• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (45 Viewers)

A successful Autumn All-Dayer progressed September's month list to 97. Still outstanding are Common Gull, Med Gull (despite Gert's best attempts ;)), Mistle Thrush, Oystercatcher, LRP, Shelduck, Little Owl, Redstart, Spotted Flycatcher or Yellowhammer.

A great effort yesterday, I don't know what our highest total in autumn is but , this total must be up there.

Oh and for Phil Dave and those interested this was my bird of the month. :t:

Attachments

• hb 1 DSCF8439 (2).JPG
    hb 1 DSCF8439 (2).JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 178
CURLEW SANDPIPER Calidris ferruginea

With all the exciment of the All-Dayer I havent had an opportunity to post the history of Curlew Sandpiper at Upton Warren:-

First reported as a group of three birds on the 20th August 1964, this scarce and irregular autumn passage visitor uses Upton Warren as a half-way house during its massive migration arc from its breeding grounds in the Siberian arctic to its wintering sub-Saharan African wetlands. There have now been 41 records of Curlew Sandpiper at Upton Warren, with 14 of those records involving multiple occurrences (often with numbers building up over several days). The vast majority of records relate to juvenile birds. Most Curlew Sandpiper stay for just a day or two but there have been records of longer staying individuals; two juveniles at the Flashes remained from the 15th to 26th September 2007 whilst one bird was present 27 days in 1970 (2nd to 28th September).

A maximum count of nine birds was present on the 13th September 1988, although on the 26th August 2000 one bird present took off to join an over-flying flock of waders that contained 15 Curlew Sandpiper that had previously been seen at Bittell Reservoir to produce a flock of 16 birds (ignored in the above chart). However, in recent years the species has become less than annual at Upton Warren in line with the trend across the West Midlands region. Records at Upton Warren are usually in line with marked national and local influxes that can result in a sustained presence involving different birds over some period of time. In 1988 the species was present between the 30th August and 15th September with multiple occurrences from the 3rd, peaking at nine birds on the 13th September whilst in 1996 Curlew Sandpiper was present for twenty consecutive days between 14th September and 3rd October (peaking at three birds and involving at least five individuals), closely associating with the record numbers of Little Stint present on the reserve at the same time.

Curlew Sandpiper has a very marked autumn passage at Upton Warren and has just three spring records - a single bird moulting into summer plumage was present at the Flashes on the 27th to 28th May 1993 (accompanied by a Little Stint), a winter plumaged bird was present at the Flashes on the 20th to 22nd April 2008 whilst an adult approaching full summer plumage was at the Flashes on the 4th and 5th June 2009 . This is in accordance with the national position, as birds take a more direct easterly route on migration through Europe to Siberia in the spring. September is the optimum time to observe Curlew Sandpiper at Upton Warren, with over 60% of all the reserve’s sightings falling in this month. The latest bird recorded was one seen on the 9th October in 2008. There have been a number of records of partially summer plumaged adults but on the 23rd July 1990 a full summer plumaged adult bird came down on to the Flashes in the early evening. Whilst fewer blank years are recorded than in the early 1980s, the reserve is no longer attracting the small flocks it used to.

In August 1970 a Curlew Sandpiper flew into the barbed wire that used to be strung between the fence posts in the water at the Flashes. With its resulting damaged wing the bird lingered well into September before finally succumbing to its injuries. However Upton Warren remains Worcestershire’s most frequently visited site for Curlew Sandpiper, followed by Bittell Reservoir.

Attachments

• Curlew Sand.jpg
    Curlew Sand.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 64
  • CS Distribution.jpg
    CS Distribution.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Please see a revised summary that now includes a breakdown of Venus Pool's 78 species (thanks for the list Tom :t:).

The total of 110 species across five sites shows that the Midlands isnt as "denuded" of birds as some would like to make out.

Phil what program is the attachment. I can't open the list.B :)John

It got a bit damp at The Moors around 5 o'clock!
1 Even the birds took shelter
2 The squirrel sheltered and had an early tea
3 the Little Grebe decided to sleep it off

Attachments

• 09-08-2013_170611(2).jpg
    09-08-2013_170611(2).jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 09-08-2013_170235(1b).jpg
    09-08-2013_170235(1b).jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 09-08-2013_171424(3).jpg
    09-08-2013_171424(3).jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 75
Hi all,

A couple of photos from the Flashes this PM.

1, Curlew
2, Ruff
3,Stock Dove

Chris :t:

Attachments

• curl 2 a.jpg
    curl 2 a.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 98
  • ruff 1a.JPG
    ruff 1a.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 107
  • stock 1a.JPG
    stock 1a.JPG
    430.6 KB · Views: 93
Record shot of this morning's Wheatear in the rain:

I also saw 2 Garden Warblers today - one by the flashes feeding station and another along the east track on the moors.

Chris T also saw a Spotted Flyc'r on the flashes.

2 Ruff still present - flying back and forth to the fields.

Attachments

• Wheatear Flashes 090913.JPG
    Wheatear Flashes 090913.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 131

I also saw 2 Garden Warblers today - one by the flashes feeding station and another along the east track on the moors.

I wonder if the Wheatear is the Stoke Heath bird seen on Saturday?

Des.

A bit more than a record shot Dave..
Tomorrow there isn't a work party. As I was away for the 'All-dayer' , I aim to do one tomorrow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back