• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first Alpha! (1 Viewer)

HighNorth

Hi everyone!

My primary birding binocular so far has been the Nikon Monarch 7 8x42, but I'm starting to get a bit bored with it, and want something better (know the feeling?)... ;)

More to the point: I want a bin with similar technical parameters to the Monarch (FOV, weight, ergonomics etc.) but with superior optical performance and workmanship (hate those cheap plastic eyecups on the Monarch, grrrr! :C)

So; now I'm entering the exciting world of the alpha bino! :t:

First some considerations:

Money is no object! :king:
I have no problem shelling out £2000 + for something like a high-end Swarovski or the already mythical Zeiss Victory SF. However, if I can get an alpha bin for less, and still have money left over for various accessories (and food) that would be a plus. :eat:

Magnification
I'm primarily interested in a 8x bin, but since I watch a lot of seabirds and raptors, I would also consider aquiring a 10x, if the FOV is not too constricted (114m at 1000m is my minimum requirement).

Rolling ball effect
I haven't noticed the rolling ball effect much with the Monarch 7, which I have been told is quite suceptible to this, so I reckon I have no problems with it.

Size of eye relief
Not an issue, since I'm not an eyeglass wearer.

Field of view
Obviously, the bigger the better.

Cold weather
The bins need to be servicable in temperatures down to -30 centigrade.

Winged eyecups
Something I would like to have in a bin, but not mandatory.

I have made a shortlist of the binos I am considering purchasing, and it goes a bit like this:

1. Nikon EDG 8x42

Pros:
- My first choice, since I have been really pleased Monarch as well as other Nikon products in the past. o:D
- I have read a lot of good things on this forum about the optical quality, ergonomics etc. of this bin.
- Winged eyecups! I really like to be able to block out stray light, and I am surprised not more manufacturers are offering this option.
- Focusing wheel/diopter is supposed to be very smooth
- Seems to be a somewhat cheaper bin than the other "alphas"

Cons:
- Nikon's crappy warranty...

2. Leica Ultravid HD 8x42

Pros:
- Overall excellent reputation for optical quality and sturdiness
- Doesn't use a field flattener (?), so is supposed to have a somewhat richer 3D image according to what I've read.
- Seems to be selling at discounted prices lately due to the introduction of Leica's "new" HD-plus bins. :cool:

Cons:
- Pretty much an "older technology" bin without field flattener.
- Lower FOV than some other alpha bins.
- Warranty used to be 30 years, but is now only 10 years.

3. Swarovski

The only alpha bin I have actually looked through (it believe it was an older model SLC 8x50). Stunning views!

The two main models I've been looking at buying are the 8.5x42 and the 8x32 SVs (the last one because of its light weight), but I might also consider the 8x42 SLC.

Pros:
- Can't fault the optical quality.
- Winged eyecups available as accessories!

Cons:
- I've heard these bins are fussy like racehorses, and need to be handed in frequently to the manufacturer for fixing/maintennance by their owners.
- Diopter/focusing knob tends to seize up in cold weather, is this true?
- I can't stand the puke-green exterior of most of Swaro's binos...

4. Zeiss Victory SF

Pros:
- Obviously aims to be the ultimate birdwatching binocular!
- Amazing FOV for the 8x42, and impressive also for the 10x42, so I might end up opting for the latter.
- I've heard it will be available in 8x32 in the not so distant future, which would make it a real alternative to Swaro's bin of the same configuration.

Cons:
It's a completely new bin which may have some teething problems...

So, any comments or suggestions? :-O And yes, I know you should try before you buy etc. etc.

Last edited:
Happy 7x42 EDG-owner here, so think you'd be very pleased with the 8x42 EDGs. Can't add much about the others - think you'll have to look through and compare them if you can and then see what kind of deal you can get. I got my EDGs when Nikon had a £250 cashback which helped. I would say with the EDGs that you might as well go with the 42s, as the 32s aren't much smaller or lighter (unlike, say, with the Swaros, where the 32s are much smaller).

I just bought an EL 10X42 SV and am thrilled with them, but out of your list I wouldn't pretend to know which model would be best for your eyes. I think Grando's answer pretty well nails it.

to repeat a common answer

you would probably be happy with any of the above
go to a dealer with all/most options and try for yourself

comes down to your personal preference

edj

I just bought an EL 10X42 SV and am thrilled with them, but out of your list I wouldn't pretend to know which model would be best for your eyes. I think Grando's answer pretty well nails it.

Thanks for the replies!

I am also considering buying the Vortex Razor HD 8x42 binoculars (latest model, with open bridge design). I already own a Vortex Razor spotting scope, and if those bins are on par with the scope optically, I think I would be very pleased with them!

There is also the amazing warranty, and good choice of accessories.

Yeah, I know the Vortex is not a "true" alpha, but who cares! ;)

I am also considering buying the Vortex Razor HD 8x42 binoculars (latest model, with open bridge design). I already own a Vortex Razor spotting scope, and if those bins are on par with the scope optically, I think I would be very pleased with them!

There is also the amazing warranty, and good choice of accessories.

Yeah, I know the Vortex is not a "true" alpha, but who cares! ;)

I own the Razor HD 12x50 and it's pretty incredible. The glass could be slightly better for the price (has moderate CA) but the overall fit&finish is pretty remarkable. Incredibly lightweight too.

Yes, I have heard, but the "old" Ultravid HD is currently retailing in my country for about $800 less than the "new" HD-plus, and I am not sure the marginal (?) improvement represented by the HD-plus is worth the extra cost.

Hey I'm not the one that wrote "money is no object" in my original post. :scribe:

It seems to me that the HD-Plus is Leica's answer to the Zeiss Victory HT (with the focus on high light transmission). The HT is another binocular I'm not considering, mainly due to the narrow FOV.

HN,
You gave the EDG a lot of pros and only one con and you listed
it at the top. I say try the EDG out first and, since you really like
Nikon, it seems a logical progression. Finding a store that has
most of these models to compare would be ideal of course.

Happy shopping :)

~ Beth

Last edited:
High North

I do a lot of my birding in the Western Isles of Scotland. Not quite as far north as you, but with a similar mix of land, freshwater and sea-water all mixed up: wonderful.

Because of this my birding involves a lot of gulls, terns, skuas (jaegers), divers, diving ducks and also otters, whales, dolphins etc.

For all of these, but especially for the things that dive below water and you don't know where they will come to the surface again, I would choose SF 8x42 for its huge field of view. It handles really nicely as well so you would be comfortable holding them up to your eyes for long spells of time.

All of the other models you mention are fine instruments and to really choose between them you would need to spend a good length of time with them, side-by-side.

But for birding and whaling and ottering and sealing in northern waters, SF would be my first choice.

Lee

HN,
You gave the EDG a lot of pros and only one con and you listed
it at the top. I say try the EDG out first and, since you really like
Nikon, it seems a logical progression. Finding a store that has
most of these models to compare would be ideal of course.

Happy shopping :)

~ Beth

Thanks! I won't conceal that I'm a bit biased towards Nikon! ;)

Hi Troubadour!

Thank you for your two pennies' worth! ;)

I was actually watching a couple of diving ducks in the local fjord the other day at a distance of about 4-5 meters from land with my 8x42, and I actually thought to my self that a 10x would have provided too close a view!

I also found that for watching seals swimming in the fjord at about 200-300 meters, I really needed my scope in order to see much detail anyway (just their tiny little heads sticking up above the water).

If the Zeiss Victory SF 8x42 really is as good as you say, I'm bumping it to the top of my list! :t:

Hi HighNorth,

I doubt that you have shops stocking top binoculars anywhere near you.
So you need to choose remotely.

I spent a week in Hammerfest and a day in Ivalo and I think you need a very rugged binocular that easily copes in -30C.
Leica aren't the flavour of the month but I think some work without grease so may cope well. They used to specify -25C.
I presume the Zeiss SF is also good.

Of course Russian binoculars cope with minus 40 degrees but they don't have the quality you require.

Unfortunately I never got to Kirkenes. Are there 4 local languages?

Good luck with your choice.

Hi,

I've just gone through the same process, but with maybe less/fewer strict criteria. I do or have owned '3' alpha bins in different configurations,including the ones I eventually bought and all are or have been exceptional. Equally all have had their faults. So for me you'll not go far wrong with any.

However, this time round I spent ages trying all the top 4, so to speak, leica, zeiss, swarovski and Nikon. In the end it was minutiae that nailed it. I was blown away by the zeiss ht ( more so than by the st) but found them a little front heavy. I've owned a leica ba for years and love it, but their customer service reputation has suffered recently. The Nikons were awesome but I hate the way my HGs hang on their strap and the edg didn't feel any better, and the rubber on my hg eyecups has degraded inside of 10 yrs without any excessive use. The swarovskis have thumb rest cutaways that annoyed me, and a stiffer focus than I'm used to. In the end it was these tiny things that swung it because optically I was really struggling to separate any of them. But all of these are personal so.......I won't say it, but if you are shelling out nearly £2000 on something to last you years you really should!

I bought the Swarovskis by the way.

Hi everyone!

My primary birding binocular so far has been the Nikon Monarch 7 8x42, but I'm starting to get a bit bored with it, and want something better (know the feeling?)... ;)

More to the point: I want a bin with similar technical parameters to the Monarch (FOV, weight, ergonomics etc.) but with superior optical performance and workmanship (hate those cheap plastic eyecups on the Monarch, grrrr! :C)

So; now I'm entering the exciting world of the alpha bino! :t:

First some considerations:

Money is no object! :king:
I have no problem shelling out £2000 + for something like a high-end Swarovski or the already mythical Zeiss Victory SF. However, if I can get an alpha bin for less, and still have money left over for various accessories (and food) that would be a plus. :eat:

Magnification
I'm primarily interested in a 8x bin, but since I watch a lot of seabirds and raptors, I would also consider aquiring a 10x, if the FOV is not too constricted (114m at 1000m is my minimum requirement).

Rolling ball effect
I haven't noticed the rolling ball effect much with the Monarch 7, which I have been told is quite suceptible to this, so I reckon I have no problems with it.

Size of eye relief
Not an issue, since I'm not an eyeglass wearer.

Field of view
Obviously, the bigger the better.

Cold weather
The bins need to be servicable in temperatures down to -30 centigrade.

Winged eyecups
Something I would like to have in a bin, but not mandatory.

I have made a shortlist of the binos I am considering purchasing, and it goes a bit like this:

1. Nikon EDG 8x42

Pros:
- My first choice, since I have been really pleased Monarch as well as other Nikon products in the past. o:D
- I have read a lot of good things on this forum about the optical quality, ergonomics etc. of this bin.
- Winged eyecups! I really like to be able to block out stray light, and I am surprised not more manufacturers are offering this option.
- Focusing wheel/diopter is supposed to be very smooth
- Seems to be a somewhat cheaper bin than the other "alphas"

Cons:
- Nikon's crappy warranty...

2. Leica Ultravid HD 8x42

Pros:
- Overall excellent reputation for optical quality and sturdiness
- Doesn't use a field flattener (?), so is supposed to have a somewhat richer 3D image according to what I've read.
- Seems to be selling at discounted prices lately due to the introduction of Leica's "new" HD-plus bins. :cool:

Cons:
- Pretty much an "older technology" bin without field flattener.
- Lower FOV than some other alpha bins.
- Warranty used to be 30 years, but is now only 10 years.

3. Swarovski

The only alpha bin I have actually looked through (it believe it was an older model SLC 8x50). Stunning views!

The two main models I've been looking at buying are the 8.5x42 and the 8x32 SVs (the last one because of its light weight), but I might also consider the 8x42 SLC.

Pros:
- Can't fault the optical quality.
- Winged eyecups available as accessories!

Cons:
- I've heard these bins are fussy like racehorses, and need to be handed in frequently to the manufacturer for fixing/maintennance by their owners.
- Diopter/focusing knob tends to seize up in cold weather, is this true?
- I can't stand the puke-green exterior of most of Swaro's binos...

4. Zeiss Victory SF

Pros:
- Obviously aims to be the ultimate birdwatching binocular!
- Amazing FOV for the 8x42, and impressive also for the 10x42, so I might end up opting for the latter.
- I've heard it will be available in 8x32 in the not so distant future, which would make it a real alternative to Swaro's bin of the same configuration.

Cons:
It's a completely new bin which may have some teething problems...

So, any comments or suggestions? :-O And yes, I know you should try before you buy etc. etc.

Hi North,

First, as the world's leading expert on "Rolling Ball," I have to tell you that you have been misinformed about it being an issue with the M7. I haven't read one complaint about it. The 8x30 model certainly had no RB, and I am sensitive to it. AFAIK, the only Nikons that lack sufficient pincushion to cause RB are the full sized Premiers (HGL) and the Aculon (aspheric optics, the RB is at a lower level than the HGL).

Since the M7 has only been out about a year, it seems you get bored pretty easily. Hope that won't happen with the alpha, or else you will be in an endless cycle of buying and selling like someone we all know, because there's always a new "latest and greatest" around the corner.

OTOH, your reasoning sounds solid, it's not that you don't like the M7 except for the plastic eyecups (I think the 8x30 I tried had comfortable rubber eyecups, somebody correct me if I'm wrong). If you're secure in your hobby, that is, it's not a fly-by-night affair, and you're looking at a long-term relationship, an alpha would be the ticket, although there are also some fine choices at the second-tier level these days, which will give you almost the same performance and build quality as an alpha.

If you like the "Nikon view" (i.e., sharp edges and "warm" color balance), then you should be very happy with the EDG. The view reminds me of the Nikon SE series, which will get you there for a fraction of the cost if you didn't live above the Arctic Circle!

I haven't tried the 8x42 SLC, only the 10x42 model, but I assume the view is similar with a larger FOV, so it would also be a good choice since it offers a view that is similar to the M7/SE, though not quite as "warm," but VG edges and w/out RB.

I think you are right about the "teething problems" with the SF. I'm also not sure about the color balance. Zeiss's trademark is to push the spectrum in the green and yellow, bring it up slightly in the violet/blue and sink it like a stone in the red. I prefer the warmer color balance of the Nikon and Swaro, and it sounds like you do, too.

If I had deep pockets the color balance would be my chief concern with the SF, otherwise, on paper, it sounds ideal for a big handed birder like myself who prefers WF bins and open bridge/open hinge roofs.

So your choice is to either go with what you know, the EDG or SLC, or wait until you can get your hands on an SF and try one for yourself. But by then, you might have died of boredom. ;)

Brock

Last edited:
Hello High North,

Have you given any consideration to an 8x32, like the Zeiss the FL, or a Leica? I am guessing that you want the longer twilight abilities of the 8x42 over the 8x32. In which case, I understand your preferences.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back