• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Great Knot? (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hi all. I took these pic this afternoon of a lone wader on one of the local beaches. I'm certain it's either a Red Knot or Great Knot juvenile. I'm leaning towards the latter due to the long bill but I have to confess I've never actually seen one before. I saw lots of Red Knot in the UK naturally. It had a whiteish rump (but it hardly flew at all) and dark scapulars but that could apply to both species. Any ideas?

Attachments

• knot?1.jpg
    knot?1.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 299
  • knot?2.jpg
    knot?2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 294
How to split from Red Knot on these views?

A good pic makes life much easier. The bill of Great Knot is longer and especially deep at the base. Your pix show this really well.

In the field Great Knot often looks somewhat awkward, angular and ungainly - long body, short legs deep chest all add to this impression. The white rump is not much help in Asia. The legs are often darker, too.

For comparative images of Asian races check out
Oriental Bird Images

We get both through HK, but Great is much the commoner and as it winters, its its around for much more of the year.

I had a great trip to Hokkaido in October last year - basically Lake Furen and the ferry to Tokyo from Tomakomai - HK is wonderful, but I envy you your big open spaces, clean environment and the best sushi on the planet!

Mike

Hi Mike-glad you enjoyed Hokkaido. I went to Furen-ko on May. It's a great place. Yes the sushi is pretty good here. Shame about all the snow in winter though...............guess you're spared that in HK.

One thing that's missing in my corner of Hokkaido is decent shorebird habitat (not a single decent estuary. I grew up on the Ribble). So for me the sight of 1 Great Knot was pretty exciting. In Hakodate the usual waders are only Common Sandpiper and Grey Tailed Tattler (neither of which are really estuarine species).

stuprice68 said:
Hi Mike-glad you enjoyed Hokkaido. I went to Furen-ko on May. It's a great place. Yes the sushi is pretty good here. Shame about all the snow in winter though...............guess you're spared that in HK.

One thing that's missing in my corner of Hokkaido is decent shorebird habitat (not a single decent estuary. I grew up on the Ribble). So for me the sight of 1 Great Knot was pretty exciting. In Hakodate the usual waders are only Common Sandpiper and Grey Tailed Tattler (neither of which are really estuarine species).

Hi Stu.

Actually the best thing about going in October is that I will have to come back twice for the birds I really want to see! Stellers Sea Eagle in the winter (which I guess is some compensation for the snow), and Middendorff's and Gray's Grasshopper Warblers in spring/summer.

I guess what you lose in waders you gain in seabirds - the ferry trips were just amazing - Laysan & Black-footed Albatrosses, plus Providence Petrels were my highlights (and a pod of Bryde's Beaked Whales), but I managed not to see a single alcid in the whole trip, despite looking at a couple of known sites! Still, Harlequin was a lifer and a half!

Mike

MKinHK said:
Hi Stu.

Actually the best thing about going in October is that I will have to come back twice for the birds I really want to see! Stellers Sea Eagle in the winter (which I guess is some compensation for the snow), and Middendorff's and Gray's Grasshopper Warblers in spring/summer.

I guess what you lose in waders you gain in seabirds - the ferry trips were just amazing - Laysan & Black-footed Albatrosses, plus Providence Petrels were my highlights (and a pod of Bryde's Beaked Whales), but I managed not to see a single alcid in the whole trip, despite looking at a couple of known sites! Still, Harlequin was a lifer and a half!

Mike

Hi again Mike. We get Stellers Sea Eagle near here in winter. There are also a few Grays Grasshopper Warbler but they are IMPOSSIBLE to see. Lots of Rhinoceros Auklet offshore in spring too........

I've never done that ferry trip. I really want to see an Albatross (any species would be ok). That trip is on my list of things to do. I've never seen a Whale either. Although you can buy whalemeat in my local supermarket (and "whaleburger" in the local fast food joint).

stuprice68 said:
Hi again Mike. We get Stellers Sea Eagle near here in winter. There are also a few Grays Grasshopper Warbler but they are IMPOSSIBLE to see. Lots of Rhinoceros Auklet offshore in spring too........

I've never done that ferry trip. I really want to see an Albatross (any species would be ok). That trip is on my list of things to do. I've never seen a Whale either. Although you can buy whalemeat in my local supermarket (and "whaleburger" in the local fast food joint).

Hi Stu

The ferry is not only great birding - its great value! You get a full day at sea and the cost of a accomodation all for the same bargain price! The food is nothing to shout about, but many birders have survived on far worse!

I went from Oarai toTomakomai on the way, and the same on the way back. The best section for me was out of sight of land in the northern section of both crossings. I've attached my written account if you're interested to read further.

I have not included logistics as I can't remember the cost or how to book, sorry.

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• Japan Oct 05.doc
    46 KB · Views: 215
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back