• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Branston Gravel Pits - 19/12/02 (1 Viewer)

PaulMunro

Well, my decision to come out of 'night shift' retirement has been extremely fruitfull as far as birding is concerned.
An early start this morning yielded the following on a 2 hour visit before heading home for a dose of Richard and Judy AND THEN BED(errr Philip and Fern ??)
If anyone is planning a visit here, it is extremely flooded and tricky underfoot - caution at al times !
Due to the high water levels there seems to be very little wader activity here at the moment.

Branston Gravel Pits - 2 Miles south west of Burton Upon Trent.
Coot
Moorhen
Tufted Duck
Little Grebe
Mute Swan
Wigeon
Teal
Cormorant
Grey Heron
Little Egret (2nd New bird at this site)
Another Bird was seen 30 minutes later on floods at Branston Golf and Country Club, not sure if it was the same bird.

Buzzard (a first for me at this site)
Kestrel

Goldfinch
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Coal Tit
Great Spotted Woodpecker (and again later in my Garden !)
Chaffinch
Treecreeper
Cormorant

Fieldfare - 300 +
Red Wing

PM

---------------------------------------B :)

Nice selection. The Little Egret is a very nice touch at this time of the year or any time for that matter ;) - not to mention the Buzzard.

Everything else we are getting too, though only the odd Treecreeper whilst they are normally quite common.

Paul

Which part of the gravel pits? Do you mean the "water park" bit or the pits on the north side of the T&M? I always find it a bit confusing when people refer to Branston as there is quite a large area to be covered north of the canal!

Al

Nice one burhinus !!
Sorry MM, I should have been more specific, I mean the actual pits themselves, they are certainly some still in use, as I was aproached by a foreman who extremely friendly and was OK about me being there

PM
-----------------------------------------------

You mean there's more??? Now I am confused! Maybe we should meet up sometime and you can give me and Ali a guided tour! (And if we can drag JJ away from his Norfolk lists, we might help him identify a few Midland spots!)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back