• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Glossy Ibis, UK. (1 Viewer)

The Raptor

Bristol City's No.1 Fan!
While out on Northwick Wharf (Severnside) yesterday afternoon, I photographed this distant bird & thought it must be a Grey Heron, I thought no more about it, until discovering today that a Glossy Ibis was seen over the area yesterday. So did I actually see the Glossy Ibis, any help appreciated. Sorry about the very poor quality of the image.

ROD.

Attachments

• Northwich Wharf 005 (3).jpg
    Northwich Wharf 005 (3).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 300
Thanks for the info rockfowl, I have just found out that the Glossy Ibis was seen an hour after I left the area, sod it, I missed out there alright........Cheers ROD.

A glossy ibis is considerably smaller than a heron, more little egret sized. Its body is mallard-sized, but with a longer neck & legs.

Attachments

• IMG_1825 copy.jpg
    IMG_1825 copy.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 167
Also, a Glossy Ibis seen at a similar angle to the Grey Heron in your pic would have proportionally shorter wings, and, most importantly, appear all dark, whereas your bird shows the typical contrast between grey coverts and darker flight feathers of a Grey Heron.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back