• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (32 Viewers)

owl pellet

This was found on a post next to East hide.
I have never taken one apart before, so soaked in a container of water. I then gently picked at it.
Any ideas what owl - apparently you can ID by shape colour.
any guesses as to mammal species.
B :)John

Attachments

• 1 pellet6843 (2).JPG
    1 pellet6843 (2).JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 2. bones6847 (2).JPG
    2. bones6847 (2).JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 76
  • more bones6857 (2).JPG
    more bones6857 (2).JPG
    350.5 KB · Views: 81
  • skull oflarger animal6850 (2).JPG
    skull oflarger animal6850 (2).JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 84
I have never taken one apart before, so soaked in a container of water. I then gently picked at it.

Just found this guide to Owl Pellet ID:

"WHAT TO LOOK FOR

Tawny owls
•Tawny owl pellets are grey, cylindrical, around 6cmx3cm with somewhat pointed ends. Often found at the base of conifer trees used for roosting.
•Often contain bird remains in suburban areas.

Long- and short-eared owls
•In winter, long-eared owls roost in trees (often conifers) and close to the ground in bushes. Pellets are pale or dark grey, thin and elongate up to 7.5cm x 3cm, rounded at one or both ends.
•Short-eared owls roost on the ground and produce very similar pellets.

Barn owls
•Barn owl pellets are generally found at roost sites in buildings and are characteristically rounded or cylindrical, about 5cmx3cm, with a smooth surface covered with blackish-grey crust.
•The barn owl is the owl most likely to eat shrews.

Little owls
•Little owl pellets are mostly found in buildings and hollow trees.
•They are very small, up to 2.5cmx1.5cm, rounded at one end and pointed at the other.
•In summer, they largely contain insect remains, so may appear blue-black from the beetle elytra (the hardened outer wings).
•In winter, pellets are grey and contain the remains of mice and small birds."

all the bones look like voles (skulls, jaws and hip bones),

i'd guess at least two species, with the larger bones from water vole

jon

Last edited:

John

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/british-wildlife/how-identify-owl-pellets

With the info here and at other skull ID sites, I've decided that these are Little Owl pellets and the smaller skull is that of a Muntjac! ;) I got more and more confused the deeper I read! I suspect PC will know though... B :)

Despite our somewhat differing solutions, I suspect that Dave's text came from the site to which I linked.
I also suspect that he may be somewhat more serious as to the proper ID of the miscreant and its staple diet!

Nice one :t:

From my " Tracks and Signs of the Birds of Britain and Europe " (an excellent book) I am going with Barn Owl pellet.

Attended a talk on Water Shrews the other day, apparently the 3 mainland species ( Pygmy,Water, and Common ) are also called "Red toothed Shrews " as the tips of the teeth are red, clearly seen on skull samples, due to a high Iron content.
Any evidence of Water Shrew would be especially interesting, as the Trust is currently trying to establish the prevalence within the county.
Cannot see any red on these

Last edited:
a few more pics from today

Alan and friend from today on the reserve

thanks to lesser kestrel paul for the heads up on the smew from bittell much apreciated pal:eek!::t:

Attachments

• 4444444.jpg
    4444444.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 5555555.jpg
    5555555.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 112
  • 666666.jpg
    666666.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 7777777.jpg
    7777777.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Visited the Flashes late on. Between 16:40 and 17:40 there were 16 curlew, 9 avocets, 4 oystercatchers (flying between transmitter field and the far side of the Flashes opposite the hide) and the little ringed plover. It was incredibly quiet with hardly any gulls at all (2BHG, 1 LBBG and a few more BHGs circling but not landing). 3 shelducks, a few teal and mallard.

Mike

Today's highlights: The Moors was 90% frozen for some time and one of the Bitterns showed fairly well from the east hide in the northern reed bed, whilst a second bird could be seen from the west hide in the eastern reeds/trees. The third bird was reported to fly from right of the west hide to reedmace not too far left of the west hide. It was not seen to fly from this location right upto 18.45--quite dark.

The Med Gull was first located at the Flashes during the early afternoon, but did not stay long. It was relocated early evening before flying off again, only to be relocated on the Sailing Pool.

MOORS:
Barn Owl------------------------Bittern (3)
Med Gull (Ad)-------------------Shelduck(2)
Snipe (8)------------------------Oystercatcher (min 5, but possibly 8 across the reserve)
Shoveler (7)--------------------Pochard (12)
Gadwall(4)----------------------Wigeon(f)
Tufted Duck(47)----------------Teal (8)
Cetti's Warbler

FLASHES/SAILING POOL:
Avocet (9)----------------------LRP
Curlew (14)--------------------Common Gull (Ad)
Shelduck-----------------------Teal(46)
B H Gull (c160)

Des.

Nice one :t:

From my " Tracks and Signs of the Birds of Britain and Europe " (an excellent book) I am going with Barn Owl pellet.

Attended a talk on Water Shrews the other day, apparently the 3 mainland species ( Pygmy,Water, and Common ) are also called "Red toothed Shrews " as the tips of the teeth are red, clearly seen on skull samples, due to a high Iron content.
Any evidence of Water Shrew would be especially interesting, as the Trust is currently trying to establish the prevalence within the county.
Cannot see any red on these

Mark,

I have personally recorded Water Shrew three times at UW. The last one was sadly found dead on the east track. I photographed it, posted it on this forum and sent the photo to the Trust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back