• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (6 Viewers)

I saw them on the Georgian side, but you could see the Turkish border flag from the lake shore.
Anyway mystery solved. They are in the Van area already, but no additions yet.

Smoothly done. Tbilisi at 9am yesterday morning and Vansjon at 7pm last night:-

http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/igoterra-ticks/

I still need the two Van specialities so I am interested whether that means an internal flight and fresh car hire or the same one way car hire and border crossing?

All the best

I still need the two Van specialities so I am interested whether that means an internal flight and fresh car hire or the same one way car hire and border crossing?

The Baku-Tbilissi-Akhalkalaki-Kars railway is going to be completed this year, so this might be a very convenient way to cross the border to Turkey in the near future. Although completion was already promised for 2010...

Also Black-headed Bunting and Bimaculated Lark added today. If they keep this pace they'll not even need a week and could really go twitching, however I have a feeling that they won't.
I wonder how bound they are to their itinerary and how much changes to it cost them.

However if they go twitching they should REALLY go for the Albatross in Germany. What else should/could they currently twitch? They could also secure Great Snipe, Aquatic Warbler and Dotterell, species where I really have worries that they might dip on

If they keep this pace they'll not even need a week and could really go twitching, however I have a feeling that they won't.
I wonder how bound they are to their itinerary and how much changes to it cost them.

However if they go twitching they should REALLY go for the Albatross in Germany. What else should/could they currently twitch? They could also secure Great Snipe, Aquatic Warbler and Dotterell, species where I really have worries that they might dip on
Maffong, I agree in principle. It appears that there has been some good birds in the West that in a perfect itinerary you should come back for around now. I guess the WW Scoter and O Pratincole in Sweden are as tempting as the Albatross.
I also believe they will not be worried about Gt Snipe & Dotterel, Urals is good for these, and in terms of Dotterel they have a back up. Aquatic Warbler has be subject of enough discussion, so I won't repeat.

They are in safe hands with Emin - he's the top Lister in Turkey and took Noah around a couple of years ago. He seems to know where to find everything!

Kurdish (Red-tailed) Wheatear tomorrow presumably? What else?

cheers, alan

Amended and updated from below......

Nemrut Dagi - Pale Rock Sparrow, Kurdistan Wheatear, Cinereous Bunting, Eastern Rock Nuthatch
Birecik - See-see Partridge, Iraq Babbler
Demarkazik & area - Snowfinch, Caspian Snowcock, Radde's Accentor
Uzancaburc & area - Kruper's Nuthatch, Olive-tree Warbler
Oymapinar Baraji - Brown Fish Owl

Cyprus - Cyprus Wheatear, Cyprus Scops Owl, Eleanora's Falcon

Generally - Red-footed Falcon

Not sure about Yelkouan Shearwater & Dalmatian Pelican? Are they targets for them in Turkey?

Attachments

• Coming Next Kurdistan.jpg
    Coming Next Kurdistan.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Coming Next Pale Rock.jpg
    Coming Next Pale Rock.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 82
  • Coming Next Iraq Babbler.jpg
    Coming Next Iraq Babbler.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Coming Next Snowcock.jpg
    Coming Next Snowcock.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 80
  • Coming Next BFOwl.jpg
    Coming Next BFOwl.jpg
    689.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
586 species now:
http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/igoterra-ticks/

And quality added: Cinereous Bunting, Eastern Rock Nuthatch and Kurdish Wheatear! Doing pretty well in Turkey...

Indeed - three nice ones out of the four targets. But the fourth is a little worrying though available further west in good years. So hoping they get Pale Rock Sparrow tomorrow as that will otherwise probably slip them by. A pity they dipped the attached bird in Kuwait.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Pale Rockfinch.jpg
    Pale Rockfinch.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Cinereous Bunting (reduced) 03.jpg
    Cinereous Bunting (reduced) 03.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Eastern Rock.jpg
    Eastern Rock.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Kurdish Wheatear.jpg
    Kurdish Wheatear.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 85
so onto Birecik and Iraq Babbler and see-see I guess; still fair chance of the Petronia. I wonder if they have an alternate Fish Owl site to save time..

cheers, a

A reference on Facebook to the fact that they were surprised to pick up Snowfinch at Nemrut Dagi (not sure why as I certainly saw it there) and that they were now off to Birecik. No mention of the Rockfinch as yet but here's hoping when they update later. Certainly, their distinctive song should have been picked up pretty easily as they headed up the mountain at dawn this morning (if they are around this year).

All the best

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back