• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

?Whinchat Today in Gloucestershire (1 Viewer)

I've been editing some old video today and this is a still of a Whinchat in October 1999 for comparison.

Attachments

• whinchat.JPEG
    whinchat.JPEG
    99.3 KB · Views: 131
It's nice to see the responses after someone puts a negative spin on things.

I am very pleased to see the support for us newbies on the forum. That is the great thing here, we have a great resource of friendly and very experienced birders. Keep up the good work guys!

PS. AlanR: Post anything mate, and ignore the idiotic comments.

Pete

Thanks for all the comments above.
I do try to identify birds by myself first with my four separate Field Guides (including Collins) but sometimes the books don't show pictures from all directions, pictures are often poor quality and incomplete, and not all birds are exact matches to the standard book pictures.
I have come to know that any doubtful bird will be identified by BF in a matter of minutes and I have learned to live with occasional negative comments. I am also happy for positive criticism which will help me next time.
I have to admit that with some birds - especially immature gulls - I tend to go straight to BF.
Alan
;););)

I do try to identify birds by myself first with my four separate Field Guides (including Collins) but sometimes the books don't show pictures from all directions, pictures are often poor quality and incomplete, and not all birds are exact matches to the standard book pictures.
I have come to know that any doubtful bird will be identified by BF in a matter of minutes and I have learned to live with occasional negative comments. I am also happy for positive criticism which will help me next time.
I have to admit that with some birds - especially immature gulls - I tend to go straight to BF.
Alan
;););)

I don't even do that. I've long since given up on immature gulls. In fact I honestly believe that they are a separate and undefinable species all of their own, which for reasons unknown to man somebody has decided to tack arbitrarily onto all the other gull species to cause mischief and confusion.;)

To me there are Herring Gulls, Yellow Legged Gulls, LBBs, GBBs and Those Scruffy Ones.;)

Alan
;););)

Hi Alan,

I think ALL of us have been where you are now, but I do admire you being able to overlook the ignorance displayed in 1 or 2 posts here, there's no excuse for it whatsoever!

Far better to have a look in your book to see if you can ID it yourself and put it on here to be really certain rather than IDing it wrongly. Where Gulls are concerned I think we all struggle with them, apart from JanJ and a few others!

Best of luck Alan, you're doing well!

Sue.

Hi Alan, don't be put off by negative answers. Sometimes experienced birders (thankfully only a minority) get an arrogant streak towards beginners but we all have to start somewhere. I have been birding since the mid 70's and was almost put off in the beginning by older (and supposedly wiser) birders but thankfully I stood my ground and continue to gain enormous pleasure from my birdwatching

Happy birding, John

Hey Alan

As others have said we all have to start somewhere. I can see why you might initially have thought Whinchat, but the important thing is you eventually worked it out for yourself.

Sean

There are uk records of Whinchat in January. I saw one on the Bucks/Berks borders on 1 January a few years ago. Can't remember which one off the top of my head

Joan

Joan, the Whinchat that tried to wintered in along the Jubilee River in Bucks was in 2002/03 - last seen in late Jan '03.

It was there the same time as the Black-throated Diver just a bit further along at Taplow, which remains the last Black-throated to be seem in the county, five years back... (and is on my list ;))

One point i do have to make, finding a Whinchat in the middle of winter in Norfolk? it has to have about a million to one chance of being one (i'm probabily being kind with those odds). Checking the text next to the picture in Collins to find out the odds of occurance in a given season normal helps.

Its not Rocket science folks.......

AlanR; said:
Alan
;););)

Alan... one of the things to get the hang of is to try and get the family. Things like bill shape are a big clue here. Other things like tail length/shape (forked rounded etc) can help too.

BobTag; said:
Here we go again!!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=

One day, the mods will realise that the only way that this will stop happening is to split the forums...

An alternative method would be for people to respond to threads in something approximating the manner they would like to be responded to themselves. Just a thought.... just for a grounding experience, anyone who feels confident with this bird, have a crack at one of the next African or South American ID threads using only a field guide.

Joan, the Whinchat that tried to wintered in along the Jubilee River in Bucks was in 2002/03 - last seen in late Jan '03.

It was there the same time as the Black-throated Diver just a bit further along at Taplow, which remains the last Black-throated to be seem in the county, five years back... (and is on my list ;))

I too saw that Black Throated Diver that day then had to hot tail it back to Stockers for a very local Lesser Scaup.

Joan

An alternative method would be for people to respond to threads in something approximating the manner they would like to be responded to themselves. Just a thought.... just for a grounding experience, anyone who feels confident with this bird, have a crack at one of the next African or South American ID threads using only a field guide.

well said jane. i'll bet that they would have no chance of getting it right?

People people calm down,a bit of rib tickling never hurt anybody did it.Anyway at least u can use a camera.A dam fine house sparrow that one!Merry christmas.

People people calm down,a bit of rib tickling never hurt anybody did it.Anyway at least u can use a camera.A dam fine house sparrow that one!Merry christmas.

I can't wait till I know everything about birds like you then I'll be able to take the micky out of everyone else
Nice one

Why is it that whenever a seemingly 'easy' bird is put up for ID we always get some smart-@rse trying to denegrade the poster? Learn to use a Bird-Guide? - Here's a suggestion, if the bird's THAT easy (AND has already been identified in the thread previously) then b*gger off to another thread!
I don't see these same names lining up to comment on the gull threads!!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back