• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worlds Funniest Bird Name? (1 Viewer)

I like in Spanish the zitting Cisticola.
It's called Buitrón (Buitre=Vulture/ Buitrón=Enormous Vulture)
I enbjoy so much when I go with a non-birder:
-Look, a Buitrón
-Where, where?
-there, flying.
-why don't I see it if it's so big? It must be easy to spot :-O:-O:-O

I also like Bulo Berti Boubou, pity it's now not regarded a species but a colour morph of the much less interesting-sounding Somali Boubou.

Another great but now obsolete name is Lulu's Tody-tyrant, renamed Lulu's Tody-flycatcher.

If we were to get into amusing mammal names, there are loads of good 'uns. One that sticks in my memory is the Indefatigable Galapagos Mouse (not so indefatigable - it's extinct). Or moths - who wouldn't want to feast their eyes on a Lead-coloured Drab?

Chachalaca
Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker (for years I thought by dad was always just making up this bird)
Boobies
Ovenbird

Always found these names pretty funny.

Fluffy-backed Tit Babbler always raises a wry smile with me.

:-O That's a great one!

I've always thought Bearded Tit was quite a funny name, and woodcock as Reuven mentions above. My current favourite is the old name that became Wheatear - White arse!

Drab Water Tyrant always makes me chuckle, as for Blue Tits, they are commonly encountered on naturist beaches in southern England during the winter months

Nick

Nobody has really suggested any of the Hawaiian birds yet - how about the Kauai Oo, also known as the Ooaa? I would pronounce that as oo-aa, which sounds funny to me.

And Oahu Oo has a nice ring to it too.

Steve

Penduline Tit... hehehe, sorry couldn't resist!

... and a bit less immaturely named but still pretty weird... the Morepork and Rifleman of New Zealand.

Nobody has really suggested any of the Hawaiian birds yet - how about the Kauai Oo, also known as the Ooaa? I would pronounce that as oo-aa, which sounds funny to me.

And Oahu Oo has a nice ring to it too.

Steve

Is that the Ooaa bird, "so called because it lays square eggs"? ;)

I'm fond of Wakolo Myzomela, Comechingones Cinclodes, Superciliated Hemispingus, and the now outdated Lesser Scaly-breasted Wren Babbler.

I like the old wheatear name wheatarse too. The German for chiffchaff, Zip Zap, always raises a smile. Has an electrical quality about it methinks.

Si.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back