• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warning! Do NOT buy Zeiss! (1 Viewer)

I was awakened at college by some folks who wanted me to come outside quickly to see the UFO.......I did eventually marry one. :t:

Bill

Now that right there is True Romance!B :)

Regarding original post - I don't quite understand. I once bought a pair of binos from a store, made by one of the "Big 3" (not Zeiss). When I looked through it at home, I noticed stuff in one barrel (black paint chips, I think). So I took it back to the store, smiled and explained the problem, and they immediately replaced it. With a smile and an apology.
On another occasion, I bought a pair of classic porros (the Austrian ones) from an online retailer in the UK. Similar problem - a chip or something inside a barrel. I emailed the retailer, they told me to send them back and sent me a new pair.
These problems are easy to resolve with a pleasant chat, phone call or email. Responsible vendors don't want the hassle of dissatisfied customers. And if you deal with the retailer (who is the first line of responsibility under EU law), you don't even have the hassle of returning the product to the manufacturer.

I complained about a product at a message board on another site, earlier this year, and shouldn't have.
I returned it to the retail store for a refund so, in hind sight, should have said nothing.

In all other cases, I have contacted the manufacturer with the problem and they always came through for me.

The main reason I complained about the product above was because the guys on the other site put down the product I replace it with, so, I had to have my revenge and tell them their favorite, not so perfect, product was a failure for me. :news:

Yes, I know, it was very petty of me! |8(|

Regarding original post - I don't quite understand. I once bought a pair of binos from a store, made by one of the "Big 3" (not Zeiss). When I looked through it at home, I noticed stuff in one barrel (black paint chips, I think). So I took it back to the store, smiled and explained the problem, and they immediately replaced it. With a smile and an apology.

I had the EXACT same experience. I'll name mine though, it was Leica.

No Big Deal.

And Leica is still my favorite of the "Big 3" and I have 3 different Leica units around the house.

No internet beotching necessary.

i am afraid i hate this trial by internet thing. we have an interest in trip advisor (as a restaurant owner) and some of the comments defy belief - that said we are number one in the village and get a lot of business through it - but the odd bad comment (mostly unwarranted) is very disheartening.

i'm not against constructive comments but three of our poorest comments relate to us 'refusing' customers because we were full (they hadn't booked).

'do not buy zeiss' is a damaging headline and something i'm sure will be sorted without the necessity to diss all and sundry.

a purchaser, who normally tests in a shop, then buys through mail order because its cheaper has to then accept the returns policy of that purchasing channel.

in this instance zeiss will have quality controlled the product but things sometimes get bashed around in the post dislodging some unseen dust or part.

i am afraid i hate this trial by internet thing. we have an interest in trip advisor (as a restaurant owner) and some of the comments defy belief - that said we are number one in the village and get a lot of business through it - but the odd bad comment (mostly unwarranted) is very disheartening.

i'm not against constructive comments but three of our poorest comments relate to us 'refusing' customers because we were full (they hadn't booked).

'do not buy zeiss' is a damaging headline and something i'm sure will be sorted without the necessity to diss all and sundry.

a purchaser, who normally tests in a shop, then buys through mail order because its cheaper has to then accept the returns policy of that purchasing channel.

in this instance zeiss will have quality controlled the product but things sometimes get bashed around in the post dislodging some unseen dust or part.

Ah, monsieur Rosbifs;),

We went through your beautifull little village in the summer of '13 and I do hope you recovered well from the dreadfull waterdamage of that year!!
We were very happy to drive with a Landrover Defender through the Pyrennees because when it rains IT RAINS!!!

Jan

Now that right there is True Romance!B :)

On another occasion, I bought a pair of classic porros (the Austrian ones) from an online retailer in the UK. Similar problem - a chip or something inside a barrel. I emailed the retailer, they told me to send them back and sent me a new pair.
These problems are easy to resolve with a pleasant chat, phone call or email. Responsible vendors don't want the hassle of dissatisfied customers. And if you deal with the retailer (who is the first line of responsibility under EU law), you don't even have the hassle of returning the product to the manufacturer.

"Responsibility" would also serve the user, if they could get their brains around maturity and really understand a little about optics. Instead they will brag about low-ball prices on their GREAT bino, and then whine that it's really NOT an "Alpha."

There is a reason I don't respect such behavior; it doesn't deserve any. It's like a person who WANTS to drive but bellyaches about all those confusing dials on the dashboard! :eek!:

Bill

There is a reason I don't respect such behavior; it doesn't deserve any. It's like a person who WANTS to drive but bellyaches about all those confusing dials on the dashboard! :eek!:

Bill

I don't understand a lot of my dashboard. I just drive. I once had a 2nd hand Japanese import Nissan Serena, lovely family wagon, that had a button on the dash that said 'Snow'. It never, ever snowed when I pressed it, and I never complained on a Nissan forum. But in the interests of giving online credit where due, the retailer that immediately exchanged my binos was Conn's Cameras in Dublin, and the online guys in the UK that did likewise were Clifton Cameras. Top Folk.

Now Bill, thats a little harsh isnt it. :-O

He came on to blast Zeiss, left and hasnt been back since.

That's exactly why I try to save people from themselves whenever I can. Sometimes they won't let me, choosing instead to walk into the fire. We all have free agency. Many people want that agency without the responsibility that comes with it. The two, however, are inseparable. Not WANTING to understand that is why our prisons are bursting at the seams.

And Pert, "Pert," I like that, the picture they have of you in the post office looked really good. You're no Dillinger, but I'm sure you're working on it. |8.|

Bill

Last edited:
Now Bill, thats a little harsh isnt it. :-O

He came on to blast Zeiss, left and hasnt been back since.

That's what kept me in trouble over at CN. Some people would come on, with zero knowledge of optics, and start pontificating about all manner of things, hoping to secure themselves a place of honor in the community. Then when I would try to introduce a little reality into the conversation, they would either fiercely kick against the pricks or take their ball and go home.

Bill:eek!:

Last edited:
Ah, monsieur Rosbifs;),

We went through your beautifull little village in the summer of '13 and I do hope you recovered well from the dreadfull waterdamage of that year!!
We were very happy to drive with a Landrover Defender through the Pyrennees because when it rains IT RAINS!!!

Jan

Did you stay in Luz at all? I remember a dutch couple with a Landrover Defender and a big dog (it bit the wife in the campsite)...

Things have recovered but there is still a lot of work to do in and around the area. Some business have crashed (in Bareges).

Did you stay in Luz at all? I remember a dutch couple with a Landrover Defender and a big dog (it bit the wife in the campsite)...

Things have recovered but there is still a lot of work to do in and around the area. Some business have crashed (in Bareges).

No, we were passing through (and are wildcampers) and our Labrador only appetites postmen.

Jan

That's good to know. Does he only bite them in their "campsite?";)3:)

Bob

Bob / Jan

Aren't we supposed to call them 'postpersons' or 'mailpersons' today, since some of them are ladies?

Or even 'deliverers of positive postal outcomes?' :-O

Lee

I had a similar issue with a Zeiss Conquest rifle scope I purchased. It had about 5 small pieces of dust/dirt ??? or something in the view when looking thru it.

The retailer (Cabela's) took it back and quickly replaced it with another unit that had no such problems. The second Conquest rifle scope I purchased (Cabela's) had no such problem, and the Conquest HD binoculars I purchased (Cabela's) had no such problem.

Guess it didn't stop me from purchasing additional Zeiss, but I was surprised to see such a unit in the first place. I tend to agree, this shouldn't happen.... but it does.

CG

I'd like to chime in and say that I have owned a few Zeiss products. Two rifle scopes (4.5-14x40 and 5-25x50)as well as a pair of Conquest HD binoculars.

I keep coming back to Zeiss as their products provide a good price/performance for their class and they have great customer service.

I think it's irresponsible and petty to get on an international forum and complain about a company before giving that Co. a chance to address their mistake.

Chit happens. Especially when people are involved.

I'm not especially a Zeiss fan, but I have no doubt they'll make it right.

I don't agree. This is a price range where these things should not happen. and if they do, the best one can do to motivate a manufacturer to improve their QC is to make these things public. Particularly in these times when so much needs to be ordered in the internet.

I should add that this is not Zeiss specific, but their QC has been particularly spotty in the past. I had even finger prints on a prism.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back