• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow Warbler & Common Whitethroat please - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
I think the PP is long enough for Willow Warbler, but I'm not sure. The Common Whitethroat looked a bit chubby and also lacking colour, but I can't see what else it can be.

Thanks

Attachments

• P1030312RGpf.JPG
    P1030312RGpf.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 191
  • P1030463RG2pf.JPG
    P1030463RG2pf.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 180
Going to disagree, it's a Chiffchaff for me. I don't believe you can see the PP well enough. The other features such as prominent eye ring, dark legs, dark cheek, and any lack of strong yellow tones are all pro Chiff.
Agree with Whitethroat for the second

Well, so Chris doesn't feel isolated; I'll say Willow Warbler|=)|

EDIT: I might be able to sort out some more pics if needed, but not until later.

chiffchaff for me, bill is small and all dark, there is a pale half cresecent under the eye, virtually no supercilium, dark legs and the PP is short.

Thanks for the replies, Chiffchaff it is.

I've sorted out a few more pictures, and I think it looks much more Chiffchaff-like in these. I've attached two of them, as it might help Chris to change his mind|=)|.

I've some blurry pics of another bird, but it was distant and poorly lit, so I don't think it's worth people guessing. It might not even be Warbler.|=)|

Attachments

• P1030313RGpf.JPG
    P1030313RGpf.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 74
  • P1030310RGpf.JPG
    P1030310RGpf.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 79
Yet another for Chiffchaff... based largely on the face pattern, somewhat subjectively. As has been said here before (maybe by Jane), on Chiffs, the eyering dominates the face, while on WW, it's the supercilium that dominates.

What can be seen of the wing in the last picture also support CC. Can't really see anything pointing away from Chiffchaff.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back