• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds if India book (1 Viewer)

It is as a reference work, but not as a field guide. It is also very difficult to get hold of these days. Amazon have one but you'll have to pay £194 for it.

Darrell

Darrell Clegg said:
It is as a reference work, but not as a field guide. It is also very difficult to get hold of these days. Amazon have one but you'll have to pay £194 for it.

Darrell
I think there are several books by these authors, including a mammoth reference work Darrel may be referring to.
The smaller field guides are sold in many configurations. In the States, we have them from Princeton University Press and there are editions which cover the entire subcontinent including Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. Or, you can find editions to subregions which cover fewer species but offer larger illustrations and more detailed species accounts and localized range maps.
Here is a search result on Amazon UK which shows some of the many editions: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...pe=ss&index=books-uk&field-author=Tim Inskipp

Which edition to use depends on your needs and interests. Also beware there may be previous editions still for sale amongst revised ones. This happened with the SASOL guide to southern Africa. Try to be sure you are getting the latest revision.

Last edited:
Hello, thanks for replying. #i think #i will opt for the "Birds of South India" or "Birds of the Indian Subcontinent" both by G, I & I, I believe.

I need it to be as lightweight as possible and these seem my best option.

I wonder if they are available in Cochin!

:brains:

Also look at Kazmierczak & Perlo field guide, both this and the Inskips field guides are excellent. Also now essential to get hold of The Ripley Guide by Rasmussen & Anderson due to the rather 'advanced' taxonomic decisions the authors have taken in the book, though isn't ideal as a field guide, more as a reference (weighs 3kg).

James Eaton said:
Also look at Kazmierczak & Perlo field guide, both this and the Inskips field guides are excellent. Also now essential to get hold of The Ripley Guide by Rasmussen & Anderson due to the rather 'advanced' taxonomic decisions the authors have taken in the book, though isn't ideal as a field guide, more as a reference (weighs 3kg).

Thanks for the suggestion. The 3 KG book will be peeked at whenever possible! :egghead:

Does anyone know a good "birding" bookshop in London? Preferably in the SW area...

Another question from I!

Does the "Birds of South India" field guide also cover the Andamans?

It'd be handy if any bookshops near me stocked any books such as these so I could look myself eh?

tsk

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back