• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are visible lines in lenses normal/acceptable? (1 Viewer)

baj

I just bought a pair of mid-priced binoculars ($500-ish) online and was surprised to see several lines in the objective lenses that look kind of like very fine scratches or marks in the coatings. I saw them the first time I looked at the objectives under normal room lighting (not some kind of super-critical examination) but from some angles they are not readily visible.

The seal on the box had been broken already so presumably somebody had returned this pair, so my first thought was that the first purchaser had tried to clean them or something and had scratched them. But upon closer inspection with a flashlight I am certain that the marks are not on the outer surface of the lenses. Each lens has a mark about .5 - .75 inches long, and one of the lenses has two much smaller marks as well.

Shining the flashlight into the binoculars I can see what looks like piece of dust or a similar mark on one of the prism surfaces but that's about it. I know dust is bad but I don't know if a complete lack of dust is realistic (this is my first pair of waterproof/sealed binoculars), but this is only one piece and I'm a lot less concerned about this than the objectives.

Is this kind of thing normal and to be expected, or should I return these binoculars? Thanks very much for any advice.

Personally, I think that $500 is still a considerable sum and the instrument should be visibly perfect on first inspection (assuming they are new). I believe you have the right to return any on-line purchase within 3-days from date of receipt, and that's what I would recommend in this case. Let the dealer refund or replace them with a new pair.

Ed

Fortunately not, at least as far as I know.
In most cases, the eye has great capacity to filter out aberrations, not to mention that binoculars are generally not very demanding designs.
Experts on this forum will tell you that there can be substantial (as much as 10%) differences between the left and right barrels of even a first class pair of binoculars, so the impact of scratches is usually imperceptible.

(baj) ...Is this kind of thing normal and to be expected, or should I return these binoculars? Thanks very much for any advice.

I was responding to baj's question about the visible condition of the binoculars, not opining about whether or not it would degrade the images.

Of course, this does open up a broader question; namely, whether seeing a few specs of dust has a detrimental effect on one's level of satisfaction, possibly compromising the whole damned birding experience.

This will obviously take much more thought than I thought.

Ed :smoke:

Whether they´d degrade the image or not, I´d return them. I´d wonder if the scratches might cause the coatings to wear off quicker. It´s possible to buy top-class binos (without scratches!) for 500 dollars, so don´t accept a damaged pair.

Whether they´d degrade the image or not, I´d return them. I´d wonder if the scratches might cause the coatings to wear off quicker. It´s possible to buy top-class binos (without scratches!) for 500 dollars, so don´t accept a damaged pair.

+1 to Sancho ^_^

hi Etudiant....but how about if the scratches located on eyepiece? should we worry more ?

best regards

Galih

Yes, eye pieces are the binoculars most demanding elements.
If it were me, I'd take Sanchos advice and return them.
I don't feel one should not have to pay $500 for imperfect goods.
Of course that's easy to say when surrounded by eager sellers, as in NYC. But if you are thinking of returning them, sooner is better than later, else you may get accustomed to them.

Thanks everybody. I sent them back today. I realize that the effects of a couple of small scratches are probably not significant, but at the same time it's just not right. The place I bought them from said they would exchange for a new, sealed-box, never-returned pair so hopefully I will have better luck next time.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back