• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shearwater Estate, Whitburn List (2 Viewers)

Mark Harper

World Birder
Last weekend I moved into my new home on the Shearwater estate in Whitburn, County Durham. It is on the edge of Whitburn Coastal Park and about 300 metres from the sea, which can just be seen through a gap in the houses from the spare bedroom. There is great potential for a good garden list, as in the last two years I have seen over 170 species within a mile of my new house. In fact the previous owner was a birder and recorded Barred, Yellow-browed and Greenish Warblers all in the garden, despite having a cat and the garden being largely paved over with just a few trees. It is my intention to create a more wildlife friendly garden and hopefully this will bring in a few good birds. I will be keeping a record her of the improvements to the garden and the species seen in and from the garden.

Not much time to look for birds in the first few days other than brief tea breaks in the garden. I did however eventually get around to setting up the telescope in the spare bedroom to add a few seabirds to the list.

The list so far:-
1. Starling
2. Woodpigeon
3. House Martin
4. Herring Gull
5. Sparrowhawk
6. Feral Pigeon
7. Carrion Crow
8. House Sparrow
9. Linnet
10. Goldfinch
11. Swallow
12. Black-headed Gull
13. Magpie
14. Jackdaw
15. Collared Dove
16. Blue Tit
17. Tree Sparrow
18. Greenfinch
19. Gannet
20. Kittiwake
21. Sandwich Tern
22. Great Black-backed Gull
23. Swift
24. Guillemot
25. Fulmar
26. Manx Shearwater
27. Arctic Skua
28. Common Tern

A 30 minute seawatch last night added a few new species, but best was this morning when I looked out to see a White-beaked Dolphin going past.

29. Common Scoter
30. Common Gull
31. Oystercatcher
32. Bonxie
33. Whimbrel
34. Redshank
35. Razorbill

A few common birds added over the weekend. Hopefully the easterly winds will bring in something today.

36. Teal
37. Blackbird
38. Robin
39. Great Tit
40. Wren
41. Blackcap

Managed to connect with a couple of Black Terns, which given the recent influx was a species I had been hoping for.

42. Grey Heron
43. Black Tern

Latest additions over the weekend.

44. Chiffchaff
45. Golden Plover
46. Red-throated Diver
47. Little Gull

Last edited:
Spent most of yesterday in Whitburn obs with plenty passing that would have been visible from the house, e.g. Wigeon, Pintail, Sooty Shearwater, Shag, etc, but couldn't see anything of note in the 10 minutes I spent looking, although whilst eating lunch I did see a new bird in the garden.

48. Dunnock

A 40 minute seawatch this morning failed to turn up the hoped for Sooty or Balearic Shearwater, but one new species was added.

49. Wigeon

Sunday afternoon raptor watch failed to turn up a Buzzard despite there being several seen just to the west. This mornings 20 minute seawatch produced 3 Sooties and 9 Skuas, which possibly included a Pom or two, but were too distant to be nailed.

50. Kestrel
51. Pied Wagtail
52. Sooty Shearwater
53. Shag

A paltry return considering the easterly winds over the last week with only one species added. I keep hearing Curlew from the garden, but have so far failed to clap eyes on one, so it is staying off the list for now.

54. Meadow Pipit

Managed a shot of the Coal Tit in the garden today and added another species that flew over.

57. Peregrine

Attachments

• Coal Tit 1 (1024x770).jpg
    Coal Tit 1 (1024x770).jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 127
Highlight of the weekend was a Sparrowhawk that took one of four Collared Doves that had been feeding in the garden. Would have been better if it had taken the Woodpigeon that sits on the bird table and doesn't leave until there is nothing left though. Did manage to add another species to the list after I heard them calling and dashed upstairs to see them in the distance.

59. Pink-footed Goose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back