• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix G1 at last - what a gem for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Niel
I enjoyed your note about the Lumix G1, and got mine a few days ago.

However, you mention the kit lens being internally focussing. The length of the lens changes as you focus, so it is not internally focussing.

I have been trying to use it with a Kowa 881, and so far have not found it easy. I was hoping to be able to replace my d300 and 500mm vr.

Best wishes

Engbert

Engbert,
The kit zoom 14 -45 mm internally focuses but externally zooms. You can use the Swarovski DCA-type adapter screwed into the front of the lens. This is the only lens that I've seen that does. I would be interested to hear about others that behave this way.
Neil

Neil
I agree with you - I realised after I posted that it is internally focussing. one of my problems using the angled scope is that the weight of the camera causes zoom creep - it pushes the barrel in so that it is no longer zoomed to 45mm. I will have to make up some kind of plastic gizmo to click on to the barrel to stop this. I am also going to try using a TSN-PZ nstead of the eyepiece and camera lens.

Some the best examples from this are from Joseph Kennedy
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/116054264
His site show hundreds like this.
Best wishes, Engbert

The TSN-PZ is a cool adapter. BUT just remember that you will have to rely on manual focus. This is no easy task, especially if you are not close enough for the bird to fill the frame or it moving ziz-zag. Many times I'd shoot several hundred pics only find on close inspection I was ever so slightly out of focus. Keeper level was only 1:10 on average!

I then briefly tried using the TSN-VA3 photo adapter (essentialy a 14x eyepiece with 60mm eyerelief!) with a AF 50mm lens. This worked much better with keeper level up to 8:10. Only "problem" is total focal length was only 700mm, same as I could get with a 500mm VR lens and 1.4x TC. Why lug the digiscoping kit around when I could just hand hold a camera + lens.

As for using a dslr on an angled scope, you really need to rotate the prism housing to horizontal. It is a little strange at first, but you will find this easier to work with. You should get a "Y" bar to support the camera though, and not put all the pressure on the lens and its mount.

BTW, I see you are from Central TX. I am a San Antonio native myself. Living in Japan for the last 20yrs though. If you need a good deal on the PZ or VA3, let me know.

cheers,
Rick

Neil
I agree with you - I realised after I posted that it is internally focussing. one of my problems using the angled scope is that the weight of the camera causes zoom creep - it pushes the barrel in so that it is no longer zoomed to 45mm. I will have to make up some kind of plastic gizmo to click on to the barrel to stop this. I am also going to try using a TSN-PZ nstead of the eyepiece and camera lens.

Some the best examples from this are from Joseph Kennedy
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/116054264
His site show hundreds like this.
Best wishes, Engbert

Engbert,
You could roll up a piece of cardboard as a temporary fix. I normally use the G1 lens in the same position all the time so one piece of cardboard should be ok, otherwise make up two or three.
Neil.

Panasonic has released the next variant after the G1 and GH1: the GF1
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/PanasonicGF1/
Since is has no rotatable display the normal variants are more suitable for digiscoping.

New are also two lenses: a 20mm F1.7 pancake and a 45 F2.8 Macro:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090203panasonic20mm.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090202panasonic45mmmacro.asp
Can a Macro be used with a Swaro 25-50 zoom or macro are not usable with eyepieces?
As far as I know the 20mm would be a 35 eq of 40mm on a G1, so it's a bit short for digiscoping?

Panasonic has released the next variant after the G1 and GH1: the GF1
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/PanasonicGF1/
Since is has no rotatable display the normal variants are more suitable for digiscoping.

New are also two lenses: a 20mm F1.7 pancake and a 45 F2.8 Macro:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090203panasonic20mm.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090202panasonic45mmmacro.asp
Can a Macro be used with a Swaro 25-50 zoom or macro are not usable with eyepieces?
As far as I know the 20mm would be a 35 eq of 40mm on a G1, so it's a bit short for digiscoping?

This is very good news . The macro lenses are normally recessed which makes them a more difficult digiscoping choice. A fixed eyepiece might fit into the lens a little which might be ok but I haven't tried this.
The 20 mm should be ok and would well with a zoom but it is a bit short on it's own.
I would be interested in both lenses.
Neil

Jury's still out

I've been giving the G1 another try just lately and I have to say that my results have improved a little.
I took about 270 shots at the weekend, it seems to me as though it has great potential and I,m happy with these shots.
the only thing that worries me is the number of duff shots relative to the keepers.
These shots were taken in almost ideal conditions with the birds only about 10m away yet 90% of my shots were deleted.
As I had the camera on trial it didn't matter but I would have been disappointed if something special had come along and I'd have missed it.
Incidentally when the battery ran out I switched over to my trusty 8400 and the ratio of keepers to rejects went up significantly.
As far as I'm aware the settings are all as they should be but when the subject appeared in focus the result proved otherwise.

If anyone has any comment It would be appreciated.

For anyone interested there are more shots on my blog.

Attachments

• Dunlin2.jpg
    Dunlin2.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 347
  • RP1.jpg
    RP1.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 269
  • RP5.jpg
    RP5.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 249
I've been giving the G1 another try just lately and I have to say that my results have improved a little.
I took about 270 shots at the weekend, it seems to me as though it has great potential and I,m happy with these shots.
the only thing that worries me is the number of duff shots relative to the keepers.
These shots were taken in almost ideal conditions with the birds only about 10m away yet 90% of my shots were deleted.
As I had the camera on trial it didn't matter but I would have been disappointed if something special had come along and I'd have missed it.
Incidentally when the battery ran out I switched over to my trusty 8400 and the ratio of keepers to rejects went up significantly.
As far as I'm aware the settings are all as they should be but when the subject appeared in focus the result proved otherwise.

If anyone has any comment It would be appreciated.

For anyone interested there are more shots on my blog.

Martin,
These are nice but I'm surprised that your number of keepers is so low. My experience has been that I can get 50 % keepers with the 8400 and 80% with the G1. The main reason is that the G1 screen is much better than the 8400 so easier to see when scope is in focus. I you are using Manual Focus then the number of keepers will be much lower and 10% wouldn't surprise me.
Could you post one of the unsatisfactory ones and let us know what lens you are using.
Neil

Martin,
The main reason is that the G1 screen is much better than the 8400 so easier to see when scope is in focus.

My thoughts exactly.The images appear pin sharp on the screen but disappointingly out of focus when brought up on the pc.
I've attached what was probably the most disappointing shot -the dunlin swam across a small pool about 7m away.I would be 100% confident in my 8400 nailing this.
Data for the shot below.
F.stop 5.6
Exposure 1/800
ISO 400
Exp -1.3
Focal lenngth 14mm
Metering-centre weighted average
Aperture priority
contrast- hard
Aperture priority
White balance - auto.
The lens was the kit lens for the G1 through a 32x kowa lens.

Any help much appreciated.

Attachments

• 234.jpg
    234.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 374
At 7m and at an effective focal length of 900mm, your DoF was way too small...<1cm. You could have shot this at F12 or smaller for perhaps better results but even then the DoF only expands to ~1.5cm at 7m distance. -1.3 seems like alot of exposure compensation too with ISO400 and 1/800sec, so you certainly had room to "play" here.

Manual control of both shutter speed AND aperture with AutoISO tends to work better for moving targets I think. But trying to digiscope a target that gets under 15m is really hard. I keep a second camera handy (Canon SX1) just for these opportunities. You can also use the Kowa TSN-PZ photo adapter instead of an eyepiece and lens but then you will have to 100% manual focus.
cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
Martin,
The main reason is that the G1 screen is much better than the 8400 so easier to see when scope is in focus.

My thoughts exactly.The images appear pin sharp on the screen but disappointingly out of focus when brought up on the pc.
I've attached what was probably the most disappointing shot -the dunlin swam across a small pool about 7m away.I would be 100% confident in my 8400 nailing this.
Data for the shot below.
F.stop 5.6
Exposure 1/800
ISO 400
Exp -1.3
Focal lenngth 14mm
Metering-centre weighted average
Aperture priority
contrast- hard
Aperture priority
White balance - auto.
The lens was the kit lens for the G1 through a 32x kowa lens.

Any help much appreciated.

Martin,
I can understand at 7 metres you would be expecting the best shot possible. I had a close look at it and came up with this adjustment. I can see what you mean.
I think what you've got here is the difference between the ED glass in the 8400 ,which does an excellent job in dull lighting conditions, the non ED glass in the G1 zoom, which needs better light to be it's best.
This is the main reason that I'm still looking for a better quality lens for the G1. I'm thinking now of the Panasonic Leica 45/2.8 Macro for this reason.
Just a couple of observations. I was surprised to see your -1.3 adjustment as in that grey light I would have thought none would be necessary. Is this photo a jpeg straight out of the camera . Also at 14 mm ( wide open ) I would have expected your Aperture to be wider which would have given you much faster shutter speeds to help freeze the action. I think the head movement at 1/400th may have been an issue.
Your lucky to have a dunlin at 7 metres. We had one here last week at 100 metres.
Neil.

Attachments

• 234adj.jpg
    234adj.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 256
Neil, I think it clearly is DoF issue. Just look at the water. Only a narrow strip is close to focus while both fore- and backgrounds are blurred. The bird's eye/beak and tail feathers are relatively sharp while the fatter body/wing is softer. Not even sure a digicam would get it right this close at a 900mm focal length, but they do have fewer DoF "issues" than a DSLR.

Cheers,
Rick

Thanks for your advice guys.
On the day I took the shot it was one of those days when one minute it is bright sun then the next a cloud has passed over- just goes to show the importance of adapting to suit the conditions.
Interesting points also about depth of field-something I will look at more closely.
As a rule of thumb I would probably be better off using my 8400 in dull light conditions.
Thanks again I will keep trying.

Neil, I think it clearly is DoF issue. Just look at the water. Only a narrow strip is close to focus while both fore- and backgrounds are blurred. The bird's eye/beak and tail feathers are relatively sharp while the fatter body/wing is softer. Not even sure a digicam would get it right this close at a 900mm focal length, but they do have fewer DoF "issues" than a DSLR.

Cheers,
Rick

Good point Rick. If you look carefully at my Marsh Sandpiper photo you will see that the back is sharp but the head is a bit soft which is a DOF issue.
Neil

Attachments

• marsh sandpiper nw DSCN1038.jpg
    marsh sandpiper nw DSCN1038.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 306
The first trial of my G1.
STS80HD + Long balance plate + DCA + G1.

To me, the result is quite OK. o:)
I expect further reduction on the vibration of the camera body will give better result.

BTW, the reach is just too short for the kit lens in consider with the vignetting.
I will keep my 8400 for long reach. :king:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 463
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 455
G1 and Zeiss Diascope

I have just bought a G1 with the kit lens and I am very pleased with it. Although I did not buy it specifically for digiscoping, I would like to try it with my diascope 82 with either the 20x60 zoom or the 30x fixed eyepiece.

Has anybody out there tried this combination?

The first trial of my G1.
STS80HD + Long balance plate + DCA + G1.

To me, the result is quite OK. o:)
I expect further reduction on the vibration of the camera body will give better result.

BTW, the reach is just too short for the kit lens in consider with the vignetting.
I will keep my 8400 for long reach. :king:

These are great images. Well done.

I have just bought a G1 with the kit lens and I am very pleased with it. Although I did not buy it specifically for digiscoping, I would like to try it with my diascope 82 with either the 20x60 zoom or the 30x fixed eyepiece.

Has anybody out there tried this combination?

Should work ok with the 30x eyepiece but the Eye Relief of the zoom is too short.
Neil.

Tested my new Olympus 50/2.0 Macro lens on the G1 today. It wouldn't AF on the G1 but would on the Olympus E-420. I upgraded the firmware of the G1 but still no AF. As it turns out the lens extension when in AF Mode ( on the E-420 ) is long ( about 1.5 inches ) so too much for the UCA, even when turned around.
I used the Liveview screen and the ELV to focus with reasonable results as long as the subject stayed reasonably still as the magnification was out at 2500 mm.
I had to run the Telescope Rail to full extension too for balance.
Here are some images from today.
Neil

Panasonic G1 and Olympus 50/2 Macro lens and Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw25-50x zoom eyepiece and UCA adapter and Telescope Rail.

Hong Kong,
China.
Sept 2009

Attachments

• bc night heron G1 sw25x olym50.2 iso320 c_1590076.jpg
    bc night heron G1 sw25x olym50.2 iso320 c_1590076.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 221
  • bc night heron G1 olym50.2 iso800 c _1590360.jpg
    bc night heron G1 olym50.2 iso800 c _1590360.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 251
  • flamingo groom G1 sw25x olym50.2 iso640_1590153.jpg
    flamingo groom G1 sw25x olym50.2 iso640_1590153.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 175
  • flamingo groom G1 sw25x olym50.2 iso640_1590184.jpg
    flamingo groom G1 sw25x olym50.2 iso640_1590184.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 163
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back