• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

H is for Hawk: A New Chapter (1 Viewer)

Before I say anything else, let me be clear that, in my opinion, Helen MacDonald has a great knowledge of nature and an active interest in nature conservation. I have heard her speak and I own a signed copy of her book. However, there were two things in this programme that I was concerned about.

Firstly, in Helen’s spell watching ‘free’ Goshawks, she repeated a couple of times statements that, to a very large extent, Goshawks in the wild today in Britain are a result or a by-product of ‘falconry’. “Buy one, set one free” was one comment she made. Though there may be some truth in this, I think it wrong to infer that falconry is a necessary and sufficient cause for the re-establishment of a bird of prey. Think Red Kite. Think White-tailed Sea Eagle. Her statements appeared as an attempt to defend falconry and to help secure her place her within the realm of ‘nature writers’.

Secondly, it concerns me that the programme made falconry/hawk-rearing seem very rewarding and quite wonderful. Her experiences with her previous Goshawk (Mabel) featured in her book and, to a large extent, the narrative was of a ‘nature cure’. Her second Goshawk (Lupin) featured in this TV programme and this time the narrative was more of wonder, and reward, and joy. If an unintended consequences of these narratives is to convince others (however naively) that acquiring and attempting to raise a Goshawk would be a good idea – either for a ‘nature cure’ or for wonderful enjoyment – then there are problems. If the activity gains popularity, there will, amongst other things, be problems of sourcing. Yes, the activity is licensed, but if there is a demand, illegal sources and trades will emerge, or there will be nest-raiding. Keeping a Goshawk (or any other bird of prey) is unsustainable as a ‘popular’ legal and harmless activity. I think it would be more than helpful if programmes such as this provided more by way of responsible contextualisation.

Stewart

Firstly, in Helen’s spell watching ‘free’ Goshawks, she repeated a couple of times statements that, to a very large extent, Goshawks in the wild today in Britain are a result or a by-product of ‘falconry’. “Buy one, set one free” was one comment she made.

That jumped right out at me too. She made that claim early on in the 60 minute program. Not begrudging her grief, her search for meaning continued on from there. Emoting was the underline theme that seem to take up most of those 60 minutes, a cathartic cleansing so to speak. IMO.

Just like to point out that someone with a Goshawk isn't a falconer. They are an austringer. If that matters....

After I read the blurb on the programme I decided that I didn't want to give it legitimacy by watching it.

John

Just like to point out that someone with a Goshawk isn't a falconer. They are an austringer. If that matters....

After I read the blurb on the programme I decided that I didn't want to give it legitimacy by watching it.

John

Thanks for correction John. I'd forgotten the correct term - probably because falconry and austringy (spelling?) are activities I have huge misgivings about and wouldn't partake in myself. I think that I was aware of my ignorance of terminology, so hedged my bets with inverted commas and words like "/ hawk- rearing". Anyway, I feel my comments (about the programme and the activity - not Helen MacDonald personally) still apply.

Stewart

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back