• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x or 8x (1 Viewer)

Backyard Sanctuary

Hello,

I want to upgrade to mid level binoculars and have been looking at 10x42 and 8x42. Seems these days the internet is the only real source for bins. Given that, I don't have a way of testing for myself the two powers I am considering. What I like to know is should I get an 8x or 10x? Are shakes more noticeable with a 10x versus and 8x?

"Are shakes more noticeable with a 10x versus and 8x?"

Yes, this is true for the vast majority of people, so much so that most experienced users recommend 8x, especially if the buyer can buy only one binocular.

Last edited:
The general opinion amongst most birders is that 8x is the best though personally i've always used 10x and have never had any reason to change.

handshaking is about the same between 8x and 10x. The biggest difference to my eyes is the field of view. When comparing my 7x36ED2 to 10x43 ED2, the difference is even larger.

Thanks for the information. I will go with an 8x. |=)|Hopefully before long I can talk my wife into allowing me to buy a spotting scope. Until them I will enjoy the binoculars. Again, thanks for the help.

Thanks for the information. I will go with an 8x. |=)|Hopefully before long I can talk my wife into allowing me to buy a spotting scope. Until them I will enjoy the binoculars. Again, thanks for the help.

I would consider 8x over 10x too! 8x or 8.5x are perfect size for birding, unless you want to buy both 8x and 10x.

I have an 8x and 10x. I see my 10x as more a specialty hawk watching bin or long distance/grass lands bin. My 8x are my all around bin. If I could only have one - 8x. If I ever get an alpha it will be 8x for sure.

After some searching around I found a local birding speciality shop. They can order the binoculars I want (Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42).

Thanks again everyone for your help. :t:

Hi Backyard,

At the risk of complicating your decision, I'd urge you to take a look at the Canon 10x30 Image Stabilized binoculars before making your choice.
Imo, image stabilization greatly enhances the utility and reach of binoculars. You get the power of 10x without the shakes. While more expensive than the Monarch 8x42, they justify their extra cost ( about $120) by their performance.

Hi Backyard,

At the risk of complicating your decision, I'd urge you to take a look at the Canon 10x30 Image Stabilized binoculars before making your choice.
Imo, image stabilization greatly enhances the utility and reach of binoculars. You get the power of 10x without the shakes. While more expensive than the Monarch 8x42, they justify their extra cost ( about $120) by their performance.

As tempting as that is, the wife if getting on me for buying too many toys. lol Perhaps my next go around I'll check into the stablized binoculars.

Just to add my two cents, good on ya for going with the 8's. I used 10x for a long time, thought they were great then got hold of some old Zeiss 7x42's. The field of view is much wider, the depth of field is much deeper, the image is much brighter and more sharp and WAY less hand shake. You made a good choice.

My eyeballs prefer 10X.

Right now I am seeing lots of high flying raptors migrating north at long distance and I appreciate the the 20% magnification increase over the 8x

I have no problem with hand shake.

For up close song birds in the bushes - again I appreciate the 20% increased magnification for a great close up view of excellent details.

I assume the primary complaint with 10x might be "getting on the bird"/finding the bird. I resolved that with practice. I noticed after a week of birding I can get on the bird with the first look and no searching every time.

If I have not picked up the bins in a while - I have to get used to finding the bird again. Can be frustrating for some. I am willing to work to keep my skills sharp for the pleasure of increased magnification.

Find a magnification you enjoy and have fun!

Good Birding
T

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back