• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuerteventura 24 Sep to 1 Oct 2015 (1 Viewer)

david kelly

Drive-by Birder
Scotland
Just got back from Fuerteventura, hired a car for three days. Notable sightings included:

Ruddy Shelduck: Lots around Los Molinos.
Cory's Shearwater: one seen from boat going to Los Lobos from Corralejo
Cream-coloured Courser: A courser nearly got run over by our Corsa on the road between El Roque and El Cotillo.
Black-winged Stilt: 6 seen at Los Molinos
Greenshank: One seen on the rocky shore at Corralejo and a few at Los Molinos.
Black-bellied Sandgrouse: A flock of seven seen at Los Molinos with more being heard around that area.
Hoopoe: Seen on a few occasions at Corralejo, La Oliva and Los Molinos.
Lesser Short-toed Lark: A flock seen on the western side of La Oliva.
Berthelot's Pipit: Common.
Fuerteventura (Stone)Chat: We saw these at the site just of the road to La Calderata. Follow the road to the kennels ("Hotel Canina") but take the right hand fork. Three birds (2 males) were quite obvious along the fence line on the left where the track flattens out.
Spectacled Warbler: Common wherever there was scrub.
Willow Warbler: One seen in bushes at Casa los Coronels, La Oliva
Southern Grey Shrike: Common and easy to see away from Corralejo
Raven: Common, even around our hotel in Corralejo.
Spanish Sparrow: Common.
Trumpeter Finch: A few at Los Molinos.

Misses were Egyptian Vulture and Houbara Bustard but we had seen these on Lanzarote in 2014 so not seeing these was no biggie.

David

Just got back from Fuerteventura, hired a car for three days. Notable sightings included:

Ruddy Shelduck: Lots around Los Molinos.
Cory's Shearwater: one seen from boat going to Los Lobos from Corralejo
Cream-coloured Courser: A courser nearly got run over by our Corsa on the road between El Roque and El Cotillo.
Black-winged Stilt: 6 seen at Los Molinos
Greenshank: One seen on the rocky shore at Corralejo and a few at Los Molinos.
Black-bellied Sandgrouse: A flock of seven seen at Los Molinos with more being heard around that area.
Hoopoe: Seen on a few occasions at Corralejo, La Oliva and Los Molinos.
Lesser Short-toed Lark: A flock seen on the western side of La Oliva.
Berthelot's Pipit: Common.
Fuerteventura (Stone)Chat: We saw these at the site just of the road to La Calderata. Follow the road to the kennels ("Hotel Canina") but take the right hand fork. Three birds (2 males) were quite obvious along the fence line on the left where the track flattens out.
Spectacled Warbler: Common wherever there was scrub.
Willow Warbler: One seen in bushes at Casa los Coronels, La Oliva
Southern Grey Shrike: Common and easy to see away from Corralejo
Raven: Common, even around our hotel in Corralejo.
Spanish Sparrow: Common.
Trumpeter Finch: A few at Los Molinos.

Misses were Egyptian Vulture and Houbara Bustard but we had seen these on Lanzarote in 2014 so not seeing these was no biggie.

David

Thanks for that-brings back memories.
Not sure if it is a reliable site for Egyptian Vulture but I saw one in the volcanic valley off the road between Caleta De Fusta and Jandia.As you leave Caleta De Fusta drive towards the saltpans.The road turns west and inland for a while.Carry on till you see the first road to your left for the volcanic valley.
We were thinking of a Winter break in Lanzorote.Do you know any good birdwatching sites near Playa Blanca?We don't bother hiring cars these das so we are looking for places within walking distance,by bus or taxi.The hotel is near the lighthouse.

Thanks for that-brings back memories.
Not sure if it is a reliable site for Egyptian Vulture but I saw one in the volcanic valley off the road between Caleta De Fusta and Jandia.As you leave Caleta De Fusta drive towards the saltpans.The road turns west and inland for a while.Carry on till you see the first road to your left for the volcanic valley.
We were thinking of a Winter break in Lanzorote.Do you know any good birdwatching sites near Playa Blanca?We don't bother hiring cars these das so we are looking for places within walking distance,by bus or taxi.The hotel is near the lighthouse.

Thanks

I have never stayed in Playa Blanca although I think that Wolfbirder knows the area quite well and will be able to help if you contact him. There is a plain on the outskirts of Playa Blanca which has Houbara and Courser but I am not familiar with it. I saw Houbara and Egyptian Vulture in El Jable near Teguise in the north and we needed a hire car to go there. Barbary Partridge is easiest to see at the Golf course just inland from Costa Teguise, again quite far from Playa Blanca. El Charco in Arrecife is a good site for herons and waders.

David

ive just spent 23 days on Fuerteventura from sept 16th… he’s a list of some of the birds i saw..

HOUBARA BUSTARD - 1 - on the plains at Tindaya(although i didn’t spend much time searching, as its far easier early on in the year)
CREAM-COLOURED COURSER - 3 - on the plains at Tindaya
BLACK-BELLIED SANDGROUSE - 50+ - flocks at Los Molinos res, and the upper Barranco De La Torre
LAUGHING DOVE - 10+ - singles and pairs at Corralejo, Caleta De Fuste, Betancuria, Stella Canaris resort(closed down hotel/zoo) at Jandia, and Pajara
EGYPTIAN VULTURE - 20+ - pairs at Pozo Nergo and upper Barranco De La Torre, up to a dozen at the feeding station at Tiscamanita, and up to 6 birds at a roost near Villaverde
BARBARY FALCON - 4 - 2 near Antigua, and singles at Los Molinos and Tindaya
BLACK KITE - 1 - upper Barranco De La Torre
BOOTED EAGLE - 1 - Los Molinos Res
FUERTEVENTURA CHAT - 20+ - seen randomly around the island, but Pozo Negro was quite reliable
ULTRAMARINE TIT - 5+ - seen at Stella Canaris resort(closed down hotel/zoo) at Jandia, Pajara, and Betancuria
PIED FLYCATCHER - 500+ - everywhere i went they were there, and i hazard a guess that there were probably umpteen thousands on the island. better than crossing the saharah i guess.
BLACK-WINGED STILT - 25+ seen at Los Molinos res, and upper Barranco De La Torre
GREEN SANDPIPER - 1 - upper Barranco De La Torre
CORYS SHEARWATER - 10+ - seen offshore from Caleta De Fuste, and one juv still in a burrow on the cliffs near Parque Holandes
KENTISH PLOVER - 14 - in one group just south of Caleta De Fuste
CUCKOO - 1 - juv upper Barranco De La Torre
ORTOLAN - 1 - juv? upper Barranco De La Torre
STONE CURLEW - 2 - in the usual place on the plains at Tindaya
CATTLE EGRET - 30+ - coming in to the roost at Stella Canaris resort(closed down hotel/zoo) at Jandia… with up to 20 Sacred Ibis and a few Hadada Ibis

if anyones planning a visit or a revisit please feel free to ask for any info, as i know the island really well and theres a few really good birding places that arnt generally known..

ive just spent 23 days on Fuerteventura from sept 16th… he’s a list of some of the birds i saw..

HOUBARA BUSTARD - 1 - on the plains at Tindaya(although i didn’t spend much time searching, as its far easier early on in the year)
CREAM-COLOURED COURSER - 3 - on the plains at Tindaya
BLACK-BELLIED SANDGROUSE - 50+ - flocks at Los Molinos res, and the upper Barranco De La Torre
LAUGHING DOVE - 10+ - singles and pairs at Corralejo, Caleta De Fuste, Betancuria, Stella Canaris resort(closed down hotel/zoo) at Jandia, and Pajara
EGYPTIAN VULTURE - 20+ - pairs at Pozo Nergo and upper Barranco De La Torre, up to a dozen at the feeding station at Tiscamanita, and up to 6 birds at a roost near Villaverde
BARBARY FALCON - 4 - 2 near Antigua, and singles at Los Molinos and Tindaya
BLACK KITE - 1 - upper Barranco De La Torre
BOOTED EAGLE - 1 - Los Molinos Res
FUERTEVENTURA CHAT - 20+ - seen randomly around the island, but Pozo Negro was quite reliable
ULTRAMARINE TIT - 5+ - seen at Stella Canaris resort(closed down hotel/zoo) at Jandia, Pajara, and Betancuria
PIED FLYCATCHER - 500+ - everywhere i went they were there, and i hazard a guess that there were probably umpteen thousands on the island. better than crossing the saharah i guess.
BLACK-WINGED STILT - 25+ seen at Los Molinos res, and upper Barranco De La Torre
GREEN SANDPIPER - 1 - upper Barranco De La Torre
CORYS SHEARWATER - 10+ - seen offshore from Caleta De Fuste, and one juv still in a burrow on the cliffs near Parque Holandes
KENTISH PLOVER - 14 - in one group just south of Caleta De Fuste
CUCKOO - 1 - juv upper Barranco De La Torre
ORTOLAN - 1 - juv? upper Barranco De La Torre
STONE CURLEW - 2 - in the usual place on the plains at Tindaya
CATTLE EGRET - 30+ - coming in to the roost at Stella Canaris resort(closed down hotel/zoo) at Jandia… with up to 20 Sacred Ibis and a few Hadada Ibis

if anyones planning a visit or a revisit please feel free to ask for any info, as i know the island really well and theres a few really good birding places that arnt generally known..

Looks like you had a great time Miami!.....Very impressed with those Pied Fly.numbers. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back