• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-rumped or Western Sandpiper (1 Viewer)

Cantobello

These peeps are so difficult. Who tends to agree that especially the first one is a white-rumped sandpiper. The bill is more that of a western sandpiper, but it seems large and for a western SP the streaks on the side of the breast should have molted 'away' right?
Taken in Sint Maarten, 31 July.

Thanks,
Ronald

Attachments

• IMG_9911_2_2.jpg
    IMG_9911_2_2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_9911_2.jpg
    IMG_9911_2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 211
I see what appears to be chevrons on the flank of the first picture, but kind of hard to see. I'd vote for Western with a clearer image.

We had a massive fallout of white-rumps here last week and none of them had as much markings on the breast as this bird does.

I vote western, too.

Based on body shape I would go for Western. White-rumped has a longer primary projection, giving it a much more attenuated shape.

On further consideration I'd go for Western too. I think the "large" size is a trick of the light, so with wings that short it can't be White-rumped. The bill looks better for Western than Semipalmated (are there other points against Semipalmated?).

Molt and plumage in peeps can be quite variable, so one has to look at a variety of characteristics.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back