• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A long post about my experience of various optics.. (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

Optics are fun..and now and then I am considering investing in new optics. Through the years I have owned some optics from different manufacturers - particularly Nikon. Currently I have the following setup: Nikon EDG 8x42, Nikon 8x32 SE, Nikon ED82 + 30x + 50x DS DS + 25-75x and the Nikon ED50. I am very happy with this stuff..except for one thing - the narrow field ov view of the zoom. The field of view is ok if the birds sit still, but to follow a flying bird (at least those that do not move in a straight horizontal path) is a challenge out of the ordinary!

I'm pretty picky when it comes to optics and prefer to have a binocular and a spotting scope from the same manufacturer. It's not about snobbery or so, but it just feels better that way. Moreover, the chances are greater that the color balance etc are similar between the binocular and the spotting scope if they are from the same manufacturer. Anyway..in the last few years I have spent some time looking through various binoculars and spotting scopes to really see what brands/models I like and do not like.

Below I have listed some binoculars and spotting scopes that I have looked through over the years. Most of them have I tried over long periods of time on several different occasions, but some have only been used for a few minutes because I was quick to note that they were not what I was searching for. Some personal comments are in the list too!

Steiner Discovery 8x44: Not at all my cup of tea. I felt that it optically not delivered what I hoped for..and certainly not on par with eg Swarovski or Nikon.

Leica Ultravid 7x42 HD: A pair of binoculars I like even though I should not do it. Why should I not like it? Compared to my Nikon EDG 8x42 it shows more chromatic aberration, have less field of view, less eye-relief, not as nice focus and clearly softer edges.

Meopta B1 7x42: No HD glass = strongly color cast (yellow). It is quite bulky and relatively heavy. The focusing was on the tested specimen quite sluggish. Otherwise a very nice pair of binoculars to look through.

Zeiss Victory HT: A pair of binoculars I have only looked briefly through. Has nothing specific to say about the optical quality, but the model did not suit me at all because I felt that the focus wheel was misplaced. I usually place my index fingers on the forehead, partly to minimize shaking and partly to get a precise distance between the binocular eyepieces and my glasses. This technique is impossible to do with Zeiss HT, unless one focuses with the little fingers.

(Zeiss Victory 8x42 SF): This bino have I not looked through, but because the focus wheel looks to be positioned exactly as in the HT, I conclude that this model does not suit me either.

Kowa Prominar 8,5x44: Manages chromatic aberration best of all binoculars I ever have tried. In many ways, a nice pair of binoculars, but I felt that the colors were a bit toward cyan. It has a quite narrow field of view and is relatively large and heavy.

Swarovski 8,5x42 Swarovision: Crisp and nice to hold, but the phenomenon of "rolling ball" makes me seasick. Would not even want it if I had gotten it for free..

Swarovski 8x32 Swarovision: Does not give as much rolling ball as the 8.5x42, but I experience the phenomenon even in this model. Compared with most other binoculars I've tried, I feel that the 8x32 Swarovision is more difficult to look through. I simply have a hard time with eye placement when I use it.

Swarovski 8x42 SLC: A very competent binocular that I do not think has some obvious flaws. This is one of the binoculars I've owned before, but unfortunately I had to give it back to the dealer because of a choppy and squeaking focus and because it leaked water so that it became fogged up on the inside. Pure bad luck with that particular copy I suppose! Yesterday I tried another copy of this model..and the focusing of that one was absolutely perfect! The same tension of the focus wheel no matter which direction it was turned to. And totally smooth!

Swarovski 10x42 SLC: Tried this for just a little while yesterday. Do not really have anything to say about it more than that I prefer the wider field of view of the 8x42.

Nikon 8x32 SE: My first binocular that I bought and still are in my possession. I think this bino is the sharpest of all binos I've ever tried. But sharpness is not everything. It handles chromatic aberrations quite well despite the lack of ED glass..but it is unfortunately not quite as good as eg Nikon EDG. The SE is not as bright as the EDG, has not as large field of view, is not quite as easy to look through, has a focusing wheel that becomes very sluggish at low temperatures, not waterproof and so on. Although it is incredibly sharp, it is perhaps not the first choice if you want a pair of binoculars that can handle the most diverse situations to which birders can end up in.

Nikon EDG (7x42, 8x42, 10x42): Briefly, I can say that I prefer the 8x version. 7x42 has too much eye relief for me and the 10x42 does not provide the same excellent field of view as the 8x42. The EDG feels spontaneously not quite as sharp as the SLC, but even so, I often find that the resolution is equally good. The EDG also has an ability to highlight the colors in a good way..something that I think is just as important as sharpness when it comes to identifying species of birds. Large field of view, reasonably bright, comfortable focusing, good edge sharpness, great colors and a "natural image" are some things I appreciate about the EDG.

Leica Televid 82 + 25-50x: Has nothing specific to complain about in terms of optics. In general, I am not fond of small focus wheels..and especially not those of the Leica Televid 82. Strange feeling in them - just as the focus wheels on their binoculars. The field of view is very good, but the maximum magnification of 50x is too low in my opinion. A zoom that at least has a maximum magnification of 60x and a large field of view is what I desire.

Kamakura EDV-81 + 25-55x: A little to low maximum magnification and the field of view is too narrow for my taste. In all cases when the zoom is meant to be used as the only eyepiece. Kamakura has never really felt like a really good option to switch to because there are probably optically better options to choose from, I think.

Zeiss Diascope 85 + 20-75x: Nice with the high maximum magnification of 75x, but zoomed out, the edge sharpness is too bad for me to be interested in this telescope. Particularly evident is the distortion when panning. Do not like this spotting scope at all and I do not think it have the “Alpha quality”!

(Meopta Meostar S2 82 HD + 30-60x): I have not had the opportunity to try this spotting scope. I have been very interested in this model, but after receiving some interesting information from a dealer the Meopta S2 82 is no longer an alternative to Nikon ED82. According to the dealer the S2 has an impressive field of view, but unfortunately at the expense of clear distortion. I do not like the Zeiss because of the distortion, so I assume that I am not going to like Meopta S2 for the same reason.

Kowa Prominar 883 + 20-60x: Crisp and nice optics in general. Neat and relatively compact scope given the large front lens. However, I was surprised last time I tried the 883 because it showed a pretty clear yellow color cast. The 20-60x zoom is okay, but I would like to have a field of view that matches my ED82 with 30x DS. It's just to note - there are few zoom lenses that even comes close to it..

Swarovski ATS-65 HD + 25-50x: Large field of view and a small, lightweight spotting scope..but 50x is as mentioned on the low side for maximum magnification. But worst of all..I get so-called "black-outs" with this eyepiece.

Swarovski ATS-80 HD + 20-60x: A better option than the 25-50x zoom. But I am used to using a fixed 30x eyepiece with a huge field of view for 95% of the time I am birding..then it's hard to accept a much smaller field of view of a zoom that will always be used.

Swarovski ATX-85 + 25-60x: I was initially skeptical about the concept of modules, but are not as skeptical towards it nowadays. I was at first not very fond of the zoom ring ended up right next to the focus ring either, but it's probably something you get used to after a while I guess. Optically, I have really nothing to complain about. The field of view is really good and the zoom range of 25-60x is good too. But even if the field of view is really good, it is still not quite as wide as I am used to with the 30x DS. And believe it or not, but there is a difference between what you can see in detail with 75x and 60x magnification. Nikon 25-75x may have a very narrow field of view, but in return, you can sometimes see details that are not possible to see with other telescope/eyepieces!

Swarovski ATX-95 + 30-70x: I have only briefly looked through this scope. I can not really tell anything from the small test..but what I can say is that it is a bit to big. The field of view is not exactly narrow, but there is no way to achieve the same wide field of view as with 30x DS. Of the ATX models, I prefer the one above, ie ATX-85 + 25-60x.

Nikon EDG 85 + 20-60x: I tried the EDG 85 with 20-60x zoom last fall and was impressed by the contrast in it. It is nice that the zoom at least reach the 60x maximum magnification, but like many other zooms, it has a too narrow field of view for my taste. Furthermore, it does not help that the scope is large and heavy either.

Nikon ED82 + 30x DS + 50x DS + 25-75x: Very narrow field of view with the zoom, making birdwatching less pleasant than it could have been with a zoom with larger field of view. Optically, it is nothing wrong with the zoom - it has in my own comparison tests proved to be sharper than both the zoom on the Nikon EDG and the zoom on the Zeiss Diascope 85. Moreover, it has the potential to reveal more details in objects than is possible with most other combos, ie the Swarovski ATX-85. With the fixed 30x DS eyepiece this combo is almost perfect - both optically and to handle!

The gist of it all: When it comes to binoculars, it is my personal opinion that the only alternative to the Nikon EDG 8x42 is the Swarovski 8x42 SLC. When it comes to spotting scopes..I do not think there is any good alternative to my Nikon ED82 + 30x + 50x + 25-75x. The most interesting option is the Swarovski ATX-85 + 25-60x. Really good optics and a really good field of view through the entire zoom range. You become more flexible with the 25-60x zoom than when you have to change eyepieces now and then. But on the other hand..the 30x DS is almost always attached to my Nikon ED82 and then it give a larger field of view than the Swarovski combo provides. And at least as sharp, I'd say too. At appropriate times, you can use the 25-75x zoom and then get access to a really high magnification that can not be matched by the Swarovski 25-60x. When both high magnification and a wide field of view is required (eg migrating birds that fly relatively far out from the shore), the fixed 50x eyepiece can be used.

As I see it, it does not feel like a good option to replace the ED82 with three different eyepieces to any other spotting scope with zoom. Even less if you take into account that such a switch would be a rather costly affair - around 20000 SEK (2200 EUR or 3000 USD or 1700 GBP) for switching to the ATX-85.

Nor does it feel so wise to replace the Nikon EDG 8x42 against a Swarovski 8x42 SLC. But because optics are so much fun, I could imagine using both the EDG binocular and the SLC binocular in my everyday birdwatching. The EDG can be used together with the ED82, while the 8x42 SLC can be used when moving around in the field without a telescope. This is what I have come up with after all the testing of various scopes and binoculars in the recent years .. :)

Feel free to comment.. |:d|

// Jonas

Last edited:
Interesting post Jonas, thank you, always interesting to hear others views of binoculars, most of those I have not looked through. I agree about Steiner, I have looked through a couple and neither really impressed. I have the Swarovski 7x42 SLC and think it is a great binocular the only downside being it's weight.

'feel free to comment"

wow-lot of optics, lot of experience
I am a rank amateur compared to you

my only suggestion is to consider the leica duobid
it is old technology, heavy, expensive,
but my 10+15 is great when higher mag is needed
and probably better optics than the zoom binos

edj

Last edited:
I do not agree fully with your findings on the Zeiss 85TFL spotting scope.
Mine has a very wide FOV at lower powers, it is very bright and as sharp as any I have looked through . Yes there is some pincushion distortion at the edge of the FOV but it is there on purpose to eliminate globe effect when panning. I agree it could have a little less pincushion.

I have been through many premium binoculars recently looking for a perfect 8x42 and 10x42 for my needs.

I have learned that I prefer not to have sharp edges as I see rolling ball easily so the Swarovision and to a lesser effect the Nkion EDG series are not for me. The new Zeiss SF? I will be very surprised if it has no rolling ball distortion.

I have found perfection in my new 10x42 SLC and my Zeiss Victory HT 8x42. These two are a toss up as to which I like better. The view is very similar in sweet spot size,brightness ect. The Zeiss has better focus mechanics and is very slightly brighter. The SLC is more compact and cheaper. I like the ergonomics of both.

I enjoyed reading all that Jonas, the EDG 8x42 comes closest to being the "perfect" roof prism to me as well, on my previous try with the 8xslc I felt it had a lot of pin cushion, I need to give it another go.

I`m often surprised I don`t see more of the EDG when out birding, I`m sure many don`t even put it on their short list.

Scope wise I use an Optolyth S80 apo hd with 30ww and 45ww which I`v put together from used purchases, incredibly I bought the S80 with the 30ww from LCE quite recently, it had been inspected and serviced and I paid "drum roll" £185 !!!!, I`m convinced they had made a mistake on which model it was as this combo new is near 2000 euro.

Hi Jonas,

One thing I really like about your presentation is a willingness to accept the notion that several products can be great. For reasons similar to ones you've expressed, my own choice has been the 8x42 SLC-HD. However, if someone gave me a Zeiss HT, it would probably get every bit as much field time (altho regrettably not much nowadays). :t:

Ed

Seems to me we largely have the same taste!
I, too, have the ED82A with 30x, 50x and 25-75x, a couple of ED50's with 20x Wide and 27x Wide, an EDG II 7x42, an E II 8x30 and I liked the SLC-HD 8x42 a lot.
I also have the Meostar 8x32 and find it indispensible, but will probably swap for the Cabela's HD version to have a less yellow colour rendition.
The new Zeiss SF looks interesting, but I have no intention to be the guinea pig.

//L

I own the Meopta S2, and I previously owned the Kowa 884 and Nikon ED82. I had the S2 and Kowa at the same time, and spent hours comparing them side by side. In short, the S2 is every bit as crisp, clear, contrasty, and sharp as the 884, and better than the Kowa @ 60x. At 75x, when the atmosphere is cooperating, the S2 still manages to have an excellent image. The Nikon has killer glass as well, but the 25-75x variable eyepiece makes this a non contender IMO.

3 of my friends have the previous generation Zeiss 85T FL. It is obvious to me there is great sample variation between them, but even the best sample of the three cannot compete with the S2. As a matter of fact, Meopta made the Zeiss spotters for a while, to Zeiss specs of course. Meopta also made previous editions of Leica spotters as well.

You guys may find this interesting as well.
http://www.petersenshunting.com/2013/08/26/bes-spotting-scopes-of-2013/
http://www.petersenshunting.com/2013/08/26/bes-spotting-scopes-of-2013/

Last edited:
Swarovski 8,5x42 Swarovision: Crisp and nice to hold, but the phenomenon of "rolling ball" makes me seasick. Would not even want it if I had gotten it for free..

Swarovski 8x42 SLC: A very competent binocular that I do not think has some obvious flaws. This is one of the binoculars I've owned before, but unfortunately I had to give it back to the dealer because of a choppy and squeaking focus and because it leaked water so that it became fogged up on the inside.Feel free to comment.. |:d|

// Jonas

A great post Jonas .... thank you for the details.

I have no experience whatever with the Swaros, but I totally agree when it comes to rolling ball effect. Don't really know who cares about distortion, which seems to be the other side of the coin. Of course no specs (and not too many reviews) give you info about the ugly roller but I think there is a way of finding out beforehand: Go to the AllBinos review and if they complain about high distortion, likely the roller will be irrelevant. If they are enthusiastic about low distortion, the bino might make you sea-sick. At least for the two swaros quoted above this seems to be true. ..... However I don't know if its really a general rule.

Anyone knows?

Elu

Not to toast myself (but I will B :)), I pretty much started the ball rolling on the subject of "rolling ball" before Holger rolled in with his technical report and gave scientific credence to what before was anecdotal and controversial evidence. I say that with pride because I took some serious flak for it, but now RB is "mainstream," baby! :smoke:

However, if someone were to give me an 8,5x42 Swarovision for FREE, I certainly wouldn't refuse it. I would buy some Dramamine and learn to "roll" with the punches or use it for stargazing. Of course, I'm still waiting to win a ZR Prime HD, so a free SV EL is a moon shot.

Brock

Last edited:
Not to toast myself (but I will B :)), I pretty much started the ball rolling on the subject of "rolling ball" before Holger rolled in with his technical report and gave scientific credence to what before was anecdotal and controversial evidence. I say that with pride because I took some serious flak for it, but now RB is "mainstream," baby! :smoke:

However, if someone were to give me an 8,5x42 Swarovision for FREE, I certainly wouldn't refuse it. I would buy some Dramamine and learn to "roll" with the punches or use it for stargazing. Of course, I'm still waiting to win a ZR Prime ED, so a free SV EL is a moon shot.

Brock

If that is the case Brock, I'll toast you too so you don't have to do all the work yourself!

So, you are in the Zen Ray hunt too! But have you got over mathare's haiku threshold yet? I never considered myself superstitious, but now and then I think I have to cross certain obstacles (arbitrarily chosen by myself .....) to reach success. Silly, isn't it? But then I'm French, and at least in Europe we have a reputation for being irrational .... (I say we are just emotional).

To get back to the topic at last, I wouldn't refuse any bino that comes in free. But for some reason getting a free bino is about as rare as an alien spaceship landing in one's garden: it always happens to other people!

Elu

However, if someone were to give me an 8,5x42 Swarovision for FREE, I certainly wouldn't refuse it. I would buy some Dramamine and learn to "roll" with the punches or use it for stargazing. Of course, I'm still waiting to win a ZR Prime ED, so a free SV EL is a moon shot.

Brock

Careful, might get your shoulder out of joint patting yourself on the back. LOL

If that is the case Brock, I'll toast you too so you don't have to do all the work yourself!

So, you are in the Zen Ray hunt too! But have you got over mathare's haiku threshold yet? I never considered myself superstitious, but now and then I think I have to cross certain obstacles (arbitrarily chosen by myself .....) to reach success. Silly, isn't it? But then I'm French, and at least in Europe we have a reputation for being irrational .... (I say we are just emotional).

To get back to the topic at last, I wouldn't refuse any bino that comes in free. But for some reason getting a free bino is about as rare as an alien spaceship landing in one's garden: it always happens to other people!

Elu

Thank you for joining me, Elu. Since you're French, we better make that a glass of wine instead of beer. How about we throw in some brie and a loaf of French bread (which over there would be called just bread :).

I had a French student in my film production class at NYU. His name was François, can't remember his last name, but it started with a "T." He turned me on to brie. I didn't think I would like it, because it smelled like ammonia, but that was the rind. Once I scraped that off, it tasted good. I heard he went back to France and made some good films.

I have obstacles in my way every day, so success must be just around the corner!

I have a free bin I could send you but the shipping would probably cost a half as much as the bin!

Brock

The alien spaceship

Hello Brock

I thank you heartily for the free bin offer - but I'm afraid to accept it, lest the alien spaceship should arrive next! Besides, though I'm certainly not over-equipped, I have 1 pair that performs reasonably well .....

When it comes to obstacles, the idea was that of choosing one arbitrarily and then gettin over it. Something like a pseudo-religious ritual or exercise. Not very rational surely ..... but then what's rational in the whole wide world? Not much I suppose.

Elu

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back