• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I get the 100-400? (1 Viewer)

John_N

Hi,

Although not an avid birder I do like to take pictures of them, despite not having a clue what they are unless its a sparrow :)

I do have the Sigma 150-500 which is a nice lens and I have managed one great (to me) image:

Sparrow by magsnorton, on Flickr

But the bulk of them are more like these.

2011_04_18_0658 by magsnorton, on Flickr

2011_04_18_0676 by magsnorton, on Flickr

IMG_4046 by magsnorton, on Flickr

I have a gallery if that helps : here.

I know I would loose 100mm but would the clarity be better?

The only test shot I've published (the other was of a shop sign) is this:

Test shot of 100-400 by magsnorton, on Flickr

It looks nice.

I was also wondering how you guys 'n gulls (pun intended!) found the 100-400 paired with a 1.4 teleconvertor for birding.

Ta,

John

The 100-400 is usable with the 1.4x but do not forget that it will become an f8 lens so you will need good light.

I found my 100-400 at 560mm f8 to be sharper than the 150-500 at 500mm f8 and as sharp as the 50-500mm at 500mm f8 BUT results will very depending on the sharpness of each individual copy so do not quote me on this.

The best thing you can do is try one. I am sure if you went to a bird reserve such as Martin Mere you will find someone with a 100-400 who would let you try it out. I dare say someone (more local) may pop up here and arrange a meet with you. We can talk about lenses till the cows come home but there is nothing better than having a try with the lens you are considering. Just remember when you use image stabilisation you need a second for the IS to kick in and work.

On a general point that applies to everyone, if you do not reach a point when you can get the best out of your current lens then there is little point in upgrading IMHO.

Well I did try one, just at Jessops and it produced a good image which is what started all this (expensive looking) exercise off in the first place.

Thanks for the advice on upgrading, just wish I could clear the idea from my mind!!

BTW micloi, which actual TC did you use?

Probably displaying my ignorance here, but isn't the ISO rather high on many of the pictures linked to first post? I know 7D copes well, but maybe the (perceived) problem is trying to take pics in unsuitable conditions? (I say perceived, 'cos I quite like the Goose pic and the others aren't that bad!).

The ISO was high because I'd gone manual locking in a high shutter speed (probably too high) and wanted to keep f8 as I believe that is where the lens is sharpest.

I have to say I do wonder when I see images sometime how people keep all three down in apparently rubbish weather...

BTW on both the days I took those pics they were in glorious sunshine, with the exception of the flying goose.

Anyway I've just won a 100-400 so fingers crossed its a good one :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back