• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you have a favorite football game bino? (1 Viewer)

should millions of US football fans be up in arms now?

edj

The game is right. The name is wrong. Proof: Players have to put down the oval shaped "ball" first in order to pick up their arms. A real footballer can shot the ball and his FAMAS simultaneously (and a good one gets bullseye in both circumstances).
It has nothing to do with US. Basketball is a 100% American game with a proper name. And they play gridiron or rugby in many countries other than US.
Speaking in military terms, we stopped calling artillery projectiles "cannonballs" when they changed their shape.
But, I obviously was just kidding. You may call it whatever you like and we may joke with good intentions. :t:

Maybe I'm peculiar, or just don't understand, but I would rather have one alpha pair, and use them for everything, that multiple non-alpha pairs for different uses.

Of course, there are people who can have multiple alphas, but I am not one of them, so I just drag my single pair everywhere, for everything.

The notion that there are "hunting" binoculars, "birding" binoculars, and "football" binoculars, strikes me as odd, to say the least.

Maybe I'm peculiar, or just don't understand, but I would rather have one alpha pair, and use them for everything, that multiple non-alpha pairs for different uses.

Of course, there are people who can have multiple alphas, but I am not one of them, so I just drag my single pair everywhere, for everything.

The notion that there are "hunting" binoculars, "birding" binoculars, and "football" binoculars, strikes me as odd, to say the least.

Back in the good old days when I had seasons tickets to the Eagles I took a cheap Sears 7x35 wide field binocular to the games. I had a friend who took an expensive Leica to the games. One day he forgot it and left it at the stadium. :C

Bob

The problem is that even the best Alpha isn't good for everyhing. If there will ever be an alpha with Papilio's close focus, SHARD's wide field, Duovid's selective magnification, Canon's IS, Opera glasess' weight and size etc, or even a favorable mix of just some of these specifications, one might do that.
But when you have just one pair with you, no matter if it's Alpha or Omega, or its particular specifications that's all you can use at the moment. If that happens to be an Alpha, then the better.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then.

Regarding Alphas I won't disagree with anyone. I didn't try any yet, so, whatever you (any of you) say. I just judge from specs some things and imagine the rest.
Feel free to disagree among yourselves though. :t:

Last edited:
I've taken both a 8x42 and 8x32 Zeiss Victorys, a Leupold 8x32 Gold Ring (what a brick), and last Saturday I had to take my 8x20 Ultravids since my 8x32 Blue Sky is at Sightron for repair. They're sending me new ones as replacement this week, these Blue Skies are bright, clear, and lightweight for football games.

I have an older Leica 7x20B, picked up for $125 nearly 20 years ago, which is perfect for football games. Armored, waterproof, lightweight, reasonably wide FOV. I like 7X, or even 6X, for football. Something like an Eagle Optics Kingbird 6.5x32 ($95 new) would be a good option, or a Kowa YF 6x30.

Bushnell makes an odd binocular just for spectator sports, a 4x30 with a 900' FOV and perma-focus. It might not be bad for a football game. Price is around $90.
http://www.bushnell.com/wildlife/binoculars/spectator/4x-30mm

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back