• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harrier ID please (India) (1 Viewer)

prasad

photographed this Harrier in Gujarat,India. Is it a Juvenile Hen Harrier ?? or a juvenile Montague's Harrier ?? i missed the flight image and could get only half the bird.

thanks.

Prasad.

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 94
  • Image 4.jpg
    Image 4.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 77
Picture taken in January 2009 no?

My first clue is the flight shot, which shows a broad-winger Harrier with 5 distinct primary tips on show (Monty's and Pallid would show 4). So that tells me it is a Hen.
The contrasting facial pattern and bold streaking on the underparts are indicative of Juvenile Hen. As are the dark-brown upperparts with rufous edged feather fringes and tips.
It is possible to see the irides as darkish-brown. This would make it a juvenile female IMO.
Other opinions are available...;)

(Hoping I've discounted any other confusion Harrier in India including Eastern Marsh and Pied, which also show 5 primary tips...)

http://www.ruffordsmallgrants.org/files/Harrier in India.pdf

Just bumped this at 153 views and 1 reply...

Just interested that others might have different input, or discussion?

Perhaps to give Prasad another viewpoint?

I believe it is a juvenile female Hen Harrier...but I might be wrong in my ID!:cat:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back