• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you use IS with the larger 500-600mm lenses? (1 Viewer)

CCRII

I noticed that in my 100-400L lens it says you cannot use IS when the unit is tripod mounted. Is this true of the 500-600mm prime lenses? If so then what is the point in having it in these lenses since you really cannot handhold these lenses?

Thanks.

Don't quite get this. The IS controls are completely independent of the tripod mount, which it just a piece of metal with no electronic components. I use IS on my 600 f4 all the time, whether tripod mounted or resting on a beanbag (it's too big for hand holding!) I don't have a 100-400 though, this must be something I'm not aware of. I can't help thinking you've got the wrong end of the stick somewhere. No doubt someone more experienced will be able to give you a better explanation.

The 100-400 has an older version of Canon's IS and can get itself in a 'loop' as it tries to correct the vibrations introduced by the IS motors on the tripod. This is not an issue with the newer IS on the large primes.

I noticed that in my 100-400L lens it says you cannot use IS when the unit is tripod mounted. Is this true of the 500-600mm prime lenses? If so then what is the point in having it in these lenses since you really cannot handhold these lenses?

Thanks.

It isnt a matter of cannot use the IS its just not recommended with the 100-400 as per Mark's description above :)

It isnt a matter of cannot use the IS its just not recommended with the 100-400 as per Mark's description above :)

To quote my booklet:

The image stabilizer should be off in the following situations. If the switch is on the image stabilizer may not operate correctly.
  • shots using a tripod

Thanks.

I'm not actually looking at my 100-400, but I believe that on some lenses there are 2 categories of IS. Mode 1 general use, and mode 2 tripod use. If the 100-400 does not have this, don't use IS on a tripod. I think this "confuses" the lens. And a Tripod should be steady enough anyway.B :)

I'm not actually looking at my 100-400, but I believe that on some lenses there are 2 categories of IS. Mode 1 general use, and mode 2 tripod use. If the 100-400 does not have this, don't use IS on a tripod. I think this "confuses" the lens. And a Tripod should be steady enough anyway.B :)

I think you have misunderstood the two settings...

1 corrects movement in both axis (up-down, left-right)
2 corrects movement in vertical axis only (up-down) - useful for panning.

I don't think the settings have any relevance to using support and what CCRII quotes from the manual is correct for the 100-400

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back