• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

celestron onyx (1 Viewer)

There is a highly technical review of this scope in German here:

http://www.astro-foren.de/showthread.php?t=7887

This particular specimen has defective optics, mainly from astigmatism and miscollimation. The important numbers are peak to valley wave front error of only a little better than 1/2 wave, RMS 1/16 wave and a strehl ratio of .86. Pretty miserable for a scope of this type. Some other specimens are probably better, some could be worse.

I'm afraid that's the problem with telescopes, especially inexpensive ones. The quality is highly variable from one sample to another.

Last edited:
Dave I have one of the these C80ED, very nice scope. Not light weight and not short.I also have a WP 60mm Nikon 60mm Fieldscope.I use a mirror diagonal/reversed image with the 80ED, I have had this scope up to 100x during the daytime looking for CA and could not see any Chromatic Aberrations.

http://www.adorama.com/CN80ED.html

Steve

Last edited:
The trick to buying any scope is to make sure you don't wind up with a bad specimen. An "average" example of this scope would probably be a very good, but large and heavy spotting scope. If you don't already have them you will still need an erecting prism or mirror and an eyepiece. Be sure to avoid the low grade 45 degree Schmidt prisms (like the one attached to the C80ED in the Adorama link). Those ruin the image quality of any scope. Stick with a mirror diagonal like Steve uses or a diagonal prism (which may actually slightly improve the optics of a scope like this). Right and left will be reversed, but that's better than a poor image.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back