• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South american Anthus sp (1 Viewer)

canutus

Can someone pls help me IDing this Pipit? Photo was taken in Punta Rasa, 350km southeast of Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Anthus sp1.jpg
    Anthus sp1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 233
Based on the streaked flanks and location I´d say it´s a Correndera Pipit/Anthus correndera, but I´m no SA pipits expert so will wait for confirmation (or not!).

Saludos

Eduardo

That is one of the posibilities, but shouldnt the streaked flanks be more contrasted? What about Hellmayr`s pipit/A.hellmyri?

Correndera has rather hefty streaking both on the chest and flanks and usually a rather clear malar; far more distinct than in this bird. Furthermore, while not visible from this angle, Correndera has two distinctive white stripes on the back. There's a whole bunch of Correndera's here:

http://www.arthurgrosset.com/sabirds/correnderapipit.html

Short-billed has flanks that essentially are unstreaked, usually has a slightly more distinct malar and broader, more distinct streaking on the chest that stops rather abruptly, leading to a relatively distinct contrast with its whitish belly. It obviously isn't an Ochre-breasted (which, btw, also would be out of range though certainly not impossible). So, we're left with Yellowish and Hellmayr's. Assuming the bird in this thread really is the colour below that it seems to be on my monitor I'd say we're looking at a Hellmayr's rather than a Yellowish. Furthermore, normally the streaking on the chest of the Yellowish is somewhat heftier and it usually lack streaking on the lower flanks (however, neither of these features are certain as I have seen Yellowish that had streaking on the lower flanks, as well as chest-streaking that was as fine as in Hellmayr's). Finally, depending on the experiance of the photographer, I assume he would have noticed the small size of the Yellowish (noticably smaller than most other pipits in South America, incl. Hellmayr's).

Last edited:
I knew I was wrong ha ha! Now I´ve checked the books I didn´t yesterday, I agree it looks more like a Hellmayr´s than anything. Fortunately Rasmus is back and showed us a bit more of his vast knowledge on SA birds (on any birds in fact).
Saludos

Eduardo

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back