• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mexico (1 Viewer)

peteruk

I have just returned from a holiday in Mexico. I managed to incorporate some birding and saw many lifers. I do not have a bird book to look these up and was wondering if anyone can suggest one? It may be that a North Amercian book will cover the majority on the species seen. Thanks in anticipation. (P.S. Hi to Elizabeth following your referral to this site)

Hi Peter,

We have at least one member from Mexico, so I will let him, or someone else recommend a guide for you.

In the meantime, on behalf of all the Moderators and the Admin Team, let me wish you a warm WELCOME to BirdForum.

While you wait for a reply, why not post a thread in Say Hello, and introduce yourself "formally".

Looking forward to a report on your Mexican trip, if you don't mind :t:

Hi Peter and Birdman

I spent five weeks in Mexico and Belize this summer and can thoroughly recommend Steve Howell and Sophie Webb's Guide to the birds of Mexico and Northern Central America.

Birdman, I have a report available too - it is already on the net though. 'Birding and duding in Yucutan and Belize' you are welcome to use it on your site. If it's not okay for u to find it via a search and copy it I can send another version.

Peter,
I'll have to second Tim's recommendation of Howell's Guide as the best guide here. However, as most guides, it doesn't have illustrations for all the birds. So, for a guide with the most complete number of illustrations it's Ernest Preston Edward's 'A fieldguide to the birds of Mexico and adjacent areas..'. This Guide is not as well done, it just has the most illustrations in one place (and they are not always where you'd expect them, as during later editions, new images have been "filled in" wherever they would fit on the old color plates).

A better option would be the Howell guide and then supplement that with either Sibley's guide (see message on small guides in the Books / Mags forum http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=8983 ) or Peterson's Eastern and Western North American Birds books (2 separate books).

Mexico has about 1000 species and of these about 600 of them are also in the US.

Hope you enjoyed your trip. Looking forward to hearing a little bit about it. Where did you go, what did you see?

Last edited:
Hi all,

Having had the privelige of doing a little birding with Steve Howells on his local patch (and scoring a county first!), and having spent some time with his book; I can only say that he is a very skilled observer and Sophie is a terrific compliment to him.

Peteruk, tell us more........seems to be a great area.

Andy.

Thanks for your suggestion

Great gads you guys are good - what a forum!!!!!

Many thanks for your suggestions - Howell's Guide sounds like a good start. When I was birding, a guide showed me the great tome by the Audubon Society which was mouth watering. Unfortunately it was also huge and equally expensive. Maybe one day...

Cheers again - Pete ^Y^

Peter,

Glad to help and we ARE waiting to hear about your trip :cool:

Tim,
Sounds like you had a great trip here this summer. I'm attaching a link to your trip report that you mentioned:
Tim's report

We went to Chichen Itza the previous summer and the most incredible thing we saw there (birdwise) was in the back of the building they call the Nunnary. A group of Turquoise-browed Motmots are breeding colonially inside the ruins!
I spent an hour sitting outside the ruins watching them come and go carrying food to the young. And what a racket (no pun intended) they made inside the ruin. That was an incredible sound as there must have been at least 50 nests judging by the activity.

Hi
I visited the Yucatan and N. Chiapas Feb 2002. I used the Howell and Webb guide but really needed a North America guide also as many species are not illustrated in the Howell guide. I found the National Geographic guide to be very suitable, especially for the waders, herons and warblers. I'll be going back in Feb 2004 to Oaxaca.

Birding aournd Oaxaca (Mexico)

Hello!

I am looking for any kind of information regarding
birding around Oaxaca: is it a good place and when is
the best period to visit it ? how many bird species
can we expect in this area ?

Any kind of advice will be a great help for us !!!

cheers,
Didier

Dipper said:
Hi
I visited the Yucatan and N. Chiapas Feb 2002. I used the Howell and Webb guide but really needed a North America guide also as many species are not illustrated in the Howell guide. I found the National Geographic guide to be very suitable, especially for the waders, herons and warblers. I'll be going back in Feb 2004 to Oaxaca.

Didier,
Oaxaca is a fantastic place for birding. The best time of the year in my opinion is April when the dawn chorus is at it's peak. However, anytime between October to April is good. This gives the cooler weather and most of the Northern migrants are in for the winter.

The best trip planning I can recommend is a copy of Steve Howell's 'A Bird-finding Guide to Mexico'. He has an entire chapter on Oaxaca. Near the city of Oaxaca there are the ruins and then a good site about an hour outside of town up in the mountains near "La Cumbre". We saw our Mountain Trogon here.

On a separate trip we went to Huatulco on the coast in the state of Oaxaca. Here is a brief trip report for: Huatulco

Hope you have a good trip. There are some fantastic birds to be seen there as well as a wonderful culture to experience.

check out the Mexico reports on http://www.fatbirder.com in the World Birding section under North America, there are some good trip reports on there including one of mine with lots of photos. If I remember correctly Oaxaca has the second longest list in Mexico, only neighbouring Chiapas has a longer list.

Adrian

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back