• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Too Many Nest Boxes? (1 Viewer)

B34N

Can one have too many nest boxes?

We live in central NJ and our property is >3 acres and 1/3 of it borders woodland areas. We currently have 6 nest boxes and are considering adding a 7th. One is a screech owl/kestrel box (Stovall 6H) along the treeline in the very back of the yard. Two are eastern blue bird boxes about 150' apart in a ~ 1 acre wildflower and native grass meadow also in the rear of the yard. Another two eastern bluebird boxes (Stovall 2HU) are about 150' apart in the front of the yard. One is in a smaller ~2000 sq/ft meadow and the other is under a large silver maple among native landscaping. The last is a smaller Stovall CS3 against the front of the house among native landscaping. The 7th planned box would also go in the front of the yard but among a 750 sq/ft rain garden area. Most of the current boxes fast East but the one faces North.

I understand that bluebirds don't like to nest near other bluebirds. All boxes but the two in the rear meadow were installed last summer too late in the season. The meadow boxes always attract bluebirds and swallows. Because I installed the others so late in the year, the only thing to make use of the front boxes was a house wren who made nests in all three. Nothing has been in the kestrel/screech owl box yet.

Do we already have too many boxes or is there a benefit to installing more? Each box is in its own little habitat.

Thank you,
B34N

Keep adding. Different sizes and locales - you'll know you've got too many when some are left empty!
Mick

Can never have too many nestboxes I have 2 I used to have 3 it was a Sparrow box but got slightly damaged.

Thank you for the responses. Last weekend I updated my two blue bird boxes in the main meadow and moved the two old ones to a meadow area along the side of the yard where I mounted them back to back facing north/south on one post. I have a smaller nest box on the way that I will mount on a post in my soon to be installed rain garden.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back