• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (27 Viewers)

A quick trip to Cromwell Bottom Nature Reserve Nr Brighouse this lunchtime brought breathtaking views of a kingfisher, stood on the canal path and the little beauty flew towards me and sat on a branch opposite me, very obliging and even caught & ate a fish, felt so lucky! Really bad light so pictures didnt come out great but managed a couple of ok images.

Attachments

• king 2.JPG
    king 2.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 88
  • king 4.JPG
    king 4.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 93
Quite ironic after the most productive year in terms of species seen ever(254 at the last count?), the year ends on quite a low note. Surely if the road is permanently closed it would seriously hamper any future chances of equalling or beating this record? The point looks a hell of a long way away on those photos!

I don't think it would hamper chances of beating the record, but would hamper individuals getting big year lists! we have bikes and the walk is brilliant when there has been a fall.

A mixed day!!!

Started off so well,nice sunrise and off to filey for 8am promising start with pic 1 despite the biting strong wind (it was a real struggle to stand in it) but then nothing out of the ordinary, so went off to filey dams loads of redshank but not much else so headed home via tophill (lots of development work going on but will be awesome when its finished) stacks of curlew,teal,widgeon,and a good size flock of white fronted geese,also cormorant,mutes,redshank,GSW,100+ fieldfare,buzzard,shovelors, and great,marsh,willow,coal and blue tits.Then it all came to an abrupt end courtesy of pic 3 (im sure these things are following me!!!)

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 81
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 76
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 72
Started off so well,nice sunrise and off to filey for 8am promising start with pic 1 despite the biting strong wind (it was a real struggle to stand in it) but then nothing out of the ordinary, so went off to filey dams loads of redshank but not much else so headed home via tophill (lots of development work going on but will be awesome when its finished) stacks of curlew,teal,widgeon,and a good size flock of white fronted geese,also cormorant,mutes,redshank,GSW,100+ fieldfare,buzzard,shovelors, and great,marsh,willow,coal and blue tits.Then it all came to an abrupt end courtesy of pic 3 (im sure these things are following me!!!)

I see you got a lot better pic of the Chinook than I did - see yesterday's blog from Tophill!

Just back from the Gambia, will put a report together hopefully over the next few days.

That's a fantastic looking wheatear, don't think I'll be catching up with it unless it is a very long stayer.

The same high tide surge that took the Spurn road again caused havoc at Donna Nook either washing many Seal pups into the dunes and others out to sea, see report below from LNU Website: http://www.lnu.org/ News of Lincolnshire Wildlife

*** Seal News ***Rob Lidstone-Scott wrote on 27/11:Seal counts: 27 November 2011 13:10Bulls: 335Cows: 969Pups: 1140 John Walker writes on 28/11/2011With the storm force NW winds in Scotland on Sunday a huge surge tide came down the North Sea with water overtopping much of the foredunes and causing havoc at Donna Nook and the seal colony. It'sone of the highest tides I've seen in 31 years living at Coastguard cottage. See the Trust webpage: http://www.lincstrust.org.uk/wildlife/index.php#380 This says:Monday 28 NovemberBeach and viewing area closed to all visitorsAn unusually high tide has washed away part of the fence and damaged the path. Seals are spread throughout the public viewing area, pups have become separated from their mothers and some pups have been washed out to sea. The viewing area is currently closed to all visitors. The distressed seals need peace and quiet in order for mothers to relocate their pups. In addition, with seals within the public viewing area, public safety cannot be guaranteed.

This same high tide surge caused a problem at Blacktofts in that it washed away some of the footpath to Marshland and Zerox hides. They were closed for a while for repair but are now open. On the other hand it brought in some needed water around Ousefleet hide esp.
The M Harriers were showing well with 7 in the air and later 2 Ringtails near to roost time. There were clouds of Lapwing/Golden Plover over the far south Wolds ridge and several skein of Pink Footed coming noisily into roost on the fields to the S/East of the reserve. A sizable of flock ( 100+ ) of Fieldfare flitting and chatting around the C/P were probably unsettled by a woman walking 3 dogs off lead adjacent to this C/P.
Joe

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back