• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I feel cheated by Adorama (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdazzLED

I bought the Pro-optic 8x42 and had to send it back because it was out of collimation and had a broken eye cup. My first impression was negative because of that - and it made me suspicious when it turned out that the serial number was number 1.

Not only did I have to pay for shipping to me (around $15) but I had to pay for shipping to return it.

They should have checked the bins before they shipped it because there was no shipping damage when it was shipped to me.

I tried to leave a comment about this on their site but it appears it was refused.

When you drive to a local store to buy something and later return it, is it normal to expect them to reimburse you for gas/time too?

And if a dealer opened the box to check the item prior to shipping and could not repackage them "as new" would you not think they sold you a used item? FYI, many countries/states/localities have laws that prohibit sale of open packages as "new" goods.

It seems unfair to hold a online or mailorder store to a different standard than your local retailers. And just because some retailers choose to offer VERY LIBERAL return policies does not mean those that do not deserve to criticized.

Not to say that sending you a broken binocular is OK, but unless they state differently in their sales/return policies, shipping cost reimbursement should assumed to be discretionary.

In Japan, dealers are only required to replace/exchange/refund defective new goods within 10 business days of purchase. After that, you deal with the manufacture for service/repair under its warranty.

Last edited:
You are quite right to feel cheated & you are quite right to post about it here, where the bad publicity might cost Adorama some sales. As a result of your post, I for one will think twice about buying anything from them.

There was no "sealed" box inside the shipping box. For all I know, serial "number one" could have been a demo that someone dropped on the sales floor or someone else returned it after they broke it.

I didn't return it because I didn't like it. I returned it because it was BROKEN.

In contrast, Charles of Zen Ray gave me a digiscoping bracket for my "troubles" of having to drive out to Beaverton twice. He also hand picked a few bins that I might prefer, regarding my complaint, for exchange. What a joy it is to do business with a company with this attitude. Spending a little time at Zen Ray was educational as well!

Last edited:
Surely the consumer should be protected from financial loss arising from the sale of a clearly defective good? Send Adorama a bill, Birdazzled. See how they respond.

Message from Helen Oster at Adorama Camera

I bought the Pro-optic 8x42 and had to send it back because it was out of collimation and had a broken eye cup. My first impression was negative because of that - and it made me suspicious when it turned out that the serial number was number 1.

Not only did I have to pay for shipping to me (around $15) but I had to pay for shipping to return it.

They should have checked the bins before they shipped it because there was no shipping damage when it was shipped to me.

I tried to leave a comment about this on their site but it appears it was refused.

There is no question but that you should not have to pay return shipping for a damaged item.
If a customer contacts us prior to returning a damaged item, we always send out pre-paid labels to our US customers when this happens, and reimburse upon production of a receipt for overseas customers.

Please email me, attaching a copy of the invoice for the return shipping costs, and you will be reimbursed immediately; (I believe you have my email address already - if you have mislaid it, please find it below)

The website certainly accepts customer customer comments and feedback, however, it doesn't update in real time, to allow for customers who change their minds - typically within the first 45 minutes of placing an order.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

http://helenoster.blogspot.com
[email protected]
www.adorama.com

Last edited:
I am in the middle of an exchange process (returned item due to defect) with Adorama and as HelenOster stated I called them and they immediately volunteered to send me a pre-paid return shipping label and did not deduct the original shipping cost from my refund. Getting defective stuff is a pain but I think that I am being treated very fairly.

There was no "sealed" box inside the shipping box. For all I know, serial "number one" could have been a demo that someone dropped on the sales floor or someone else returned it after they broke it.

There are many consumer complaints against Adorama: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cameras/adorama.html

You need to be aware that the poster on consumer affairs who you have quoted is a troll.

For the first time in my life I am being stalked - by said troll - who ordered an item from us which he alleges had clearly been used.
We apologized profusely, and sent no less than 4 pre-paid UPS labels to him to enable the return of the item.
However, he wanted to keep it; initially demanding a discount of 25% to do so, a figure which he later reduced to 20%. When we refused, he threatened to use the Internet to take Adorama down - and me out of a job :eek!:

We advised him that it isn't Adorama policy to send out used goods as new, and the only explanation could be that it came as part of our inventory from the manufacturer; (it's rare, but it does happen, that less scrupulous retailers return used over-stock to manufacturers, and the honest retailer then has used items in his inventory).

This item needs to be returned to the manufacturer – we absolutely cannot sell it at a reduced cost (we have a bona fide used department which sells used items). However, my stalker has decided to multi-post on numerous forums.

The flaws in his postings are firstly that he appears to quote emails from both me and our sales manager, but he has materially altered the content of those emails.
Secondly, he quotes postings from dissatisfied customers for a number of years ago, prior to the current management team, so it really bears no relation to current policy and practice.
Finally, an Internet search for the individual reveals a chain of retailers and service providers whose reputations he has similarly tried to smear using the Internet.

I have dealt with them, my scope came from there. It is not quite the Eagle Optics quality of service, but they often have wide range of products.

Shop for prices and go for it if it looks good. They will not refuse a return, so they are OK. There are many crooks out there, these people are OK.

From Adorama I bought Canon 300mm F4 IS, teleconverter Canon MKII 1.4x, filter, batteries, memory cards,... all shipped without any problems across the ocean!

For me it was the first time I paid a lot of money for items that far away, but they gave me confidence as they asked for ID check of the credit card and packed the goods very well. Even with shipping+customs it was cheaper than buying over here, and my lens is tack sharp.

There is no question but that you should not have to pay return shipping for a damaged item.
If a customer contacts us prior to returning a damaged item, we always send out pre-paid labels to our US customers when this happens, and reimburse upon production of a receipt for overseas customers.

Please email me, attaching a copy of the invoice for the return shipping costs, and you will be reimbursed immediately; (I believe you have my email address already - if you have mislaid it, please find it below)

The website certainly accepts customer customer comments and feedback, however, it doesn't update in real time, to allow for customers who change their minds - typically within the first 45 minutes of placing an order.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

http://helenoster.blogspot.com
[email protected]
www.adorama.com

I followed instructions in the downloaded PDF. I don't recall any instructions on returning defective products other than putting a check mark in a box.

I'm not sure I still have the receipt for shipping and insurance.

I have bought many items over many years from Adorama and have no complaints. It seems that Helen's offer counters any of the OP's problems. Mistakes can happen

For me it was the first time I paid a lot of money for items that far away, but they gave me confidence as they asked for ID check of the credit card and packed the goods very well. Even with shipping+customs it was cheaper than buying over here, and my lens is tack sharp.

Hmmm...perhaps I´ll check out these Adorama people!

I don't think i'll mail order anything that doesn't have any reviews. Purchasing from a store, at least I can check for build quality and durability and it only costs a couple dollars in gas. Buying anything "sight unseen" with no customer reviews is risky - at least having to pay a lot for shipping.

I'd feel better paying the shipping to me if I had just changed my mind and returned it but it was broken before it was shipped to me. Build quality and durability spoke volumes as soon as I opened the package and noticed the damage. I suppose, in that sense, I changed my mind.

Helen, I edited my post above since you stated that guy is a troll. No sense giving his complaint any more net search results (hits).

Last edited:
Adorama has been a good outfit to deal with for a long time. Mistakes can happen and from reading this thread, bdlzd, you were somewhat complicit in a comedy of errors.

Helen explained it fine, get over it.

complicit? I didn't see any instructions (or it was not clear) on returning defective products and being reimbursed for shipping or obtaining a return label. Besides, I put a check mark (defective) in the return PDF and never heard a thing from them about shipping reimbursement until now.

As an honest consumer, i'll "get over it" when I feel satisfied. I don't think Adorama minds this thread, it's free publicity if anything.

I'm not saying Adorama is but there are too many businesses taking advantage of the consumer such as fast food restaurants giving you a cup full of ice with your drink or the local Toyota dealer charging me more than MSRP for all parts on a repair job. I had to do some research and found the correct prices and made a compliant. Toyota cut me a check for the difference. Nowadays, one has to stay on their toes or get "taken to the cleaners" - a sad state of.... IMHO.

Last edited:
Nowadays, one has to stay on their toes or get "taken to the cleaners" - a sad state of.... IMHO.
I'm currently reading "Lustrum" by Robert Harris, set in ancient Rome. I think you had to stay on your toes in those days too! Adorama, meanwhile, seem to be stepping up to the mark on this.

KC: If I were b'LED I'd "get over" this once a full refund or a new bin was safely in my hands.

I have bought from Adorama on several occasions with nary an issue.

A year or two ago a friend of mine got to lusting after a big camera lens and we worked up a deal where I would pay for the lens in trade for an 80 mm Swaro HD scope and a lot of digiscoping and other scope accessories and cameras.

Instead of taking a chance on getting the order wrong, I just gave him my card and let him do the ordering so he could have it sent directly to him and not go around in circles.

When I got home that evening, I received a call from Adorama, verifying that I had authorized the purchase and OK’ing the delivery to another address, not my own. The whole process went without a hitch.

I am sure that Don has ordered more from them than I, and he buys very expensive toys.

Best
Ron

It would have been nice, if they had noticed that I returned under "defective" and it didn't have their pre-paid return label, if they would have just credited me for shipping instead of just taking theirs out of the refund. Perhaps that is asking too much and apparently, one has to ask in this circumstance. I'm sure i'm not the only one who paid to return defective merchandise. There is more paperwork and more transactions now - extra steps...

Still looking for the shipping receipt.........Shouldn't shipping be the same either way? Why do you need a receipt when it's obvious that I shipped it back and you know the rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back