• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I wanted to love the EL 8x32 SV (1 Viewer)

I wouldn't go for the mustache effect SV optics.
Brock, you really need to try the 8x32 sv if you then see the anomaly then make the determination.

I can't count the number of people that have peered through them and not one individual had any negative input on distortion.

You owe it to yourself and other readers as well.

You can't make a claim for a certain optic with out trying it first hand, just because you see it in binocular A doesn't mean its also in binocular B.

Something to think about,

Bryce...

If you've never bothered by "rolling ball," then you are also talking "out of school." I have and I can tell you, it ain't pretty! Just listen to some the testimonies of those who are bothered by it and their reactions, from "distracting" to "intolerable" to "nauseous." It is really one of those things you have to experience yourself to know what it's like.

Holger describes it in his technical report, and I took his distortion test, and unless the new 8x32 SV EL samples have more distortion than the one he has plotted in his distortion chart, I probably wouldn't tolerate the AMD in it or any of the SV ELs, because they all fall below my threshold.

However, given some evidence that Swaro has been tweaking the pincushion, it's possible that a recent production 8x32 SV EL would be tolerable, if so, then you're right, I would have to try it, but if it's distortion was below k=0.7, that would very likely make it unusable to me.

Besides, I was fine with the optics in original 8x32 EL, at least the late models, the one I tried was made in 2009. I didn't see any CA with it, but it was a perfect day with no high contrast backgrounds when I used it. Under extreme conditions, I probably would see CA, since I'm not immune to it, so that's why I wanted the ED glass added.

I can say with a good deal of confidence even sight unseen, that it is highly unlikely I could I tolerate the level of AMD in the original production 8.5x SV EL. Just look at his chart, it's near the bottom of the "barrel."

Holger's distortion chart

In addition, Arek from allbinos rated the distortion level in the 8,5x model as: The distance of the first curved line from the field centre compared to the field of view radius: 91% +\- 3%!!! Which is to say that there's practically no pincushion, which is why some BF members who can't tolerate this model because of the RB can tolerate the 8x32. These folks I call "semi-neural plastics," a term I coined from one of Ed's posts about "neural plasticity," which has now become all the rage thanks to Lumosity.com.

In addition to Holger's k value test and his distortion chart, further evidence lies in the fact that Arek rated the distortion in the 10x42 LXL (which I owned, and also the 10x42 Venturer LX) as: The distance of the first curved line from the field centre compared to the field of view radius : 61% +\- 3% and 69% for the 8x42 model.

So if I experienced severe RB with a bin whose distortion is rated at 61%, I can be assured that I will see it with a bin who distortion is rated at 91%.

However, some people, who are either incapable of extrapolation or don't do so based on a belief that it's unscientific, think that if you haven't tried a bin, you shouldn't comment on it. I think I made a good case for why this is untrue when it comes to extrapolating RB.

Granted, even Holger admits that his distortion results are preliminary since companies don't release distortion numbers and he's working with the data they've provided, but as a scientist I don't think he would have made the distortion chart and distortion test w/out some solid science behind it. So like Arek's reviews, there's a certain +/- error built into his results.

Fortunately, Swarovski also created the SLC-HD (now just "SLC") that has a distortion level more suited for my eyes/brain, and the image in the 10x model, at least, is almost sharp to the edge, so I don't even see the need for field flatteners.

But herein lies the reason for my comment about no "mustache distortion" in the 8x32 SV EL. As much as I like the full sized model SLC-HD, I do wish Swaro had made a midsized 8x30/32 model with the same ergonomics and similar distortion level as the full sized models, with at least a 7.8* FOV like the former SLCneu (no "pinky focuser" please!@), but preferably 8.2* like the Nikon 8x30 M7. At 7*, the CL just doesn't cut it for me, at least not for my main birding bin.

With a "bum" shoulder, 28 oz. can be a bit much during an entire day in the field; 20-22 oz. would be more to my liking for my main birding bin, and a midsized SLC-HD would fit the bill in ergos, distortion and weight.

Brock

Last edited:
Brock, I suppose what Bryce and others were referring to was that distortion is a complex phenomenon with myriad aspects to be considered. The two referred to here are a linear average of the distortion through the entire FOV (represented by a k-value) and the variation in the distortion pattern through the FOV.

Dr Merlitz's fine representations of the theoretical impression of various k-level distortions offer a great tool for understanding distortion but they do not necessarily represent what one experiences when one looks through a particular pair of binoculars, amongst other reasons because distortion through the FOV is very rarely linear. One can see this in the ELs, the Z SF and a plethora of other examples. The trick is to find the right set of compromises through the entire FOV; not only in the pattern of distortion, but also with myriad other image factors. Optical design is a sticky spider web of complexity and unfortunately it seems a cultural misunderstanding of seeing distortion as a largely independent factor within an optical design has developed. One does not simply design an optical system around distortion and see what comes out in the other optical parameters (or vice versa): changing either the overall linear distortion or the distortion pattern would always result in positive/negative effects on many other optical parameters, sometimes critically (it is not just a simple screw that one can twist and adjust at will). FOV, edge sharpness, centre field sharpness, CA, eye relief, tangential field curvature et alia are all integrally linked.

I beg of you: please, pretty please, try a variety of optical products yourself, including the ELs and the SFs before continuing to knock them or any other expression of distortion. Try to do it with an open heart and an open mind, and take your time to do it so that you can really get a feel for what they might be like in the field under real conditions (maybe a store owner will allow you to walk around a little for counters are notoriously bad places to test optics because we "test" them in a seemingly completely logical but invariably artificial and unnatural ways at a counter). I am sure that many on birdforum, my colleagues at other companies, and I would all read about your real world experience with great interest as we all benefit from the insight, thoughts and ideas shared here.
Theoretical insights and second hand experiences can be very useful but nothing beats personal experience: if one has never tried Asian food then no amount of stories, ingredient lists or images will ever really help one understand what a Thai Green Curry tastes like (a crusade from someone who has read the bible is way more believable).

Brock, I suppose what Bryce and others were referring to was that distortion is a complex phenomenon with myriad aspects to be considered. The two referred to here are a linear average of the distortion through the entire FOV (represented by a k-value) and the variation in the distortion pattern through the FOV.

Dr Merlitz's fine representations of the theoretical impression of various k-level distortions offer a great tool for understanding distortion but they do not necessarily represent what one experiences when one looks through a particular pair of binoculars, amongst other reasons because distortion through the FOV is very rarely linear. One can see this in the ELs, the Z SF and a plethora of other examples. The trick is to find the right set of compromises through the entire FOV; not only in the pattern of distortion, but also with myriad other image factors. Optical design is a sticky spider web of complexity and unfortunately it seems a cultural misunderstanding of seeing distortion as a largely independent factor within an optical design has developed. One does not simply design an optical system around distortion and see what comes out in the other optical parameters (or vice versa): changing either the overall linear distortion or the distortion pattern would always result in positive/negative effects on many other optical parameters, sometimes critically (it is not just a simple screw that one can twist and adjust at will). FOV, edge sharpness, centre field sharpness, CA, eye relief, tangential field curvature et alia are all integrally linked.

I beg of you: please, pretty please, try a variety of optical products yourself, including the ELs and the SFs before continuing to knock them or any other expression of distortion. Try to do it with an open heart and an open mind, and take your time to do it so that you can really get a feel for what they might be like in the field under real conditions (maybe a store owner will allow you to walk around a little for counters are notoriously bad places to test optics because we "test" them in a seemingly completely logical but invariably artificial and unnatural ways at a counter). I am sure that many on birdforum, my colleagues at other companies, and I would all read about your real world experience with great interest as we all benefit from the insight, thoughts and ideas shared here.
Theoretical insights and second hand experiences can be very useful but nothing beats personal experience: if one has never tried Asian food then no amount of stories, ingredient lists or images will ever really help one understand what a Thai Green Curry tastes like (a crusade from someone who has read the bible is way more believable).

Hi,

May I ask how far Holger's statement is true that the latest sv8.5x42 have less RB. Swaro did some adjsutment ? Thanks

Andy

Yes, a nice post, Dale.

But I'm afraid Brock isn't coming out of his optical bunker until he hears the tanks.

And then he's coming out with keyboards blazing! ;)

Kinda sad, but so it goes.

Mark

I've spent enough time testing, using, and comparing the 8X32 Swarovision (SV) to conclude it is one superb instrument. My wife abandoned her beloved 8X32 SE (10 years of use) in favor of HER 8X32 SV and she has no intention of "going back". I often use my SE but then I'm a bit more adventurous.

I've owned an 8.5X42 SV for some time and, if asked for an opinion on what to choose, I'd recommend the 8X32 SV for anyone and everyone who doesn't need a true low-light binocular. In some ways, I enjoy the 8X32 SV more than its big brother. It's a superb example of what can be accomplished with a 32mm objective. It's also light and compact, something I appreciate with advancing age. The star fields seen through this bin are stunning. More on that later.

I wrote something about this gem back in 2012...
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=242005
I still can't find a better 8X32.

Dale can keep his job for another year. I took advantage of the sale and a new 10X50 SV is on its way. More cold nights on my horizon.

I've spent enough time testing, using, and comparing the 8X32 Swarovision (SV) to conclude it is one superb instrument. My wife abandoned her beloved 8X32 SE (10 years of use) in favor of HER 8X32 SV and she has no intention of "going back". I often use my SE but then I'm a bit more adventurous.

I've owned an 8.5X42 SV for some time and, if asked for an opinion on what to choose, I'd recommend the 8X32 SV for anyone and everyone who doesn't need a true low-light binocular. In some ways, I enjoy the 8X32 SV more than its big brother. It's a superb example of what can be accomplished with a 32mm objective. It's also light and compact, something I appreciate with advancing age. The star fields seen through this bin are stunning. More on that later.

I wrote something about this gem back in 2012...
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=242005
I still can't find a better 8X32.

Dale can keep his job for another year. I took advantage of the sale and a new 10X50 SV is on its way. More cold nights on my horizon.

Pileatus, I think that might have been the post that got me to order the 8x32 SV! They overnighted it and a day after that I posted to the thread. And it's quite an entertaining thread by the way. Wacky stuff and all.

Almost two years later the 8x32 SV is now my favorite, pure and simple. Trouble is, its also my wife's favorite so I don't get to use it as much as I'd like to. I want to sell off a couple others and I might just buy a second 8x32 SV. Uh Oh, did I just write that? Sale ends when?

Dale should maybe cut you a commission check. ;)

Mark

Pileatus, I think that might have been the post that got me to order the 8x32 SV! They overnighted it and a day after that I posted to the thread. And it's quite an entertaining thread by the way. Wacky stuff and all.

Almost two years later the 8x32 SV is now my favorite, pure and simple. Trouble is, its also my wife's favorite so I don't get to use it as much as I'd like to. I want to sell off a couple others and I might just buy a second 8x32 SV. Uh Oh, did I just write that? Sale ends when?

Dale should maybe cut you a commission check. ;)

Mark
September 30th.
Enjoy!

I went out last night around sunset with the new El SV 8x32. It was sharp, bright, ergonomically perfect. In just a few minutes of use it became extremely comfortable to look through, looking through them felt like being part of the image. Wonderful. I did not notice any stray light or flare and no bothersome distorsion.

Hi,

May I ask how far Holger's statement is true that the latest sv8.5x42 have less RB. Swaro did some adjsutment ? Thanks

Andy

Andy, I can't speak for the El 8.5x42 SV, however I recently took advantage of the Swarovski anniversary sale and purchased a EL 8x32 SV. I noticed that the edge of the FOV shows some minor pincushioning when viewing lampposts and the edge of buildings. I can't detect any rolling ball. This could be due to my particular vision, however it could well be the result of a change in the optical formula of these latest EL 8x32 SV's.

Dale,

Thanks for your comments. I think if you've had spicy Indian curry dishes, you have a pretty good idea of what Thai curry dishes taste like, I've had both and they are similar to my tastes buds. Similarly, I know that very low distortion bins cause me to see RB, although I'm trying to understand your point about how the "other optical parameters" might impact whether or not one who is susceptible to RB sees it in a bin.

My "cultural understanding" is that if a person is very sensitive to RB, and his k value falls in the mid moderate distortion band, all these "other optical parameters" can't compensate and make a bin who k value falls below .085 such as the 8.5x SV EL workable for him, though perhaps they could influence a bin that's on the borderline of k=0.7 like the SFs or even a bit more like the 8x32, 10x50 and 12x50 SV ELs. I don't know what those "other optical parameters" are or how much they can influence one's perception of RB in low distortion binoculars. You're the first person to mention that, and you seem to be implying that those "parameters" can influence one perception of RB independent of what the bin's k-value is, is that what you're saying?

From my POV, if some people see RB in the 8x42 SF model, that means that others will, too. I don't think it takes an optical engineer to figure that out. But like the SV EL, most people won't see it or will adapt, so I don't think they have any worries about RB in the SF affecting sales, particularly from my comments on BF. But Swaro might if the SF catches fire.

Besides which, unless those other optical parameters increase the perception of RB, Zeiss should have nothing to worry about since the SF's k value is near the borderline of k=0.7, which is head and shoulders above the 8.5x and 10x SV ELs, so most people will be able to tolerate it.

However, from what you wrote above it sounds like you are saying that the SV EL or were you referring to the SF was designed without regard for its distortion level, i.e., "One does not simply design an optical system around distortion and see what comes out in the other optical parameters (or vice versa)".

Surely the optical engineers at Swarovski and Zeiss know what happens when you pour all the optical "ingredients" together in the "soup" what the final result "tastes like," and that it's not just a trial and error process?

It would be helpful to me, and I think others, if instead of being abstract, you explained in more detail what you mean by this, that is, how binoculars are designed with all the "parameters" you referred to taken into consideration, how they affect each other, and most importantly, if how they balance out were part of that design process with the SV EL, with the end result in mind that the optics would produce smooth panning for most users?

It was Carl Zeiss Jena that first introduced pincushion into the design of binoculars in the 1940s for the expressed purpose of making panning smoother, but other optics makers including Swarovski soon followed suit.

As to trying an SF or SV EL, I live in rural area without large stores such as Cabela's so it's hard to try an SF even if they were already available. However, there is a Swaro dealer that's closer. It's about a 120-mile-trip to the nearest store that might carry the SF and Kowa, already tried the LXL/Premier. It probably won't be until late spring of 2015 before I even have a chance to try an SF (provided there aren't further delays). Meanwhile, all we have to go on are the reports of the fortunate few who have had the privilege of trying one of the prototypes.

And to clarify your comment, there really aren't a "variety of optical products" with low distortion to try. AFAIK, only Nikon (HGL), Kowa (Genesis), Swaro (SV EL), and now Zeiss (SF), and each make only one binocular series with low distortion. I think there are also some military binoculars, too, with low distortion, but they have IF EPs and reticles, and are not useful for birding.

As Holger wrote:

"Most binocular manufacturers followed Zeiss' example, so that by the Mid 1950s a certain amount of distortion, according to the "angle-condition", had become the new industry standard. ....

"About 2005, a few manufacturers began to re-introduce binoculars with very low distortion, the Japanese Kowa and Nikon among them. The globe effect, virtually forgotten over the decades, was thus raising its head once again, yielding an unpleasant panning behavior of these binoculars and promoting motion sickness with some of the rather sensitive observers.

"Swarovski began to experiment with low-distortion binoculars along with their introduction of the Swarovision line in 2008. User reports about the emergence of the globe effect in these binoculars were contradictory. In short, it was getting time to understand these phenomena better, and I intensified systematic studies and computer simulations of these effects, which I had begun in 2005. The results of these studies have subsequently been published in a scientific paper [4] and are also discussed in detail in my recent book."

I'm glad he brought this issue to the fore, and in a scientific manner, since I have been trying to raise awareness of this and getting a lot of static for it, and apparently, still am, but I think this should not be "swept under the rug," and that it should be known that the binoculars mentioned above represent a departure from past designs, and it remains to be seen whether or not people will like that in the SF or prefer it over the SV EL.

I'd have to sell "the farm" to buy either one, and I'd really miss my animals. ;)

Lastly, I'd like you to either or confirm or deny what Holger and Pier have said, namely, that Swarovski has been increasing the amount of distortion (or in your new parlance tweaking those "other optical parameters") to make panning smoother for more users in the SV ELs? Yes or No?

Brock

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I'm with Brock on this. (Unlike him) I've tried a lot of the bins in question, including most of the ones in Holger's chart, and I find the plot essentially perfectly predictive of the rolling ball experience. So I think Brock is perfectly justified in crusading against unseen bins based on their k value. I crusade against bins with minimum IPD of 56 mm or more based on their listed specs because in my experience, when the IPD is listed as 56 mm or more, it doesn't fit a significant minority of potential users, and I don't see why the minimum IPD standard can't be set a few mm less to accommodate most of that potential consumer constituency. I think it is just a design oversight perpetuated by ignorance of the relevance of that spec.

I certainly prefer Brock's reasoning to the obfuscatory comments of apologists for designs that don't satisfy a good number (even if a minority) of users. Designing binocular optics is hard, and there are trade-offs inherent in the effort to maximally optimize the view...so what else is new? That's the fun of bins--they have so much "personality" as a result. Happily, for users with "off-axis" viewing interests, Zeiss (despite past obfuscatory apologist arguments as to why it wouldn't) has caved in to enthusiast demand and is about to release a bin with a flat field and low astigmatism (following the lead of Fuji, Nikon, Canon, and finally, with the SV, Swarovski). Personally, I appreciate Brock's crusade against rolling ball and Absam/Nippon rings, 'cause I don't like them. With more effort, perhaps designers can figure out how to tame them while solving the composite design equation. Some designs are already better than others in these respects. I hope, along the way, they'll also figure out how to incorporate variable-ratio focus into close-focusing alpha bins, such as the SV and SF. When it comes to placing demands on designers, I don't think there is a limit to what is reasonable to ask for (so long as it is physically possible) from bins that are competing for top honors among the ~$2500 alphas. For those elite products, there is no place for excuses.

To anyone who doesn't agree with Brock, and who likes the bins or designs he criticizes, please remember that he isn't stopping you from buying and using them. Please do so in good health and spirits, and (almost certainly*1) with his blessing! I do!

*1. I don't think I'm presuming too much here. In his campaign against high priced bins he explicitly said we were free to spend however much we want, it's just that he, and some others, have limits that he thinks the industry should take more seriously. I assume the same goes for rolling ball, Absam rings, notchy focusers, no room for thumb support, too wide of eyecups etc.

--AP

Last edited:
Brock:

It was good that Dale has responded, and I agree with his post.

I am not sure why you are on your quest to bash the Swarovision, and from what I know, your
experience using them, is just an imagine, pretend, read about it, compilation from some other comments
you have gleaned. Tell us, what is your experience with the Swarovision ?

This lack of objectivity, just leaves the many who enjoy this binocular, wondering why you would
go to such an effort to degrade this optic. I have reached my limit for anyone to question my lack
of intelligence.

You like to research, so go back and check how many times you have posted your bash on this subject.
Let us know what you find out ?

Jerry

Andy, I can't speak for the El 8.5x42 SV, however I recently took advantage of the Swarovski anniversary sale and purchased a EL 8x32 SV. I noticed that the edge of the FOV shows some minor pincushioning when viewing lampposts and the edge of buildings. I can't detect any rolling ball. This could be due to my particular vision, however it could well be the result of a change in the optical formula of these latest EL 8x32 SV's.

Thanks, Sako. It is a good news if SV really had added some pincushion to balance the "unnatural" view at the edge, though I am not sensitive to RB. I own/owned 6 Swaro bins and sold the 8.5x42 not because of RB but very bad focuser. And, partly due to unprofessional response from SW.

Hi Dale

Many thanks for your reply.
I'm sure we all appreciate your input on the forum. I know I do.

On a personnal level, I have been buying premium binoculars for about 20 years. I have owned Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss and many others over the years.
Before I buy a pair I always spend hours if not days testing them before I invest in a pair.
However, I am lucky enough to know retailers who allow me to test binoculars for hours on end away from the shop. So I can get a real feel for the product.
But please be aware, not everyone has that luxury.
To test a pair, Its usaully the case that you have to stand outside a busy shop, staring at concrete with a shop assistant on your shoulder eager for you to make up your mind up.

Its not that easy to travel hundreds of miles to a dedicated retailers who allow you to test a product in a relaxed environment before purchase....Additionally its not that easy to get "purchase on approval" from a retailer.
I for one can't just fork out £1500 to buy a product in one go, on sale or return...

On a personnal level I have had many conversations with you over the 8x32 SV distortion charectoristics.
I understand and appreciate your explanation for its presence.
However, I must say again that your adverts for Swarovision optics state "a perfect image without distortion."
I think you would be slightly cheesed off if you bought a Porsche which advertised a top speed of 160 only to find out it can only reach a 120....

That said I am a great supporter of Swarovski binoculars, along with Leica and Zeiss. But I will always be candid about my opinion, postives and negatives.
It doesn't meaning I'm knocking one of your products, just stating my subjective opinion.

If I wasn't a fan of Swarovski I would not have just bought another pair of 8x32's which I've recently contacted you about....

Cheers Tim

Brock,
As part of Mifflin County's Goose Day (Michaelmas, a Central PA thing) celebration, our shop is having a Digiscoping Demo this Saturday from 11:00-1:00. We're right in the middle of the square in Lewistown. Feel free to take a drive and try some of the Swarovision models. If you're still not a fan, I can vouch that you gave it a shot.

Last edited:
Sixty miles round trip. Estimated fuel cost: about $10 (according to MapQuest). Weather forecast looks great.

Last edited:
Off subject, but yes, great weather. The local weather guy says to be careful at Beaver Stadium this Sat. or you might roast on the Eastern side. (Think I got the side right.)

Brock,
As part of Mifflin County's Goose Day (Michaelmas, a Central PA thing) celebration, our shop is having a Digiscoping Demo this Saturday from 11:00-1:00. We're right in the middle of the square in Lewistown. Feel free to take a drive and try some of the Swarovision models. If you're still not a fan, I can vouch that you gave it a shot.

Brock, give it a shot! I'll help chip in for gas if that's what it takes to get you there!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back