• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood pigeons nesting (1 Viewer)

helenol

I have just noticed a wood pigeon building a nest in a bush approx. 6-7 feet from the house. It's sitting in the nest rearranging lots of twigs etc, clearly visible from the house. The nest is probably about 12 feet off the ground.

On the other side of the house, there is another woodpigeon flying into a thicker bush with twigs etc, - been doing this for the last couple of days - obviously building a nest there! This nest is not visible, as it is deep in the middle of the bush.

Question is, how many times do these birds breed during the year?

Can I expect lots of juvenile woodpigeons around my house in the next few weeks? :eek!:

Hi Helen,

not sure but I think they can breed 2 or 3 times a year and 2 eggs/chicks per brood are most common-but lots of breeding attempts are destroyed by bad weather or predators.
so you probably won´t get a real wood pigeon problem....

Jörn

Hi Helen, mostly they breed from april-August, but will carry on till late in the year, so you could end up with some youngsters about, see how it develops.
bert.

Helen - I've neen pondering on this one for a few days, and getting conflicting information usually. However, Mike Toms in the BTO/CJ Garden BirdWatch Book, published quite recently says: "The breeding season is very long, with eggs having been found in every month of the year, although the main period of activity is over by the end of September".

Dominic Couzens, in his new book says "The month of July marks the start of the woodpigeon's main breeding season".

At least there seems to be some agreement on three broods per year!

Last edited:
Ahh, yes. The wood pigeons. Lots of twittering going on in the bush. At a guess, I would say they hatched 3 or 4 days ago, and are making their presence known by the noise! Still, very cute though.

Oh dear, I guess I misjudged when they hatched. Last couple of days I have been watching the juv being fed. Went out this morning, and there it was on the branch being fed by the adult.

However, this afternoon, I noticed quite a few feathers lying around, albeit very small dark feathers. Didn't see any of the larger feathers. I've not seen the juv since, :-Calthough the adult sits on the same branch from time to time.

Attachments

• woodpig.jpg
    woodpig.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,254
Now there's an idea for a new thread , " How many birds have died in your garden this year " I bet Helen would win hands down ;)

Ashley ( Only joking Helen ! )

Ash, you're not going to believe this. Guess what, Another one yesterday!!!! In exactly the same spot as the dunnock the other week!

I'm moving outta here ;)

Now you know why the house was so cheap ;) Have you looked under the patio yet ? you never know what you might find .......On the same note but seriously , what do you think is causing all the carnage , predator wise ? It seems to like both small and large birds , Sprawk maybe ......

Ashley

A few are window strikes, I've placed some silhouettes on them, but still had two kills so far. I know Madame sparrowhawk pays a visit on occasion too. The NT warden also told me of the sparrowhawk in the woods, which I am assuming is the one who visits my part of the woods too.

Well, the juvenile I thought was dinner for Mrs Sparrowhawk turned up the next day on the same branch.

Today I noticed another juvenile, so they are obviously doing rather well at the moment. They really are ugly buggers though aren't they!

Also spotted another wood pigeon today collecting twigs.

Is there no end to their breeding?!

Attachments

• juvwoodpig2.jpg
    juvwoodpig2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 873
Hi Helen,
Sorry if this is a bit delayed in posting, been out of the country -

I believe you will find that the reason pigeons can breed over such a long period in the year is that they feed their young on 'Pigeons Milk', the semi-digested food from the crop. So, provided the parent/s can find food they can breed.

"Today I noticed another juvenile, so they are obviously doing rather well at the moment. They really are ugly buggers though aren't they!"

But their mum and dad love them!

Cheers, Mike

Wood Pigeons, along with all other birds with any brains to speak of, are flocking up and migrating south. The big exodus is on - certainly not going to get late nesting up here ...result would be 'ready-frozen pigeonlets'!!! :)

In relation to your window strikes, do you have a mirror reflecting the outside? The birds may think that your room is a route through to the other side.

Dave

dvc214 said:
In relation to your window strikes, do you have a mirror reflecting the outside? The birds may think that your room is a route through to the other side.
Hi Dave, sorry for the late reply, somehow the last couple of posts slipped through. No, I don't have a mirror. I do have lots of trees in close proximity to the house though. There hasn't been any strikes for a while (touch wood).

Quick question - How long does it take before the white neck patch appears on a juvenile?

helenol said:
Quick question - How long does it take before the white neck patch appears on a juvenile?

Hi Helen,

Can't give a time-specific answer I'm afraid, only that the white neck and wing markings appear with the first moult.

Regards,

Anthony

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back