• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

And Finally.... Bird Mastermind 15...the last hurrah (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

Make this one last.......

I'll put in more pics of the bird on the water as we go....

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 158
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 169
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 179
Quick, no-one else has had a go. Stick down the first thing that comes to mind
1. Kentish Plover
2. Pallas' Reed Bunting
3. Rats, nothing comes to mind
4. White-billed Diver
5. White-fronted Geese

Seem to have missed the last one. Oh well:

1) Kentish Plover
2) Reed Bunting
3) Lesser Whitethroat
4) Great-northern Diver
5) White-fronted Goose

1)Kentish Plover
2)Reed Bunting
3)Lesser Whitethroat
4)White-billed Diver
5)Greylag Goose(just to be different:not sure if these can be ID'd from the photo?)
Harry H

Haven't looked at my books (still at work, so can't anyway):

1. Kentish Plover
2. Reed Bunting
3. Whitethroat
4. White-billed Diver
5. Pink-footed Geese (no idea why though!)

OK, Red-throated Diver.

Never was any good at geese - don't get enough practice down here, but they seem relatively thin-necked, so I'll guess Bean just for the hell of it.

Jason

Jane Turner said:
I'm afraid I do geese on call.... these included

I take that as a hint that they're regular near you, which I believe sort of narrows it down to Pink-feet or Canadas. I'll go for the latter.

Jason

Ok, once again-it is really already the last?

Kentish plover
Reed bunting
Lesser whitethroat
Gavia adamsii (is that whitebilled diver?)

and the geese are just a wild guess
Tundra bean goose

Well I guess any grey-headed Whitethroat isn't going to show such clean white underparts, so I'm going to heed my betters on that one. Current thinking:

1. Kentish Plover
2. Reed Bunting
3. Lesser Whitethroat
4. White-throated Diver
5. Pink-footed Goose

Jason

wink-wink-wink

Go on convince yourself they look small headed and short-necked. Pink-feet over my house!

Not sure what a White-throated diver is though!

The banana-bill is in a select band of rarities that I have seen from a licensed drinking establishment. What's more it was my second at Filey!

The others are of course Kentish Plover... As a kid I was lucky enough to have one spend four consecutive winters right by my house. I'm pretty sure I've not seen one since in the UK. This was taken on Lesvos.

The other two are Reed Bunting in not enough shadow to confuse you....I should have edited the bill shape, and Lesser Whitethroat.

Last edited:
Thanks a million for that wonderfully entertaining run of quizzes, Jane. Considering I made such an idiot of myself, why do I find myself hankering after more?

Jason

If you like I can dig out some old video stills. Usually of dubious quality and always guaranteed a less than helpful angle. Yes?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back