• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D upgrade (1 Viewer)

MalR

My 40D had finally given up the ghost. Even though it's three years old, it has only had 19,100 shutter actuations and has been well looked after, and it's supposed to be good for 100,000 actuations. I find this rather unsatisfactory in a £1,000 camera.

Anyway, I'm now faced with the dilemma of just getting the 40D repaired or buying a 7D as an upgrade.

The trouble is that, while there are many online glowing reviews of the 7D, there are also a number of more, shall I say, "equivocal" verdicts which suggest it is not the be all and end all.

So, should I take the plunge and buy a 7D or should I just do without a camera until I can get the 40D repaired?

I'm interested in seeing the opinions of those who have had one/both of these cameras.

Thanks in advance,

Malcolm

As we all know the 40d is a cracking camera but the features of the 7d are way ahead and offer many things the 40d just carnt match,also the 7d is at a very fair price right now so a good time to upgrade ,i would say go for it.
Rob.

Only had the 40D and mine packed up at just under 69,000 clicks, fixed fee repair of 153 quid made it well again

Thought of an upgrade myself, but decided against it in the end and thought I would wait a bit longer to see what the next generation of camera brings.

Slight deviation here but I'd just like to know what is wrong with the 40D, is it showing Err99 at all?

Slight deviation here but I'd just like to know what is wrong with the 40D, is it showing Err99 at all?

Hi, Jaff.

No error message appears, but every time I press the shutter it doesn't release and the camera switches off. If I take out the battery and put it back in, the shutter frees itself, but as soon as I try to take another photo it sticks again, camera shuts down etc.

Malcolm

Sounds like the known problem with shutter contacts getting gummed up, there is a video on youtube that describes how to take the camera apart to fix it shoud you feel so inclined
Someone I know squirted electrical contact cleaner all around the shutter button and up inside the battery compartment, that did the job although did mess up a couple of the digits on the top LCD

Worth a try I reckon if you are thinking of binning the camera, know I would and not going to lose much by giving it a go.

Cheers for that, Huntso.

I probably am going to get the 40D repaired. If I do buy a 7D then at least I'll have the 40D as a back-up.

I'm just dithering because I'm not sure whether I'll find the upgrade worth the expense.

I do like the 40D.:t:

Malcolm

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back