• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Celestron porros (1 Viewer)

Kevin
I seem to remember you and I being of the same mind on these calcs in the past. And I agree, sometimes people at the binocular companies misunderstand the relationship between metric and imperial FoVs.

But as for..
When you do that conversion for 8.2° field you get 131.06 meters at 1000 yards (which is correct but not actually very useful as it mixes units) the better figure is the correct 144.102202 meters at 1000 meters as a metric person would expect.
Shame on you!
You quote an angular FoV to 2 significant figures, then use it in an argument about 5 significant figures. Then, to cap that, you quote something else to 9 significant figures! I don't know, give you an inch and you'd take 1,609 meters...

They're on sale

Optics Planet has them for $62.95 with free shipping:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestron-nature-8x30-porro-binocular.html

celestron.com has them for the same price, but I didn't go far enough into the checkout process to find out how much shipping would be.

At $63 these are really tempting.

Edit: Never mind. I just noticed another thread which points out that Adorama has them even cheaper at $50 with $6 shipping.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back