• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

Originally Posted by Phil Andrews
PS Whats the story behind the drake Teal wing in the East Hide?

Been on nights so missed your post. I found the Teal wing on the road by Lifestyles last week, looked like a Peregrine kill. Thought it might be interesting to see the feathers in close up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews
PS Whats the story behind the drake Teal wing in the East Hide?

Been on nights so missed your post. I found the Teal wing on the road by Lifestyles last week, looked like a Peregrine kill. Thought it might be interesting to see the feathers in close up.

So 2 for Teal and 1 for Mallard

From 12.30pm - 5.30pm.
Flashes
The south easterly breeze made for uncomfortable birding from the hides, with the rain driving in.
Most people who have visited the Flashes recently, have commented, "how quiet and disappointing it is". This has always been the case during winter and is the reason why we started the feeding station back in the mid 80's - to try and keep birders interest in the area, during his period.
A lot of passerine activity along the track from behind the hen pool to the feeding station. Treecreeper, blue tit 25, great tit 10, long tailed tit 5, greenfinch 10, Bullfinch 6, chaffinch 5, goldfinch 6, dunnock 5, robin 3, blackbird 3, song thrush, wren, reed bunting 5,
Also feeding around the Feeding station: coot 2 moorhen 8, mallard 8.
Onto the main hide, where there was only a handful of teal on show, but after a while more started to appear.

The sewage meadow however, was alive with bird activity. The cattle have now created an ideal looking wet grazing marsh, of short grass interspersed by clumps of juncus and tussock grass. This has provided a range of feeding opportunities for wildfowl and waders. Coot were grazing, teal and mallard with dabbling in the wetter areas, snipe, Oystercatcher and curlew were probing while the lapwing were picking at surface food.
This evening the BHG's were joined by several large gulls and a common at the roost. Also, more ducks and geese arrived at dusk, as well as a few Green sands, swelling the the ranks of those already assembled. Considering the weather, today was the best the Flashes have been for a good few weeks. But again only during the evening from 4pm onwards

Species count Flashes:Mute swan pr, Teal 58, shoveler 2, mallard 100+, shelduck pr, Coot 16, moorhen 12, canadas 40, greylag 25 over, snipe 6, lapwing 40, curlew 11, Oystercatcher, Green sand 4 roosted, BHG 520, herring gull 4 (all flew out at dark), LBBG 8, common gull (adult), jackdaw 300, stock dove 2, redwing 30, meadow pipit 5,

Sailing Pool: GCG 6, Tufted 8, pochard 2, coot 10,

FLASHES water levels. Today the level was 0.43. This is the end of June / early July level. Although evaporation at that time would dry out much of the 'saucer' and 'central area'. I have left the sluice open for the last couple of weeks during the recent wet weather. Due to flooding I was unable to close up the pipe, however today I managed to 'cap' it. We will let it fill back up to 0.5ish for the beginning of spring. Until we get settled conditions, it will be difficult to get the levels right, so rest assured that we have our eye on the situation.

ps anyone visiting the Flashes will need wellies, especially for next Sunday's WORK PARTY. (DETAILS LATER).
Hi John, It was good to chat with you this afternoon. I stayed til 5pm on Moors but no sign of the Bittern.
Geoff

Sunday 26th January 1000-1330

Only met three other birders on site in between the sunshine and heavy, prolonged showers

SAILING POOL
2 Mute Swan, 6 Canada Geese, 7 GC Grebe, 3 Little Grebe, 10 Mallard, 7 Tufted Duck, 8 Coot, 2 Moorhen.

FLASHES - water level 0.52
3 Mute Swan, 18 then 19 Canada Geese over, 2 Shelduck, 11 Mallard, 32 Teal, 15 Coot, 9 Moorhen, 11 Curlew, 80 Lapwing, 60 BH Gull, 2 Lesser Redpoll, c500 winter thrushes in the old orchard. No sign of the Oystercatcher.

MOORS POOL - water level 0.84
No geese other than a hybrid, 41 Mallard, 35 Shoveler, 47 Teal, 29 Tufted Duck, 30 Pochard, 19 Coot, 16 Moorhen, Water Rail running along the causeway with a juicy worm, 110 Lapwing, c60 Snipe, 1 Jack Snipe (flushed by a fox running around the Broadmeadow), 27 Cormorant, 100 BH Gull, 1 LBB Gull, 8 Herring Gull.

I struggled with two female Scaup-a-likes (one on the Sailing Pool, the other on the Moors Pool) but couldnt convince myself in the end they were anything other than Tufties.

Great work by the Tuesday work party in managing the plantation on the east side - the opened up space and new dead hedge should attract a variety of warblers in the spring (hopefully including breeding Willow Warbler).

Last edited:
Great work by the Tuesday work party in managing the plantation on the east side - the opened up space and new dead hedge should attract a variety of warblers in the spring (hopefully including breeding Willow Warbler).

Cheers Phil, for that, I am sure all the crew will appreciate it.:t:

Vern removed the pipe on the Moors, I am sure it was too wet for you to do so or it slipped your mind8-P

Cheers Phil, for that, I am sure all the crew will appreciate it.:t:

Vern removed the pipe on the Moors, I am sure it was too wet for you to do so or it slipped your mind8-P

Only had my walking boots on so didnt fancy it; I nearly came a cropper dragging a tree trunk out of the Hen Brook (the dying willow seems to have sunk even further into the brook).

Good to see the residents of the Moors development are considerate enough to bag their dog sh!t (though not considerate enough to then remove the offending bag from the causeway ....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back