• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-billed dowitcher (1 Viewer)

Cantobello

All,

I first thought this is a long-billed dowitcher since it's already molted considering the white flanks and belly and the still lasting quite clear barring on the flanks. But still the barring on the tail seems a bit white (can be the quality of the pic) instead of more black? It also fed apart from groups of short-billed dowitchers.
I still think a long-billed dowitcher, but how about you?

Thanks,
ROnald

Attachments

• DSC08071.jpg
    DSC08071.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC08072.jpg
    DSC08072.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 102
Hi,

prominent white fringes to the wing coverts and lack of dark grey feather centres there and on scapulars make this more likely a Short-billed Dowitcher, in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back