• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (13 Viewers)

Tbh des, i have no idea what you on about :p lol
who's Mike Averill??
MB

Mike Averill is the Dragonfly County Recorder for Worcestershire. If you like I can send the record in on your behalf if you supply me with location, including grid reference, date and your name.

Des.

A Sanderling was present on one of the moors islands this afternoon doing a very good impression of a Little Stint. It never gave very close views and flew off at ~7:20pm.

3 Dunlins and a Ringed Plover (tundrae) were on the flashes this evening.

The fox was seen again inside the fence :C

Hey MB, that dragon is a beaut. Would like to see one myself.

Think the other insect is a Cockchafer (Maybug)

It really was a gorgeous looking thing, i wouldve not noticed it if a banded damoiselle didnt land on the same bush.

I dont think that the Other insect is a Maybug, it wasnt big enough, from what i could gather it looked more like a garden chafer??
But if someone else agrees with Cockchafer then im ok to have it as that ;)

Mike Averill is the Dragonfly County Recorder for Worcestershire. If you like I can send the record in on your behalf if you supply me with location, including grid reference, date and your name.

Des.

Ok, cheers for that Des, is it unusual then?? Excuse me for being totally dudeish on this issue :p
I will send you a PM with all the relevent info when i get some time :t:

MB

Whilst patiently waiting for that Heron at Earlswood I saw among the Common Tern a bird with no tail. It was just starting to show the tips of two new feathers but very like the one we had a couple of weeks ago on the Moors. Must be doing the rounds. The deluxe tern raft hasnt attracted any nesters yet but still time maybe.

Popped into the flashes for a quickie earlier this evening, the three Dunlin and three Ringed Plover are still in attendance, only counted three LRP chicks and 18 Avo juvs and one Lapwing chick, thankfully there was no sign of the Vulpes vulpes.

P.S. John it looks as if there are two LRP's sitting :t:

Popped into the flashes for a quickie earlier this evening, the three Dunlin and three Ringed Plover are still in attendance, only counted three LRP chicks and 18 Avo juvs and one Lapwing chick, thankfully there was no sign of the Vulpes vulpes.

P.S. John it looks as if there are two LRP's sitting :t:

cheers for that Gav I'll be down tomorrow morning will have a
look.
B :)John

Started the day at the Moors. The predicted Little Grebe breeding came to fruition today when 1 half grown chick was seen with 1 adult tucked away in the southern part of the Broadmeadow pool. There could well be more with the other adult that is not showing. This is the first time this species has ever bred on this pool and might be as a result of the thriving reed bed here. Another pair are in the SW marsh.
As yet there is no sign of any chicks from the 2 nesting pairs of GCG.
The 2 pairs of Oycstercatchers have only one chick each. Only a pair of lapwing are now present.
7 Common Terns are present with possibly 2 sitting. 100 or so swift and a handful of sand and house martin battled the gale-force wind.

At the Flashes.
The breeding birds are doing ok with 12 Avocet adults and 18 chicks, the adults have allowed some passage birds to settle. Today 4 Tundra ringed plovers and 3 Dunlin fed close to chicks but two whimbrel seen earlier by Phil were given short shrift. The LRP flock stands at 8 and the 4 chicks are now 6 days old. The Lapwings still continue to display with at least 1 sitting and the sole chick is now 26 days old.
Also seen were a pair of Shelduck, 3 common tern and several BHG broods. One regular event at this time of the year is the build up of the linnet flock that gather to feed in varying numbers on the salt plant seeds in front of the main hide and increasingly this year in the sewage field. It's always worth checking them out for associated species.
At the Hen pool several reed warblers were gathering food for their chicks while a 2 foot long grass snake slithered over the mud in front of the hide. A kingfisher flew over as I left the hide.

Last edited:
Just to expand on John's sightings above:

FLASHES
2 Whimbrel flew in at 9:25am and departed again after 10 minutes following constant harrassment from the Avocets, 3 Dunlin, 4 Ringed Plover, Little Ringed Plover - numbers increased to 10 by early evening + 4 young, Avocet - 12 adults + 18 young, 2 Shelduck, 2 Gadwall, 77 Mallard, 9 Tufted D, 11 Coot, 7 Moorhen, 1 Greylag Goose over, Lapwing - 6 adults + 1 young.

MOORS
10 GC Grebe, Little Grebe - 2 adults + 1 young, Oyk - 3 adults + 2 young, 7 Common Tern, 2 Gadwall, 1 Shelduck, 1 Grey Heron, 5 Cormorant, 32 Coot, 29 Tufted D, 19 Canada G, 2 Lapwing, 24 Mallard, 5 Moorhen, 1 Snipe on the Broadmeadow Pool.

Further to the report of 4 Gadwall chicks at the Moors Pool on the 16th, a "juvenile" was reported there on the 22nd.

Broke the day up by popping down to Grimley to see the Pec Sand; hopefully it may relocate to UW.

ALARMING NEWS: Andy and myself stayed sat the flashes until 10.10 where we witnessed the FOX walking across the flashes towards the main island. It had spent the previous two hours on the far bank but once the light had faded sufficiently it made its move. It walked onto the first island then started towards the island where the LRP chicks are, we banged on the side of the hide to alarm it, this worked as it ran back across the water to the far shore where it continued to linger until it was too dark for us to see.

Two curlews arrived at 9.15 to join the three Dunlin and four Ringed Plover.

Thanks Gav - forgot to mention that myself and John saw footprints out on the mud when we caged the latest LRP today. Did you see where it emerged from?

No Phil, I saw it walking along the fence in the field, I think it came in from somewhere behind the reeds, as it appeared from the left hand side not too far from the sewage works.

At the Flashes today (2.25pm) seen a Red Kite hunting over fields east of the far Flash Pool.(Prob.the bird seen earlier at Westwood.) Nice bird for the reserve though!

At the Flashes today (2.25pm) seen a Red Kite hunting over fields east of the far Flash Pool.(Prob.the bird seen earlier at Westwood.) Nice bird for the reserve though!

Nice one Glen:t: Hopefully the first of many reports from you welcome to the forum and thanks for the message.

Today's highlights and low lights if you count a Fox carrying a duck out of the vegetation between the 2nd and 3rd Flashes early this morning. The Fox made its way through the Phragmites and under the fence somewhere near the large Oak tree.

THE FLASHES:
Avocet (10 ad + 18 young)
LRP (9 +2 chicks) reduced by two since yesterday evening.
Lapwing (6+1 youngster)
Cuckoo
Tufted Duck (9)
White Wagtail (m)
Red Kite reported 2.25 pm

ED RES:
Garden Warbler

MOORS:
Oystercatcher (3 ad _ 2 young)
Gadwall (pr)
Common Tern (7)
Sand Martin c 20
Swift c30

Des.

Today's highlights and low lights if you count a Fox carrying a duck out of the vegetation between the 2nd and 3rd Flashes early this morning. The Fox made its way through the Phragmites and under the fence somewhere near the large Oak tree.

Des.

Hi Des
on Saturday the fox went to the left of the oaktree and I managed to see it climb over the fence although people at the other end of the hide didn't see it climb and they thought it had gone under(because it was lost to view behind blackthorn). Did you see it go underneath? If so more work to be done.:-C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back