• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

Spotshank

I'm wanting to try and get a good photo of a Spotshank - can anyone who has been to Blacktoft Sands recently confirm if they are showing from Marshland? Not interested in any from any of the other hides as they are too far away.

Also, any other waders giving good views from Marshland?

Thanks for your help.

A good one that summarises the occurrence of each species is: The Birds of Spurn Peninsula: A Comprehensive Checklist, 2nd Edition by Geoff Neal, 2007

Hello Trystan, the Spurn Checklist that Michael mentions is available from Kew Villa, Kilnsea, HU12 0UB for £5 + £1 p+p, or you get it free at the moment if you join friends of spurn bird observatory, details on the website

Andy Roadhouse

I'm wanting to try and get a good photo of a Spotshank - can anyone who has been to Blacktoft Sands recently confirm if they are showing from Marshland? Not interested in any from any of the other hides as they are too far away.

Thanks for your help.

My blog explains the situation at 8am Friday morning

Thanks for your help.

Hi Lawts

I was there on Thursday and they were in plentiful supply and showing very well from Marshland. Marshland in fact was the only hide really worth the trip with a variety of waders about. Everywhere else was very disappointing and the lagoons covered by the hides at both ends were totally dry.

Graeme

Had an interesting Chiffchaff in old fall hedge yesterday that was calling like tristis and responded to tristis calls but then went back to the usual disyllabic stuff. Views showed a lack of olive tones as could be ascertained but it was a skulker. Abietinus I suppose. Close but not quite.

Hello Trystan, the Spurn Checklist that Michael mentions is available from Kew Villa, Kilnsea, HU12 0UB for £5 + £1 p+p, or you get it free at the moment if you join friends of spurn bird observatory, details on the website

Andy Roadhouse

Thanks, I will pick a copy up next time over which should be quite soon.

Thanks, I will pick a copy up next time over which should be quite soon.

Why not Join friends of Spurn Trystan? You'd be supporting the obs which I'm sure everyone agrees is a worthwhile cause, and you get the 2011 report (worth £8) when it comes out. So at the moment for £20 quid you'll get £13 worth of publications, reduced accommodation and privileged access to areas out of bounds for non friends. Bargain.

Here's a link to the website page: http://spurnbirdobservatory.co.uk/friends.html

G

If it's sunnier tomorrow than it was today, there's a great chance of getting decent Hobby photographs in the "Kingfisher" hide at Tophill Low. The distant Jack Snipe was a nice find for the morning session ;)

Attachments

• 04-10-11Hobby129THL00.jpg
    04-10-11Hobby129THL00.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 78
Was wondering where to go after having my flu shot tomorrow, now I know - sun or not if there is a chance of jack snipe I'm game. Where was the bird seen today Mike and do you know if it is staying in the same area?

If it's sunnier tomorrow than it was today, there's a great chance of getting decent Hobby photographs in the "Kingfisher" hide at Tophill Low. The distant Jack Snipe was a nice find for the morning session ;)

Was wondering where to go after having my flu shot tomorrow, now I know - sun or not if there is a chance of jack snipe I'm game. Where was the bird seen today Mike and do you know if it is staying in the same area?

It remained in the same spot all day - it was on South Marsh West viewed from the right of the 2 back-2-back hides (ask reserve warden if he's there). It is distant, so you would need your scope it's along the channel on the left - it starts with open water, but the Jack Snipe was in the section with the mud, underneath the reeds

Just had 2 chiffchaff outside work, one in full song. New one for the work list if I kept one.

Don't know what to do at the weekend. The solitary sandpiper looks settled but only a UK tick, Jack snipe on the other hand would be a lifer, they usually clear off just before I get there.

I'd go for the Solitary Sand! Jacks are a lot easier to connect with that Solitary Sands.

Yes Trystan, the British list is usually the most important to birders, (each to their own though). Don't regret it later - you could be years waiting for another Solitary, or have to travel to Ireland or Scilly etc. to catch up with one - this is on your doorstep.

Jack Snipes are annual if you want them to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back