• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull flight ID help (1 Viewer)

These gulls were seen in New Jersey. The left bird is a laughing gull, but the bird on the right seems to be smaller and has a different appearance. It almost seems to be a kittiwake, but not quite. Is this just simply a laughing gull?

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 389
Clearly smaller than the Laughing Gull. Does look a little like a Kittiwake (especially that collar) but you can't see the colour of the bill.

Could it be a Bonapartes Gull? Don't have a field guide with me and I can't remember whether they have a collar. Looks like quite a dainty bird.

Bit strange - the head pattern looks a bit like Bonaparte's Gull, but the underwing is completely wrong for that, and looks just typical Laughing Gull. I'd suspect probably just a Laughing Gull with an unusually pale head, but it would be nice to see another pic or two of it if you have more - particularly any that show the bill & head better.

It is also still in primary moult, which makes the wings look shorter - I'm not convinced it is actually smaller.

Michael

Did it look diffrent structurely in the field? The underwing looks pure Laughing Gull and just about rules everything else out. It looks worryingly short winged and in particular short (and not droopy) billed. If that isn't just the effect of camera angle you may well have a hybrid here. Oh...and wasn't there a runt Laughing Gull in Dorset about 15-20 years ago that gave all sorts of problems...getting reported as Franklin's mostly....my memory is failing me!

I know this bird was not a Bonie, as the first several primaries are not white. It did seem to be smaller than the other birds in the flock. We had seen two juv kittiwakes in this group, but I'm thinking this is probably just a molting Laughing gull at a strange camera angle.

I must confess that I'd go for Black-legged Kittiwake. Maybe I'm getting too hung up on the neck collar, but it seems to me that the underwing pattern is not the same as the Laughing Gull. The fore-edge of the wing is solidly black and contrasts (slightly) with the rest of the dark area in the underwing. It's unlike the LG in that respect. An odd bird, though.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back