• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Well, they're here. (1 Viewer)

Dennis,,
In answer to your questions in post 36:
Question 1: No, the SF is not better than the 8x32 SV. I come to that conclusion after having investigated the SF for some time during the Dutch Birdfair.
Question 2: I would not sell the 8x32SV and buy the Zeiss SF, based on my experiences described under 1.
Gijs

A balcony, a beer and a Swaro 10x42, what more could you ask except for Sofía Vergara to be sunbathing on the balcony next to you! ;)

Brock

Well, four beers, a slice of sharp and dry cheese, a Swaro 8x32, and Sophia next to me on the balcony. And the balcony should be shaded, screened to protect agains bugs, and high enough to be overlooking a rainforest with Harpy Eagles and the likes.
And a few slices of mango, chiled on ice.
See, i can ask for more. Notice semantics, above.

Well, four beers, a slice of sharp and dry cheese, a Swaro 8x32, and Sophia next to me on the balcony. And the balcony should be shaded, screened to protect agains bugs, and high enough to be overlooking a rainforest with Harpy Eagles and the likes.
And a few slices of mango, chiled on ice.
See, i can ask for more. Notice semantics, above.

Hey, it never hurts to ask! :t:

Just two questions. Are the Zeiss 8x42 SF better glass than the Swarovski 8x32 SV's and should I trade my Swaro's in on them.

Based on what I know about your preferences from some of your past posts, I suspect you would like the view of the SF more and size and weight of the SV better. You have not been one to keep one model for an extended period so it is time to put the SV on eBay!

Dear all,
Some readers asked me how to find the powerpoint "History and quality of Swarovski Optic"since they could not find it on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. If you Google the title I just mentioned the powerpoint will appear directly on your screen.
Gijs

Regarding splitting Epsilon Lyrae.
I used to do this easily when young from town. Not a hope nowadays.
The problem is that you need eyes that are good for faint stars and also have good resolution.
In addition your eyes are opened up beyond best resolution size.
Furthermore both components are faint, probably fainter than for optimum resolution.

As to focus changes day and night, part of this is to do with the wavelength of the light.
Twilight also introduces changes in wavelength.

Test charts do not always give similar results to splitting double stars or other real life resolution targets.

Dear all,
Some readers asked me how to find the powerpoint "History and quality of Swarovski Optic"since they could not find it on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. If you Google the title I just mentioned the powerpoint will appear directly on your screen.
Gijs

Gijs,

Thanks for a very interesting presentation.

Anders

Enjoy them, Richard. I love the ones I have!!

Thank you.

After a month, they still blow my mind ... and I was always impressed by the Nikon Venturer LX 10X42.

Great joy here, although I remain aghast at how much I paid for them, even on sale.

Richard

Last edited:
Thank you.

After a month, they still blow my mind ... and I was always impressed by the Nikon Venturer LX 10X42.

Great joy here, although I remain aghast at how much I paid for them, even on sale.

Richard

It should be better than your ancient Nikon Venturer LX. As Brock will attest, it had a flat field and rolling ball long before Swarovski came out with theirs although you would think that Swarovski invented and patented the flat field from what you read here.

I think LX also weighed 36 ounces and if I'm not mistaken it still used Nikon's old lead glass which some people still think was better than Nikon's new eco-glass. Then Nikon came out with the LX L (for light weight) and they followed that with the current EDG II which will give your Swarovision a run for its money in performance, not to mention price :eek!:, both of which also had flat fields.

Good luck with your new SV.:t:

Bob

Last edited:
It should be better than your ancient Nikon Venturer LX. As Brock will attest, it had a flat field and rolling ball long before Swarovski came out with theirs although you would think that Swarovski invented and patented the flat field from what you read here.

I think LX also weighed 36 ounces and if I'm not mistaken it still used Nikon's old lead glass which some people still think was better than Nikon's new eco-glass. Then Nikon came out with the LX L (for light weight) and they followed that with the current EDG II which will give your Swarovision a run for its money in performance, not to mention price :eek!:, both of which also had flat fields.

Good luck with your new SV.:t:

Bob

LX with strap and rainguard weighs 1034 gm., EL SV weighs 954 gm. with strap and rainguard.

LX with strap and rainguard weighs 1034 gm., EL SV weighs 954 gm. with strap and rainguard.

Hmmm? 2 and 1/4 pounds!

Keep the old one and use it when you are birding in a tough neighborhood. They will make a good self defense weapon when twirled around ones head!:eek!::-O

Bob

My SV weighs 914gm (32 ounce) including strap and rainguard, although the rainguard isn't Swaro's.

Geez, somebody please remind me to dump that heavy, neoprene Swaro strap! Bet I could save another 1.5 ounces. ;)

Mark

Hmmm? 2 and 1/4 pounds!

Keep the old one and use it when you are birding in a tough neighborhood. They will make a good self defense weapon when twirled around ones head!:eek!::-O

Bob

Around here, birds don't go into the tough neighborhoods. |:D|

Gave the LX to my Other Half.

Thank you.

Richard

I was aghast at how much you paid for them, too, but after a real lousy meal at Eat 'N Fart yesterday evening, the gas has finally passed. ;) [Warning to PA members: Do not order the fried chicken during the week, they freeze the leftovers from Sunday's buffet and then nuke it so it will either be cold inside or dried to pulp after they reheat it. The excellent fried chicken is now only served fresh at their Sunday brunch buffet.]

I was also very impressed with the 10x42 Venturer LX, but eventually became aghast at the "rolling ball," and started using the 35.6 oz. bin for weight lifting before finally selling it.

Unless Swaro tweaked the 10x42 SV EL's distortion to kill the RB like Pier said they tweaked the 8.5x42's latest production, when my five family-sized pickled pig's feet jars are all filled up with quarters, I'm more likely to look for an new old stock or excellent condition used 10x42 SLC-HD. Of course, first I have to finish eating the pickled pig's feet. :eat:

Brock

Last edited:
A quick note about CA in the EL 10X42 SV. I don't see much. The bright conditions today were producing horrendous CA in my Minox Porro, much more than during my trial period for the SV. The Swaro handled these severe conditions very acceptably, however they do show very slightly more than the Zed ED 2 or Kowa Genesis.

A good object to set your diopter to is a plant about 100-150 feet away. They have many offshoot branches that are good for a focus check. Antennae on roofs and buildings works well too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back