• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spider for ID (1 Viewer)

John P

Usually on a different wavelength
Found in my garden today, behind a nest box.

Got some more pics if needed, (one of these is the underside of the spider).

Attachments

• spider2.jpg
    spider2.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 170
  • spider4.jpg
    spider4.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 193
mothman said:
I think it could be Araneus quadratus, which is a very variable species in appearance.

Colin.

Thanks Colin, I'm not sure though, I've had a look round the net and all the info seems to say that Araneus quadratus should have four white spots and banded legs. I'll keep looking when I have the time.

Hi John and Colin,

It has been suggested to me that this is a
Steatoda sp.. Araneus species are more study and hairy.

Cheers,

Andy (and friend ;) ).

John P said:
Found in my garden today, behind a nest box.

Got some more pics if needed, (one of these is the underside of the spider).
I agree with mothman. It looks like a Four-spot Orb-weaver. :hippy:

Definately a Steatoda. 99% It's Steatoda nobilis. You're in the right part of the UK for it. If the abdomen is much bigger than 5mm then 100% sure. Careful with these, they can give a really unpleasent bite, not dangerous (unless you happen to be hypersensitive) but you'll feel it. The Steatoida are a sister clade to the Lactrodectus (widow spiders) and carry very similar venom. A good envenomation by a big S. nobilis can present very similar symptoms to a widow bite, only far less extensive. It is most likely that this species came across from mediterranean europe on ships but *may* have existed here naturally. Either way, it is only in the last 10-20 yrs that they have started to spread away from ports. Cracking find, easily one of our most interesting little critters, and don't worry about the birds, it's just lunch to them!

Lee.

Last edited:
LAF said:
Definately a Steatoda. 99% It's Steatoda nobilis. You're in the right part of the UK for it. If the abdomen is much bigger than 5mm then 100% sure. Careful with these, they can give a really unpleasent bite, not dangerous (unless you happen to be hypersensitive) but you'll feel it. The Steatoida are a sister clade to the Lactrodectus (widow spiders) and carry very similar venom. A good envenomation by a big S. nobilis can present very similar symptoms to a widow bite, only far less extensive. It is most likely that this species came across from mediterranean europe on ships but *may* have existed here naturally. Either way, it is only in the last 10-20 yrs that they have started to spread away from ports. Cracking find, easily one of our most interesting little critters, and don't worry about the birds, it's just lunch to them!

Lee.
I will have to concede on this one as S.nobilis is not a species that I'm familiar with,I must admit that the glossyness of the specimen sat awkwardly with an Araneidae id .

Colin.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back