• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Centre Parcs Sherwood Birding Week (1 Viewer)

pauliev69

Proud Smoggie
JUST GOT BACK FROM CENTRE PARCS SHERWOOD FOREST, HAD FOUR LOVELY DAYS BIRDING. HIGHLIGHT OF THE WEEK HAD TO BE MY FIRST GREEN WOODPECKER, A LOVELY SIGHT HIGH IN A CORSICAN PINE SINGING OUT HIS EXPLOSIVE CALLS. I WATCHED A MISTLE THRUSH FEEDING FRUIT TO ONE OF HER YOUNG AT A FEEDING STATION. I SAW MY FIRST CUCKOO BUT ONLY IN FLIGHT, LUCKILLY I WAS WITH A PARK RANGER AT THE TIME AS I HAD MISTAKEN IT FOR A SPARROWHAWK! CLEVER BIRDS THOSE CUCKOOS! I WAS ALSO FORTUNATE TO SEE A PAIR OF LONG TAIL TITS WITH THERE NEW FAMILY ON DISPLAY ALL SEVEN OF THEM, UNLESS THEY HAD ADOPTED SOME OF THEM! ALL IN ALL A REALLY NICE HOLIDAY WITH NATURE RIGHT ON YOUR DOORSTEP. AND HERE FOR ANYONE STILL INTERESTED IS MY LIST.
BLACKBIRD
BLUE TIT
CANADA GOOSE
CHAFFINCH
CHIFFCHAFF
COAL TIT
COLLARDED DOVE
COOT
CUCKOO**
DUNNOCK
EGYPTIAN GOOSE**
GRASSHOPPER WARBLER**
GREAT TIT
GREEN WOODPECKER**
GREAT CRESTED GREBE
GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER
GREENFINCH
JAY
LINNET
LONG TAILED TIT
MAGPIE
MALLARD
MISTLE THRUSH
MOORHEN
MUTE SWAN
NUTHATCH
ROBIN
RUDDY DUCK
SCAUP**
SONG THRUSH
TREECREEPER
TUFTED DUCK
WILLOW WARBLER
WOOD PIGEON
WOODCOCK**
WREN
MARKED** ARE LIFERS

B :)

Excellent list did you see the Grasshopper warbler, they are so hard to find even though you can hear them from great distances.

HI ASHLEY
YES GOT A GOOD LOOK AT THE GRASSHOPPER WARBLER, TRACKED HIS CALL DOWN AND I WAS FORTUNATE TO GET QUITE CLOSE.
;)

Are you just so excited, Paul, or did you leave your Caps Lock on!!! ;)

Nice list, and 6 lifers.. Fantastic!

Woodcock would be a lifer for me, so Well Done!

Interesting that Paul, having seen the tv ads for Center parcs I have wondered if they're telling the whole story. Seems like it is. Sounds an excellent holiday.

Hi pauliev69,

Really great list you have there. Grashopper Warbler, heard but not yet seen. Habitat unfortunately now a housing estate but still have fond memories walking (staggering) back from the pub and hearing it.

Thanks for your report.

Last edited:
Ian
yes it was a great holiday, I would recommend to anyone,of course I would say that it was my seventh visit! Finished my weeks hols with a visit to Low Barnes on Sat and saw a young Tawny Owl (my first). Ended my hols with a visit to Bempton on Sun what a magical place!

Hi Paul,

I was at Low Barns first thing this morning and saw a Tawny Owl had been about, but I didn't get to see it. In fact it was the quietest that I have seen it in years, species wise.

You're right about Bempton though, you can't go wrong there at this time of year. We'll be going back ina couple of weeks time.

Hi Ian,
it was the same at Low Barns on Sat very quiet, one of the reserve rangers found the owl for me, as you come in the drive on the right hand side, but if he had not pointed it out to me I would of missed it. Let me know when you are going to Bempton I would like another visit.

Hi Paul,

It will be roughly three to four weeks now. It owuld have been sooner but tonight I just got booked for a week in Scotland for the second week in June.

Off to Center Parcs Sherwood Forest for my third visit today ... will file report when I get back!

Scope packed - yes
Bins packed - yes
Camera packed - yes
Field book packed - yes
Note book packed - yes
Nice weather booked - yes ?!?

TTFN
Claire

Off to Center Parcs Sherwood Forest for my third visit today ... will file report when I get back!

Scope packed - yes
Bins packed - yes
Camera packed - yes
Field book packed - yes
Note book packed - yes
Nice weather booked - yes ?!?

TTFN
Claire

Trees all burnt down - yes!

Sorry to be a bit flippant, but there has been a huge fire at Sherwood Pines last week. Not too sure of the extent of the damage, i believe it has mostly been confined to monoculture conifer stands, but even these areas can be good for crossbills and other conifer loving birds. I'll be going to Sherwood (Forest, not Pines) in a couple of weeks to see Redstart & hopefully Wood Warbler (and maybe an early Nightjar) and i hope that the fire hasn't been too severe.

Mike

Spent some time in Sherwood Pines but never spotted any fire damage but then the place is quite big. Talking to the Center Parcs Ranger she said there had been a few fires lately but that they seemed to have stopped so maybe they have caught someone?

There are woodlarks nesting in one of the ploughed areas in Sherwood Pines. Also heard cuckoo, willow warbler, and tree pipit but failed to see any of them!!!

Claire

Just goes to show what difference a year makes!

Last year at Center Parcs, Sherwood I managed to spot 25 different species of birds. After a year of building up my knowledge and skill base I managed to increase that to 48. Still got a lot more to learn though as I am sure I missed quite a few! House Martins were actullay spotted at Rufford Abbey and not on the Center Parcs site. Similarly the skylark were seen from inside Center Parcs boundary but they were on adjoining farm land.

We had great weather and a great time. Looking forward to next visit (next year).

Here is my list - it includes 4 lifers (**) and 8 to add to my 2007 list (*).

Blackbird
Blackcap (**)
Blue Tit
Canada Goose
Carrion Crow
Chaffinch
Chiffchaff
Coal Tit
Collared Dove
Coot
Cormorant
Cuckoo (*) - Heard only
Dunnock
Egyptian Goose
Goldfinch
Great Crested Grebe
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Great Tit
Greenfinch
Green Woodpecker (*)
Grey Heron
Greylag Goose
House Martin (*)
House Sparrow
Jackdaw
Jay
Long-tailed tit (*)
Magpie
Mallard
Mistle Thrush (*)
Moorhen
Mute Swan
Nuthatch (*)
Pheasant
Pied Wagtail
Robin
Skylark (*)
Song Thrush
Sparrowhawk
Starling
Stock Dove
Swift (*)
Treecreeper (**)
Tree Pipit (**)
Tufted Duck
Willow Warbler (**)
Woodpigeon
Wren

Brings my totals to 87 life and 79 for 2007. Shows you how long I've been birding for!!!

Claire

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back