• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit spp, Worlds End , Wales ,UK , in May (1 Viewer)

It's nothing to do with your pipit post albional, it could have happened on any I.D posted on here. With a recent article on Birding frontiers about Meadow Pipits with superciliunm and yellowish wash in Autumn saying they were none British breeders, I put this forward however Roy suggested this is not the case and so others joined in on the debate.
Chris then made some offensive remarks whilst doing so and now has apologised.

Sorry, but what I said is not what is implied here. I pointed out that British breeding Meadow Pipits can have a pale supercilium, I did not mention the yellowish wash to the upperparts at all. My point was about the supercilium and remains that.

Cheers

Roy

Those are two crackers :t:

Of course, this thread should never be forgotten, where a moderator posted a helpful link to a website...leading to over 14,000 posts, several members quitting BF and I'm pretty sure that was the thread that led to me getting two final warnings from mods/admin in one day. I'm a much reformed character now B :)

cheers
martin

Some cracking threads, heaven forbid the day we all post the same old boring stuff.

Since there probably never will be that sticky, another one people should be aware of is of course > THIS <

This was also quite random, but probably quite appropriate.

My favourite, which I can't locate, was the guy who had I think he settled on, Hume's Wheatear on his house on the south coast and is familier with birds as he keeps Porcelain vaces with colourful birds on them, shame I can't locate that one, it always brightened up a dull day.

My favourite, which I can't locate, was the guy who had I think he settled on, Hume's Wheatear on his house on the south coast and is familier with birds as he keeps Porcelain vaces with colourful birds on them, shame I can't locate that one, it always brightened up a dull day.

Or the numpty who wouldn't agree that a raptor in Suffolk was a partially leucistic juvenile Marsh Harrier! He even said he'd dress as a banana at the next twitch if he was wrong.

Now that was a classic thread :t: Coincidentally it came to mind a couple of weeks ago, when a Marsh Harrier flew past...pristine plumage, and completely dark. Head, body, wings, tail - not even one feather that obviously differed from any of the others. Just looked back at that thread now, and amazed to see it was as far back as 2006 :eek!:

cheers
martin

Or the numpty who wouldn't agree that a raptor in Suffolk was a partially leucistic juvenile Marsh Harrier! He even said he'd dress as a banana at the next twitch if he was wrong.

Of course I'm not entertaining the idea of an actual Hume's on roof in England.......but......the only record of White-crowned Wheatear in Portugal was a 1st yr male that spent a couple of hours on the tiled roof of A Rocha's observatory near Alvor, Algarve in March 2001. The building is surrounded by tall trees and lush lawns! It was a bizarre sight indeed. Pics here when it was in the garden http://www.avesdeportugal.info/oenlcp.html

Now that was a classic thread :t: Coincidentally it came to mind a couple of weeks ago, when a Marsh Harrier flew past...pristine plumage, and completely dark. Head, body, wings, tail - not even one feather that obviously differed from any of the others. Just looked back at that thread now, and amazed to see it was as far back as 2006 :eek!:

cheers
martin

Jeez....it's still gets discussed! Lol

I did buy a banana costume. I will keep to my word one day and turn up at a twitch wearing it.

.........., although hopefully visiting Iceland (the other one) soon so will see what I can make of their facial expressions whilst out there ... )

It's usually one of ' I'm about to explode with laughter ' as they feed rotten Shark to visitors. Dunno about the Pipits though. :smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back