• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (10 Viewers)

Went do late afternoon, highlights were: Arctic Tern on Sailing Pool, Whitethroat to right of Avocet Hide and around 3 Reed Warbler in reeds in front of the New Hide.

Chris

Early evening at the Moors -

male yellow wagtail on the - now what's it called - I need Rob's map - the area before the channel where the lapwing's been sitting near the Broadmeadow pool.
Arctic tern, 2 common sandpipers and 2 LRPs, 1 lapwing, pr gadwall on North Moors pool, 2 swifts quickly over the same area, c.100-150 hirundines.
46 species just at The Moors and didn't see a crow.

Now to bed early - Spurn tomorow. ATB - UTV |=o|

How many of you are going because I will more than likely have two spare seats for the trip. I live in Coventry, not far from the M69 and we will be leaving at 3am. I could do with filling those seats if possible.

John

Early evening at the Moors -

male yellow wagtail on the - now what's it called - I need Rob's map - the area before the channel where the lapwing's been sitting near the Broadmeadow pool.
Arctic tern, 2 common sandpipers and 2 LRPs, 1 lapwing, pr gadwall on North Moors pool, 2 swifts quickly over the same area, c.100-150 hirundines.
46 species just at The Moors and didn't see a crow.

Now to bed early - Spurn tomorow. ATB - UTV |=o|

Hi John - I take it these are total numbers rather than singing males?

PS Who had the Arctic Tern today?

Singing birds apart from 1 willow warbler and 2 female whitethroats.
Lots of us saw the arctic it was around most of the day. I did hear there was a common but I didn't see it. Yellow wag this evening at Moors - Gazza, who also saw Garden W at North Moors.
Are you down tomorrow, I will be at Flashes 1st light.B :)

Singing birds apart from 1 willow warbler and 2 female whitethroats.
Lots of us saw the arctic it was around most of the day. I did hear there was a common but I didn't see it. Yellow wag this evening at Moors - Gazza, who also saw Garden W at North Moors.
Are you down tomorrow, I will be at Flashes 1st light.B :)

Will try to be down as early as poss but still feeling the effects of a post-work trip to Spurn y'day. How much closer is Dave J to 100 for the (9 day) week; must have added at least 2 today (Garden W and Wood Sand).

The flurry of new sightings in the last two days (Whinchat, Greenshank, Wood Sand, Garden Warbler and Sanderling) takes the year list to 134 and the April's total to 117.

I would be surprised if we have ever had such a productive month and there are still four days to go to unearth something extra (we still have yet to record an owl in April!).

John has already alluded to how Warblertastic the place was today. I was there for 5 hours (getting soaked three times) and never ventured any further from the car park than the North Moors and Secret Garden. Others appear to have had better success than me, but they deserve it having put far more time in recently than I have. Vern has some nice Garden Warbler shots too - I never connected with it.

Attachments

• 2013-04-26 11-48-55 Female Blackbird_resize.jpg
    2013-04-26 11-48-55 Female Blackbird_resize.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 2013-04-26 12-22-16 Willow Warbler_resize.jpg
    2013-04-26 12-22-16 Willow Warbler_resize.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 2013-04-26 14-06-06 Whitethroat_resize.jpg
    2013-04-26 14-06-06 Whitethroat_resize.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 2013-04-26 15-14-56 Male Blackcap_resize.jpg
    2013-04-26 15-14-56 Male Blackcap_resize.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Sorry to be serious - but read this

All

Off topic but I would like to highlight something that was flagged earlier today on Irish Bird Network - 1000's of migratory birds are being netted and slaughtered in fishing nets in an almost 700 kilometer stretch of North African coastline. Mostly Shrikes but obviously lots of other stuff. It is desperately sad, disturbing and shocking to see. Please follow the link and sign the e-petition.

http://www.nabu.de/tiereundpflanzen/...ten/15708.html

taken off Norfolk thread:-CJohn

All

Off topic but I would like to highlight something that was flagged earlier today on Irish Bird Network - 1000's of migratory birds are being netted and slaughtered in fishing nets in an almost 700 kilometer stretch of North African coastline. Mostly Shrikes but obviously lots of other stuff. It is desperately sad, disturbing and shocking to see. Please follow the link and sign the e-petition.

http://www.nabu.de/tiereundpflanzen/...ten/15708.html

taken off Norfolk thread:-CJohn

Sprechen sie Deutsch? This is the link to the actual page: http://www.nabu.de/tiereundpflanzen/voegel/zugvoegel/jagd/aegypten/15708.html

Last edited:
Joining the party, a couple from me today. Record shot of the tern just before I left.

Attachments

• IMG_5755b.jpg
    IMG_5755b.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5757b.jpg
    IMG_5757b.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5767b.jpg
    IMG_5767b.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5770b.jpg
    IMG_5770b.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5792b.jpg
    IMG_5792b.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 133
what a great day today. only a couple of pics from today as so many wonderful pics have been put on already great stuff guys.:t:

whitethroat
Water rail

Attachments

• Whitethroat UW _4773.jpg
    Whitethroat UW _4773.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 148
  • water rail uw _4743.jpg
    water rail uw _4743.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Early morning update from JTB at the Flashes:

5 Black-tailed Godwit (still!), Oystercatcher killed by a fox on the public footpath, probable male Redstart in hedge in transmitter field, Curlew, 3 Common Sandpiper. Grasshopper Warbler on east side of Moors Pool as per Spoonbill Finder.

Had an early start this morning, arriving at the Sailing Pool car park at 4:40. The full moon meant that the circumnavigation of the Sailing Pool was dead easy, but that intruder light and taped recording always gets me! There was only evidence of Mallards and BHGs on the water itself but the first few chords of the dawn chorus were struck by a Blackbird and a Song Thrush as I approached the Flashes steps, then as I walked under the hawthorn arch a Robin joined in from what sounded like only inches above my head!
The remainder of the transit to the Avocet hide was fantastically enjoyable as more and more species began their constitutional accompaniment. I stopped off briefly to take a shot or two of the full moon and eventually reached the still-vacant main hide. The moonlight allowed the recognition of several species and by the time John joined me I'd got eleven Avocets, ~300 BHG, four Blackwits, an Oystercatcher and a Common Sandpiper. As the light improved so did our outlook on the Season as one after one species would appear in apparent pairs and differing levels of behaviour suggestive of things to come later in the Spring became apparent.
At some point around 0730 John drew my attention to an Oystercatcher beginning to scrape a hollow on one of the shingle islands. One thing after another pointed towards a promising breeding season. With hindsight you just knew it was all too good to be true.
Here are some pictures taken with our spirits well and truly elevated.
Firefox doesn't want me to attach any photos (I wonder why), so I'll post this text now and edit it to add pictures using another browser...

Attachments

• 2013-04-27 05-01-39_Moon.jpg
    2013-04-27 05-01-39_Moon.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 2013-04-27 05-49-44 Curlew 2.jpg
    2013-04-27 05-49-44 Curlew 2.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 2013-04-27 06-12-10 Whitethroat.jpg
    2013-04-27 06-12-10 Whitethroat.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 2013-04-27 07-02-14 Shelduck.jpg
    2013-04-27 07-02-14 Shelduck.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 2013-04-27 05-49-44 Curlew 1.jpg
    2013-04-27 05-49-44 Curlew 1.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
As you know from Phil's earlier post, we lost one of the pair of Oystercatchers this morning. Only 17 minutes after watching one of them scraping out a nest site, a bird was taken outside the reserve on a public footpath by one of the local foxes. We think it had chosen the muddy footpath as a site for worms etc. I heard an alarm call and saw the bird struggling to get through the fence and then the source of its anxiety became apparent as a fox lunged on it. Despite our efforts to distract the fox I'm afraid it very soon after the initial attack trotted off with its kill. Our earlier lofty moods were plunged into dispair and sadness. Yes, it's nature I realise that, but it seems somewhat ironic that despite our constant efforts to patch up the fox proof fence, one of our scarcer waders can perish in front of us on immediately adjoining public land.
The linnets eventually turned up after we had both commented on their apparent absence. We were joined by Vern later in the morning who had put in a full shift on the Moors before coming over - always a pleasure to spend some time in the company of characters!

Attachments

• Fox Oyc 1.jpg
    Fox Oyc 1.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Fox Oyc 2.jpg
    Fox Oyc 2.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 2013-04-27 08-21-10 Linnet.jpg
    2013-04-27 08-21-10 Linnet.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 2013-04-27 08-21-10 Linnet 2.jpg
    2013-04-27 08-21-10 Linnet 2.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
5am till 11.30am at the freezer

Today started frosty 3 degees and got colder. NE - N force 3/4 sunny mostly then a brief shower at 11.15.
Flashes
Not a bad day, but no obvious migration. The morning being marred by the loss of one of the pair of Oystercatchers. Strangely it fed on the public footpath, then we heard a commotion and a fox had grabbed it, on the outside of the 'fox fence'. Its mate was unaware and called a few times went off to the Moors and came back with 2 others. Maybe they came over to help look for her mate :-C. I don't know, one week you rescue a family of young foxes and this is how they repay you:eek!:.
Species count at Flashes:
Mute swan 2 prs,Teal fem, gadwall pr, shoveler pr, shelduck 3, mallard 2 broods of 13 and 11.tufted 10, coot 10, avocet 25, oystercatcher 3 max, curlew 2, common sand 2, LRP 4. Blackwit 5, BHG c150, herring gull, LBBG 4, buzzard 2, green woodp, great sp woodp, stock dove 10+, swallow 10, whitethroat 2 males, willow warbler, chiffchaff 3, sedge warbler 5, reed warbler 2, blackcap 4, goldcrest singing, redstart a distant bird in the dell, linnet 2, starling a lone bird,

Species count at Moors:
GCG 6, little grebe 3, shoveler 2 males, shelduck pr (poss from Flashes), gadwall pr, oystercatcher 4, common sand 3, lapwing pr, snipe, herring gull, Arctic tern, stock dove, collared dove, good numbers of chiffchaffs, at least 2 willow warblers singing, sedge warbler 6 from secret garden to east hide, reed warbler 3 or 4 east side, cettis, redpoll 4, 100 or so of all 3 hirundines, song thrush 2 singing,
B :)John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back