• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Hawks hunt at night (2 Viewers)

FreewareCityCOM said:
Do Hawks hunt at night and if no, what is the latest and earliest that they do hunt
Hi,

Peregrines certainly do. Type 'night hunting peregrines' into Google, there are several .pdfs you can download on the subject. The Radio 4 program that pops up on Google talks abought night hunting if I remember rightly, so it might be worth having a listen.

Jonathan

I was on holday in Menorca a couple of years ago in an apartment overlooking the bay at Cala En Porter. A peregrine hunting the pigeons often turned up at dusk, flying so close I could hear the wind through its feathers. On one occasion it came by when it was as near to fully dark as made no difference.

keith richter said:
Falcons do but others like Redtails and more dont hunt at night. ;)

I have trapped Red-tails before daylight (too dark to see trap with binos). So I know they can see and hunt while it is still very dark.

American Kestrels have been known to hunt insects under lights at night.

If this question is related to the other question about hawks preying upon your dog or cat on your balcony...

Owls do hunt at night, and Great-horned Owls are more likely to try to take a cat than Red-tails (though there are published accounts of Red-tails preying on cats (AC Bent)).

Bald Eagles have been know to take small dogs in Alaska where they are used to seeing people and dogs...

I have seen a partially eaten bob cat kitten in a golden eagle nest.

Both dog & cat are probably safe, esp if they are together.

Last edited:
talon_dfa said:
If this question is related to the other question about hawks preying upon your dog or cat on your balcony...

Consider that the danger of them falling from the balcony is many, many times greater. So either get a basic grasp of probability or MOVE HOUSE IMMEDIATELY BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!

Yes, but

Using your pet as bait to take photographs is considered extremely bad form.

FreewareCityCOM said:
are there any birds that hunt at night that might attack a cat that live in San Diego

Hey guys, now i was`nt seeing things, but recently just before christmas, it was dark about 5pm and i saw a female Sparrowhawk dart over my head toward the woods.
I saw her close because our garden intruder light was on and illuminated her. She was flying to roost, but it was very dark.

City Peregrines in the SW of England have taken to eating Woodcock and they are not catching those during the day. Very interesting to hear how adaptable these birds can become.

are there any Peregrines that live in San Diego
Yeah, but they are smaller than an average Red-tail and even less likely to attack your pets. Like I said in the question regarding the BOP carrying off your pets, you shouldn't be worried at all.

And yes, Great-horned owls are nocturnal and known to take small pets, but this is rare. I wouldn't worry for your dog and cats' safety whatsoever. If it worries you so much though, don't let them out on teh balcony without you!

Last edited:
shawk said:
Hey guys, now i was`nt seeing things, but recently just before christmas, it was dark about 5pm and i saw a female Sparrowhawk dart over my head toward the woods.
I saw her close because our garden intruder light was on and illuminated her. She was flying to roost, but it was very dark.
I have certainly seen sparrowhawks hunting in serious dusk conditions; ie,not dark but getting close- both in North Yorkshire woods and up here on the island where they 'do the birdtables' !!!

yes peregrines do hunt at night, there is a good article in Welsh Birds pub by the welsh orni soc. worth having a look, a lot of work went into that report.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back