• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

Anyone know who the infocus person is who often comes down to Upton is and a way of getting in contact with him? Also when he'll next be at Upton?

Hi Tim,

It's one of the guys (Keith Mortimer?) from Slimbridge as far as I know, so you could ring the shop and ask when they're next due. What are you after?

Cheers
Mike

John, if the duck numbers reached their winter low point yesterday, today the graph shows an upward, if modest, trend.

Considering the ice wasn't a major issue yesterday, it is strange why they are coming and going like this,. The grazer has taken the cattle out so no disturbance there. I would like to know where they are going to. I am sure the weather and the autumn droubt at the Flashes are important factors.

Impressive results by the Tuesday work party John.

Des.
Des I am sure all the positive comments from everyone makes it even more worthwhile and rewarding for the Tuesday crew.:t:

Popped into the Moors after a visit to Pirton to see the beauty Bewicks (sorry Mark).
One Pochard present, 80 ish Lapwing, 7 Snipe and good numbers of Teal . Also Tufties and Shoveler. 12 Redpoll in the plantation on the North Moors. All in all very spring like. Incredible when you think last year I had to walk to UW along a grid locked A38 through a foot of snow!

Popped into the Moors after a visit to Pirton to see the beauty Bewicks (sorry Mark).
One Pochard present, 80 ish Lapwing, 7 Snipe and good numbers of Teal . Also Tufties and Shoveler. 12 Redpoll in the plantation on the North Moors. All in all very spring like. Incredible when you think last year I had to walk to UW along a grid locked A38 through a foot of snow!

and broke your key in the lock8-P:t:

Could you have flushed the Bewicks towards Upton; probably the biggest hole in my Upton list alongside Short-eared Owl.

sorry to dampen the Christmas spirit but take a couple of minutes to read and hopefully react to the links below.:-C

http://www.komitee.de/en/actions-and-projects/italy/massacre-colle-san-zeno
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2314591#post2314591

:eek!:john

Guy found the following related stuff regarding what is going on in Cyprus which is just as disturbing, plus a petition to sign (which might help):

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/call-for-action-against-illegal-bird-trapping-in-cyprus.html

Cheers,

Si

To all the regulars at UW, I would just like to say thankyou for making my first year of birding there so enjoyable. You are without doubt the best group of birders in the country.

Without you guys I would not have seen so many wonderful new birds, special thanks go to Dave W (Woodchat), John B (Upstarts), Mark S (Woodwolf) and Gert, all top blokes who have helped me tremendously this year.

I wish you all a merry xmas and heres to another top birding year in 2012.B :)

P.S. Don't you dare tie me to a raft 8-P

Fabulous morning down the Moors East hide earlier today. Good craic and great company - thanks everyone!
Before I forget, I was astounded by the amount and quality of the work that has been carried out at the Moors by the Tuesday crew. Simply magnificent - take next Tuesday off! B :)
I took a few pictures of the more common or garden species today as the light was rubbish I concentrated on the larger species... here are four.
A very early morning abortive take off by a Mute Swan on the North Moors. I noticed that it had been joined by its mate later.
One of a poor bunch of Snipe photos.
A BHG - yes things had got that bad!
And a slightly surreal sight of a Grey Heron perched on the depth marker in the North Moors... quite pleased with this one.

Attachments

• MS.jpg
    MS.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Snipe.jpg
    Snipe.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 77
  • BHG.jpg
    BHG.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Heron.jpg
    Heron.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 63
To all the regulars at UW, I would just like to say thankyou for making my first year of birding there so enjoyable. You are without doubt the best group of birders in the country.

Without you guys I would not have seen so many wonderful new birds, special thanks go to Dave W (Woodchat), John B (Upstarts), Mark S (Woodwolf) and Gert, all top blokes who have helped me tremendously this year.

I wish you all a merry xmas and heres to another top birding year in 2012.B :)

P.S. Don't you dare tie me to a raft 8-P

We wouldn't do that Gav, you will be the raft.8-P

conversley its been great to welcome so many new lads and lassies both on the Work Parties and birding/photographing on the reserve:t: long may it continue to attract a wide range of people, who quickly find an affinity with the place.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL THE WORK PARTY CREW all 50 ODD OF US both at the Moors and Flashes. And also all the Birders and photographers that visit the reserve.
Next years Christmas party could well be in the new Flashes hide (if it's built by then :-O)
Thanks to Gert for organising today's event.:t:
B :)John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back