• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carsington Water bird feeders (1 Viewer)

Clive Watson

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit ampheta
Quick couple of questions regarding the Carsington Water bird feeders from someone who's never been - are they any good at this time of year? And can the birds be photographed OK using a 400mm lens?

Quick couple of questions regarding the Carsington Water bird feeders from someone who's never been - are they any good at this time of year? And can the birds be photographed OK using a 400mm lens?

Yes at the Wild-life Centre they are OK for photographs.

Tip- Open the window at the end of the Centre. ;)

There are also feeders at Paul Stanley Hide, off the Sheepwash Car-park. :t:

I have been to both today.

Yay, a reply!

Thanks Brian. I went to the wildlife centre and saw the feeders, but I didn't realise it was possible to open the windows. It was very late in the day by then and I only stopped briefly.

The bird table in the Sheepwash car park looked the most promising to me - once the leaves have gone, it looks like it might be possible to sit at the picnic table and get some shots of the birds in the trees coming and going. Lots of bird food on the table when I was there but no birds.

It's a moot point now anyway as my trip to Derbyshire was a month ago. But this info could be useful if I get back up there, or maybe someone else might benefit. Anyway thanks again Brian.

Clive

Yay, a reply!

Thanks Brian. I went to the wildlife centre and saw the feeders, but I didn't realise it was possible to open the windows. It was very late in the day by then and I only stopped briefly.

The bird table in the Sheepwash car park looked the most promising to me - once the leaves have gone, it looks like it might be possible to sit at the picnic table and get some shots of the birds in the trees coming and going. Lots of bird food on the table when I was there but no birds.

It's a moot point now anyway as my trip to Derbyshire was a month ago. But this info could be useful if I get back up there, or maybe someone else might benefit. Anyway thanks again Brian.

Clive

Sorry I missed this earlier then Clive.

Just to add to my previous reply for future use of any members.

Birds seen at: -

Wildlife feeders. -- Tree Sparrows (Worth visiting just for these), Blue Tit, Great Tit, Nuthatch, Coal Tit, Marsh Tit, etc

Paul Stanley Hide feeders: -- Siskin, Long-tailed Tit, Nuthatch, Robin, Willow Tit, Pheasant, Tree Creeper ( if very lucky on adjacent trees), Kingfisher seen from Hide regularly. etc

The feeder in the Sheepwash Car-park is not used too much as lots of people and cars moving about, so I have only seen the odd Pheasant about.

Lets hope you come back soon. :t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back