• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is it??? (1 Viewer)

Jacamar

Anyone want to have a try at these? I think these should be pretty easy to ID but there are some harder ones coming.

Have fun,

Chris

Attachments

• birds55 010 (Custom).jpg
    birds55 010 (Custom).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 203
  • birds63 002 (Custom).jpg
    birds63 002 (Custom).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 216
  • birds72 012 (Custom).jpg
    birds72 012 (Custom).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 188
Oh my! I didn't even notice that there were two birds in the second photo. You're right, the one is a Blue-grey Tanager. The other is not a Red-capped Manakin though.
#1 is a good guess, but not correct.

Last edited:
Chris in France said:
Is the first one a Great Kiskadee? I was lucky enough to snap one of these in Mexico last year and your bird looks very much like mine........

A very good guess but no, it's not a Great Kiskadee.

Could the other bird in the Blue-gray Tanager photo be a Crimson-hooded Manakin?

#1 maybe a Piratic Flycatcher?

Last edited:
Jacamar said:
A very good guess but no, it's not a Great Kiskadee.

OK, if it's neither Social Flycatcher nor a Great Kiskadee I'll go for the only other one that I know of that's similar and that's Boat-billed Flycatcher.

Larry Lade said:
Could the other bird in the Blue-gray Tanager photo be a Crimson-hooded Manakin?

#1 maybe a Piratic Flycatcher?

Sorry, neither of those are right. Keep on trying!

Chris in France said:
OK, if it's neither Social Flycatcher nor a Great Kiskadee I'll go for the only other one that I know of that's similar and that's Boat-billed Flycatcher.

Not a Boat-billed Flycatcher either. There are several other similar species that haven't been mentioned...

Hmm...well I don't know what it is without looking up the books. Can't do that now since I'm about to sign off and I'm away for a couple of days. Will log on when I get back to learn the answer. Most intriguing!

I'll add the Lesser Kiskadee to the list of possibles for number 1. And there's at least one more but I can't think of the name right now and don't have my guides with me.

Regarding 1: While there have been several good guesses, most of them are relatively straight forward to exclude. The question is if we're looking at a Rusty-margined or a Lesser Kiskadee. All the others mentioned in this thread either don't have the rufous margins to the wing or the white eye-brows meet differently at the back of the head. Usually (but not always, that is the problem in this case), the white eye-brows of the Lesser appear more drawn down towards the mantle (almost as much as in some Great Kiskadees). Thus my primary guess is Rusty-margined. As for #3 I just can't think of anything else but the Yellow-green Grosbeak that could look like that, but perhaps the hidden face/bill is fooling me and it certainly does look duller than any Yellow-green Grosbeak I remember seeing.

Last edited:
#1 is a Lesser Kiskadee. Good job, Dave. (I think Lesser Kiskadee was your guess?)
It had a long, thin bill compared to Rusty-margined, and its voice was very distinct as well.

#2. No one else wants to guess? Ok, here's a hint: The bird is bigger than it actually looks. In fact, it is slightly larger than the Blue-grey Tanager that is in the same photo.

#3. No, it's not a Yellow-green Grosbeak. Hint: Notice the white eyebrow.

Larry Lade said:
And Chris said that these should be easy to ID!

You guys think he was "pulling our leg"!

Well I didn't think they would be too hard, but that's easy for me to say because I already know what they are. ;)

Last edited:
James Lowther said:
Is no 3 a grayish saltator??

Correct. Good Job!

Now only #2 is left. Once someone guesses that correctly I will post the second batch of mystery photos.

Last edited:
Rasmus Boegh said:
2) Red-capped Cardinal?

Yes! #2 is a Red-capped Cardinal.

Good job, guys! Now here's the second batch.

Attachments

• birds30 017 (Custom).jpg
    birds30 017 (Custom).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 124
  • birds75 004 (Custom).jpg
    birds75 004 (Custom).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 139
  • birds77 028 (Custom).jpg
    birds77 028 (Custom).jpg
    15 KB · Views: 144
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back