• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spider ID (1 Viewer)

MikeDale

This is a Spider that I had in my yard in Lebanon County Pennsylvania last Summer. Anyone care to suggest what it is?

Attachments

• Spider.JPG
    Spider.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 106
Mike,
That is a Golden-silk Spider or "Calico Spider" (Nephila clavipes)
This a female which is about 1" in length. The male is similiar in shape but much smaller about 1/8 the size of the female and much drabber in color. Feeds on flying insects caught in large web which can be as large as 3 feet across. Found mostly in Southeastern U.S. Prefers shaded woodlands and swamps.
I don't think it is common in Pennsylvania.
Ted

Last edited:
Absolutely correct. Across the leg she was over 5 inches and they don't normally get to PA at all. When I first found her she was only about 3 inches across I suppose. She had a web across a narrow neck in a path through the trees at the bottom of my yard. I couldn't find her in any of the books I had and because I hadn't got a clue of the name I couldn't find her on the interenet. I went to the library and found the name there. From then on it was easy on the internet. I asked a local wildlife guru and he said it couldn't possibly be a Golden Silk Spider, no way it was an Argiope. When I sent him a picture he changed his mind pretty quick. Various people came to see it and photograph it, one chap even wanted to do a spot on the local TV about it. She was growing bigger all the time and as I was concerned about the remants of a hurricane heading our way I asked the biologist from the Natural History museum if she would like to take it out of harms way. She jumped at the chance and put the spider on display at the museum. We even went to see her in her new home, and although she didn't recognise us she seemed quite happy. ;)

Mike,
Sometimes insects and spiders get accidently transported by cars and campers as well as storms . That spider and its offspring would probably not survive the colder climate in Pa for very long. Its good you sent it to the museum. Where is the museum located?
Ted

twcoffey said:
Mike,
Sometimes insects and spiders get accidently transported by cars and campers as well as storms . That spider and its offspring would probably not survive the colder climate in Pa for very long. Its good you sent it to the museum. Where is the museum located?
Ted

It's the North Museum in Lancaster, my neighbour had been down to Florida in the spring last year so we surmised that they bought it back accidently. It was a good 80 yards or so from there house though.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back